Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A warning about Mexico.

My surgeon and I are becoming fairly cordial and he has shared a few things he has ran across since he does fills on bands that have previously been placed.

Mexico doesn't have to follow the same standards USA docs do. He has found some patients with just a port and no band. Others have had just gauze wrapped around where the band would be.

I realize that there are some very successful bands done out of the US, but do your due diligence and don't believe ANYTHING they tell you until you have proof.

The only doctor I would trust in Tijuana, Mexico is Dr. ariel Ortiz. Very famous, and the pioneer in Mexico. The lapband was first introduced in Europe and then was brought to Mexico by Dr. Ortiz. It was then brought to the US by Dr. lee Grossbard from Zephyrhills, Fl., my doctor!

Wise words. I'd add to that warning about going to Mexico:

- Check to see what size band they use ahead of time. A lot of Mexican surgeons use outdated 4cc bands because they are cheaper. 4cc bands are no longer used in the US because of the high rate of slips and other complications.

-Get a doctor at home to agree to treat and fill you before you get the surgery. A great majority of US surgeons won't treat patients banded in Mexico because of the liabilities they take on by doing so. So, it's very important to establish who will care for you at home post surgery before ever going to Mexico.

This is just my opinion, but I firmly believe when it comes to matters of your health (and very life) it's not the time to try to be bargain hunting. As the old saying goes- you get what you paid for.

Ummm... Have you guys talked to people who have had lap bands in Mexico?? Dr. Rodriquez (see Beliteweight.com for his bio/resume) is a leading lap band surgeon. They use Alergan brand lap bands. There is no gauze left in your body. That's funny though. I have done a ton of research and talked to many references of people who have had lapband in Mexico. Please don't spread the fear about getting surgery in Mexico. Talk to people first. In fact I'll let you know how mine goes next Friday Februrary 22;). Yay!!! Only 5K in Mexico and my follow up care/fills will be $150-190 here in Portland.

Ummm... Have you guys talked to people who have had lap bands in Mexico?? Dr. Rodriquez (see BeLiteWeight.com for his bio/resume) is a leading lap band surgeon. They use Alergan brand lap bands. There is no gauze left in your body. That's funny though. I have done a ton of research and talked to many references of people who have had lapband in Mexico. Please don't spread the fear about getting surgery in Mexico. Talk to people first. In fact I'll let you know how mine goes next Friday Februrary 22;). Yay!!! Only 5K in Mexico and my follow up care/fills will be $150-190 here in Portland.

No one is trying to scare anyone. We're just trying to warn others of some of the hazards of going to Mexico if you're not extremely careful.

It's a fact that many places in Mexico still use the outdated 4cc band- even though it's been proven to result in many complications and slips. Sadly, I have seen two people come back from Mexico with 4cc bands within the last month on these forums.

It's also a fact that many US doctors won't touch a patient banded in Mexico because of the liability factor. I'm not saying none will. Some definitely do. But it is imperative to have a doctor to handle your post op care and fills before ever having the surgery in Mexico.

I don't mean this offensively, but "talking to people" is irrelevant. What matters is the facts, not anecdotal evidence. I would never begrudge someone the right to get their band wherever they choose. But just like US patients need all the fact of their surgeons and the procedure ahead of time, so do patients traveling to Mexico but even more so. When you go to Mexico, you have no medical or legal recourse if something goes wrong like you would in the US.

Ummm... Have you guys talked to people who have had lap bands in Mexico?? Dr. Rodriquez (see BeLiteWeight.com for his bio/resume) is a leading lap band surgeon. They use Alergan brand lap bands. There is no gauze left in your body. That's funny though. I have done a ton of research and talked to many references of people who have had lapband in Mexico. Please don't spread the fear about getting surgery in Mexico. Talk to people first. In fact I'll let you know how mine goes next Friday Februrary 22;). Yay!!! Only 5K in Mexico and my follow up care/fills will be 150-190 here in Portland.

May I ask which surgeon in Portland?

Like most people who go to Mexico for the band, I did my homework and chose a well-respected surgeon at a center for excellence - Dr. Ariel Ortiz, a gastric band pioneer who trains US docs. I knew the risks and set myself up with a local nutritionist and ARNP to do my fills prior to surgery.

I honestly don't believe your surgeon had ports with no bands, or gauze wrapped around the stomach. I think there is a culture of fear surrounding Mexican surgeries, propagated by those who stand to lose business, etc. Unfortunately, there are those who don't line up aftercare and don't research their options, but those few stories are the ones that get passed along so readily on these forums.

Also, there was a comment about not bargain hunting when it comes to your health -- that's not exactly fair. Some of us were only able to have the surgery because of the relatively low cost. If I were to self-pay here in Seattle, I would never have come up with the money - it took me almost a year to save 5k, I couldn't wait 3-4 more years. We all know how helpless we feel once we choose weight loss surgery, some of us just don't have the money to make it happen.

