Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Veteran starting all over again...

Hello folks...some may remember me...I was banded in 2007, lost 130 pounds, had a lower body lift and breast lift with augmentation and was the healthiest I have ever been. Then, on December 7, 2010 I was diagnosed with breast cancer and that's when the weight began. Following surgery and treatment I had packed on 20 pounds. My outlook on life changed after hearing "cancer" and I wanted to enjoy every minute of life and wasn't paying attention to calories and didn't take time to work out. I had also gone through a divorce but was dating an amazing man. Six months after treatment ended I was pregnant. Fear went through my body for many reasons...pregnancy wasn't good for someone who just beat breast cancer (hormone positive) and I was terrified of the weight gain. Well, after a very stressful pregnancy I gave birth to a beautiful, healthy baby boy (I'm no longer mom of 2 boys). I gave birth in May 2012. My LapBand surgeon said I could begin to get my band filled again but first I needed an upper GI. I had the upper GI and was ready to get back on track but my surgeon had other plans...he said I had a small hiatal hernia and he had to remove my band. I was devastated and depression was setting in, until I went somewhere else for a second opinion...I started getting fills in November and after my third fill, in January, I finally have restriction. So here I am starting all over. I have 70 pounds to lose. I'm sad but I know I can do it because I did it before.

Welcome back.. Like you say. You know do it again... just sorry you have to! You have had a long journey, but stick with it and you will get yourself back again!

Welcome back Tina. Are you in DC? I lived in Maryland for 40 years before moving to Florida. Congrats on the good news on both your cancer and your new bay boy! With your great attitude, you will lose the weight!

Hi Tina - wow what a story! And CONGRATS to you for beating breast cancer! YEAH GIRL!!!! KICK ITS A$$!!! :D

Congrats on your baby boy, too!

I'm in a similar boat. I was banded in 2004, lost 100 lbs, got the lower body lift, arms, breast lift...and have had a malfunctioning band since year 2. I would get fills for a solid year, monthly, and each month I'd be empty. I had the port replaced, then the tubing replaced, and then I got pregnant. And the band disconnected completely last April! So I gained 65 lbs with pregnancy (beautiful baby girl!), am now at a net loss of 50 lbs out of the 100, but still want to get down at least 80.

I just got rebanded on Monday - new model. I had the old 4cc band, so I am starting all over again and taking nothing for granted. What worked last time may not work this time. But I feel like I got the emotional roller coaster of being banded for life out of my system 8 years ago, and now I'm a smart veteran. No hysteria, no fear, no anxiety. We know how this works, don't we? :)

It sucks we're the "do overs" but I think it happens to us because we're strong, and we can handle it. Looking forward to the journey with you. Keep us posted on your progress :)

Yes, you are do overs, but you both have those marvelous babies to hold and love while you lose your excess weights. Congrats to you both! Karen

Hey Tina... i have been following your story for years. You have been and still are one of my biggest inspiration on this site,... I wish you all the luck and Pleaseeee keep us posted.