Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight gain

I was banded on March 9th (2012) and was doing awesome until October. I went into the red zone, had unfill due to not getting liquids down.. Beginning of Nov. I get another fill and do well until 2 days before Thanksgiving. I got stuck on turkey, spent 5 hours in the ER in extreme pain and ended up vomiting the food up. My Dr is 3 hours away so I thought the ER was quicker to get to since I was having very bad chest pain. Anyways, I went to see my surgeon and he was livid that I even went to the ER not to mention that I vomited. He gave me a very stern lecture and took out another full cc.. I was going on vacation at Christmas so I couldn't get another fill.. So I am far from the green zone but since my unfill, I have gained almost 15 pounds!! I am still watching what I eat (carbs under 80g a day), mainly Protein and drinking Water. I know when I go back to the Dr on the 21st of Jan, he is going to be upset about the weight gain. :( What's going on? Any good ideas on getting back on track? I am currently doing jazzercise several times a week so I am active.

That's unfortunate. Of course, you now know that dry chicken and turkey are not very compatible with the band unless it's in fingernail size portions 1 minute apart.

And I guess some doctors bedside manner reflects how they parent too? My doctor is more on the nurturing side and I like that. If I make a mistake he seems to understand. After all, it's the patient population they chose and should be well aware of our weaknesses.

Find a diet that you've had success with in the past and utilize it till you get a fill that gets you back to the green zone. It's so easy to fill up and be satisfied if you stick with lean meats, veggies, salads etc. I've found that I love Salmon more than ever now. I also cooked up some great red stuffed peppers. So easy and if you use a real low fat hamburger it's only about 300 calories per serving. Get involved with one of your favorite low cal recipe books and rediscover how good healthy food is again.

And, see a nutritionist.

tmf

I'm using MFP and staying under my calorie suggestion and way under my carb count. I'm getting almost all of my Protein in.. I didn't know about the turkey until I got stuck :( Hard lesson learned.

Ya know, this weight loss journey is just that .... a journey. Sometimes it's a smooth journey, other times, not so much.

You might want to change things up a little. Look on other people's food diaries on MFP to get new food ideas. Try new recipe's. I would even try a different form of exercise as well.

Most importantly, your Dr seems to have a shi**y bed-side manner, so don't let him get to you. Let him know you're trying & think the fill will help with the restriction. Take one day at a time, one pound at a time.

I was banded on March 9th (2012) and was doing awesome until October. I went into the red zone' date=' had unfill due to not getting liquids down.. Beginning of Nov. I get another fill and do well until 2 days before Thanksgiving. I got stuck on turkey, spent 5 hours in the ER in extreme pain and ended up vomiting the food up. My Dr is 3 hours away so I thought the ER was quicker to get to since I was having very bad chest pain. Anyways, I went to see my surgeon and he was livid that I even went to the ER not to mention that I vomited. He gave me a very stern lecture and took out another full cc.. I was going on vacation at Christmas so I couldn't get another fill.. So I am far from the green zone but since my unfill, I have gained almost 15 pounds!! I am still watching what I eat (carbs under 80g a day), mainly Protein and drinking Water. I know when I go back to the Dr on the 21st of Jan, he is going to be upset about the weight gain. :( What's going on? Any good ideas on getting back on track? I am currently doing jazzercise several times a week so I am active.[/quote']

Sorry to hear. Something similar happen to me. You will be ok. I gain 20lbs, i went on a seven day cruise. When i got back i had an appointment fill and weight in.

To my surprise i had lost six lbs. I ate every day just a few bites of everything. You will get back on track. Good luck.

Two week liquid diet before you go back to the doctor? Should drop about 10-15 lbs. I'd still make the physician aware of the problem.

Thanks all! Just feeling really disappointed lately.. Hoping to get back on track soon!

Thanks all! Just feeling really disappointed lately.. Hoping to get back on track soon!

do not get discouraged okay. i know you are... the dr is who you paid to take care of you..you are the one in charge the boss......to gain weight, you have to take in more calories than you burn off (3500 cals is a pound whether its ate or drank). did you really overeat that many extra calories??

i dont think so.....as mis said, are you stopping at 1 cup of food? are you eating veggies and fruit? i see you are doing Protein and that is good but what types of carbs are you referring too as you just said carbs?? i suggest as the others said, go to your dr. advise them of what is going on, (remember head up, shoulders back and work this).....and if you are able, get a fill but DEF tell them what is going on...

you are doing super fantastic. keep on doing it...whats done is done. so you gained, so what. ...you know exactly what to do to lose it and keep it off... :)

I just pray I never have to have a unfil how scary when things are going so well. I am sending you hugs and prays that things get back on track for you...keep focus I know its hard but you can do it and go in to the doctor earlier if you can.

We all have our ups and our downs. As long as you are doing what needs to be done you'll be fine.

I'm confused as to why your surgeon would lecture you. Some bariatric doctors are just downright mean... Hate that! You may want to try liquids for a couple of days and "restart" so to speak. I would not worry about the weight gain. That's to be expected with your unfills and stuck episode. Log your food, try to stick to low salt, natural foods, and keep up the exercise. Things will go back to normal soon. You're doing great!

I made a delicious ground turkey with mushrooms stuffed green pepper the other day. I usually post and all, but honestly I got caught up in other things. food such as ground turkey needs to be moistened up so that not only does it taste good, but its not dry.

Here is a wonderful excellent food recipe site, I have made tons of food from here and everything has come out deeeeeeeeelish and moist! http://www.skinnytaste.com/

Enjoy....

Thank you all again! Everyone gave great advice and is always so helpful here. I will definitely check out that site! I found a low carb recipe site on pinterest that I want to try out as well.

http://peaceloveandlowcarb.blogspot.com/p/re.html