I used Dr. Alberto Aceves in Mexicali and I'm extremely pleased with my surgery. I am only 10 days post op, but I had the most wonderful experience with Dr. Aceves and his entire staff. The hospital was emaculate, the hospital suite I stayed in for the few days post op was very comfortable, and I was looked after by the Dr. and his team with the utmost care. I would recommend his practice to anyone looking for lapband at a great price.

I had my surgery in may of 2009. I went to dr kuri in Mexico. I am reading through all of this info about him using the 4cc band (the old one) I have had no problems with this band, but should I be worried even 4 yrs after surgery? It's kind of freaking me out now.

I had my surgery in may of 2009. I went to dr kuri in Mexico. I am reading through all of this info about him using the 4cc band (the old one) I have had no problems with this band, but should I be worried even 4 yrs after surgery? It's kind of freaking me out now.

If you haven't had any problems thus far, I wouldn't think there would be any. If you are having problems or think you might need a fill eventually, start searching for a doc now. It might be hard to find one.

If you haven't had any problems thus far' date=' I wouldn't think there would be any. If you are having problems or think you might need a fill eventually, start searching for a doc now. It might be hard to find one.[/quote']

I've already had many fills. I think the one I have now is the best one yet. It takes a while to figure out how a "perfect" fill feels.

I had plastics in Monterrey, MX and lap band last week with Dr. Aceves in MX. I had PS here at home one time, and RNY several years ago here at home.

I still talk with my Mexican PS surgeon. He was caring and I had a daily personal nurse come to my hotel before I could go home. After my LB in MX I was motoring around with my IV pole the same day. The have different rules about anesthesia- for me it was MUCH better than surgery at home.

I will say I have a 4cc band, but I didn't argue. They had the AP and realize. 4cc have higher complication but better restriction sensation. Since mine is band over my bypass pouch, I figured higher pressure was better.

What do I know! But I know I have a band and port. Fluro to prove it. I can't imagine where people are getting gauze instead. I believe bad things happen everywhere.

No one is trying to scare anyone. No were just all reporting EXPERIENCES that we have had :rolleyes: part of what this forum seems adverse to? Does it matter where the surgery is performed? Yes, I'm sure it does. But again like one poster mentioned and it is a Fact that Some of the Surgeon's that have been mentioned here have TRAINED some of the U.S. surgeons so what does that say about the U.S. surgeons? We're just trying to warn others of some of the hazards of going to Mexico or having a Lap Band in General if you're not extremely careful.

It's a fact that many places in Mexico still use the outdated 4cc band- I'd love to see the data on this fact, I'd call this more hearsay. even though it's been proven to result in many complications and slips. and 5% of the AP , realize, allergan bands have the same complications.

It's also a fact that many US doctors won't touch a patient banded in Mexico because of the liability factor. And yet people have posted here that they have gotten a lap band by a doctor in mexico and they do their follow-up with U.S. doctors Well that FACT was just negated.. But it is imperative to have a doctor to handle your post op care and fills before ever having the surgery in Mexico.OR in the U.S. for that matter :)

. When you go to Mexico, you have no medical or legal recourse if something goes wrong like you would in the US . Well unless the band kills you you don't have any legal recourse here in the U.S. either Allergan has seen to that by stating in their own document

Special Notice

The manufacturer of the LAP-BAND AP® Adjustable Gastric

Banding System has designed, tested and manufactured it to be

reasonably fit for its intended use. However, the LAP-BAND AP®

System is not a lifetime product and it may break or fail, in whole

or in part, at any time after implantation and notwithstanding

the absence of any defect. Causes of partial or complete failure

include, without limitation, expected or unexpected bodily

reactions to the presence and position of the implanted device,

rare or atypical medical complications, component failure

and normal wear and tear. In addition, the LAP-BAND AP®

System may be easily damaged by improper handling or use.

Please refer to the adverse events section in this document

and to the Information for Patients booklet for a presentation

of the warnings, precautions, and the possible adverse events

associated with the use of the LAP-BAND AP® Adjustable Gastric

Banding System.

Thus releasing them from Liability. ;)

A little Unknown FACT about Mexico and the Surgeons

It was the MX surgeons that perfected the band and the surgical technique as best they could. It was approved for use in MX 10 years prior to being approved in the US. It was the MX surgeons thatproctored the US surgeons in bands. Due to that Allergan cut them a deal, MX surgeons got the band for $2K each but US surgeons had to pay $4k per band. (Yes, that is COST!) Well, then they came out with the mega band and they wanted people staying in the US for surgery because they made double the money so they refused to sell the mega bands to MX surgeons to try and force people to stay in the US and pay double for their stupid bands. That one kind of back fired on them because the mega bands turned out to be no better than the smaller bands. Matter of fact, Canadian surgeons actually have a choice between the old band and the mega band. They prefer the smaller bands, people have a better shot at actually getting restriction. US surgeons have no choice, they can only buy the mega bands.

And if you don't believe that last fact, ask your doctor for a 4cc band,I'm sure he will come up with a load of excuses why you can't have one, But NEED a larger AP band instead ;)