Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The thought of losing weight and getting healthy are GREAT but does anyone else have the same fears that I do? What will be the long term effects of my band? Will the band eventually erode into my stomach as I age? Do I still want to be maintaining a band when I'm in my 60's or 70's? Since i'm not going through my insurance any future problems or complications will be out of my pocket. It's scary.....

I honestly don't worry, and here's why:

The reality is, something could go happen or go wrong with my band. Many medical devices have to be replaced over time. A good example- my mom had 2 artificial knees when she was only 40 years old. She knew she'd end up looking at another surgery someday because the knees wouldn't last her lifetime. My mom is now about to turn 60 years old and her knees are getting sore. She knew this day would come. But, if you ask her, she'd still do it again because she had 20 years of pain free living and mobility with her new knees.

I see the band the same way. Because I was only 38 when I got my band, I'm realistic and fully expect at some point I'll be outliving the life of my band. But I am totally fine with that. I've lost 185 pounds so far and I know I'll lose the rest of my weight, too. So if I have to have it removed in a decade or two, it'll still have been totally worth it because I could've never lost this weight alone.

Intersting question I don't do future thinking to much you could scare yourself from life. if I don't lose weight I will die from complication for sure. This is something you need to talk to your doctor about .would have the experience with long term care

I was very nervous to start with. However, with any WLS you can have problems and complications. I knew several people who took the bypass aproach, a couple have lost weight only to gain it back, one is doing perfect, one lost weight, but is having a hard time with keeping levels in balance due to in ablility to absorb nutrients.

I talked to my doctor. I ask would I have to replace my band one day, he said possibly, just like some people have to have a second knee replacement if they live long enough. I may not ever have an issue, I know some people who have had their band 15 years with no problems. Once I reach my goal weight and have good restriction I won't have to go see the doctor nearly as often. My doctor likes to have patients come in about once a year once they get to maintance unless they are having a problem.

For me the band was the right choice. I wanted to loose weight, but I didn't want to have problems absorbing nutrients. If a day comes and my band has to go I will reevaluate along with my doctor to see if I get a new band or go to the sleeve. But, that day may never happen so I am not going to worry about it for now.

So do any of you know if the band can just stay unfilled in your body after 15-20 years or would it have to be removed?

There are always risks and issues that can arise. For me.....the rewards so far outweight those concerns that I really don't think that far ahead. As long as I follow the rules.....I have to believe those issues are slim. But to add another example: I have a friend who had a boob job, 12-15 years later she needs to replace them. We are all told this up front.....it can happen...but don't get anxious about it.

So do any of you know if the band can just stay unfilled in your body after 15-20 years or would it have to be removed?

My surgeon told me that the band was safe to leave inside the body (with or without fill) for a lifetime. It's made of biocompatible ingredients, like artificial joints and other medical devices. Yes, complications are possible, but that's true of every WLS procedure. Since the band was approved for use in the USA in 2001 (12 years ago), you're probably not going to find anyone here who can tell you what banded life is like after 15-20 years. You might be able to get feedback about that from bandsters located in Australia, Europe, and the UK. Maybe ask about it in one of the forums listed here:

http://www.lapbandta...support-groups/

A bariatric surgeon is really the best person to tell you about the long-term safety and implications of band surgery, but depending on low long they've been in practice, they may not have anyone in their current practice who has been banded as long as 12 years. It's entirely possible that those patients lost their weight and moved on to new and wonderful things.

Removing a band is possible if medically necessary but is not something you'd do (I hope) just because you felt you were done with it, because it's not as easy as band placement because of scar tissue from the original surgery.

I loved my band, but If I were a self-pay patient like you, I probably wouldn't choose the band because I'd be afraid that I couldn't afford to pay for enough adjustments (adding and removing saline) to help me lose weight and to deal with any side effects or complications. I can't recommend the sleeve because I'm not getting along with mine very well, and I have no personal experience of other WLS procedures. You can get feedback on those procedures at LBT's affiliate sites (shown at the bottom of the forum page).

From reading past and presents posts here from our veteran bandsters, doing some research on the internet, and speaking with my surgeon, it’s all inconclusive what the longevity of the band is.

However, like any hardware/device that is foreign in our bodies maintenance is key. I have a total hip replaced and every year I get that hip looked at/tested/x-rayed by my orthopedic surgeon. Just as the band, I will also have it looked at/tested/x-rayed to make sure everything is fine and still functioning.

I have had two knee replacements because of my weight, while I am not experiencing problems now, chances are my hips would be next. Either of those surgeries carry infinitely more risk than my band (if I am follow the rules). That doesn't even address the other factors like Heart Disease, Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, etc. that my weight was putting me at risk for. Loosing weight was not simply something that would be nice to do, it allows me to live longer with a higher quality of life, for me it was a simple risk versus benefit analysis. An extremely easy decision.

i am not worried about what may happen down the road. i will deal if and when it comes up that there is a problem. to my knowledge and from what my dr said, my band (dixie) will be with me forever. thank heavens for that as i on my way.....