Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How can you tell if your pouch has stretched?? :(

First, you should fill out your profile so we know you better?

I don't know but I do know it takes quite a while and lots of continuous overeating or eating too quickly. It looks like you're new so if you ate something or too much, your pouch is not stretched. If you eat too quickly for several months, you could wind up with a stretched pouch. But in almost all cases, you would be having many stuck episodes resulting in a stretched pouch or esophogus.jmo

tmf

Well thank you for that info.

Also I use my phone to get on here and it does not let me fill out my profile and barely let's me change my pic. If that . So I apologize if I do not have enough info about my self. I will try to get on with a computer next time.

Thanks

Like 2muchfun said, it is NOT something that happens instantaneous....

Just like your belly getting big before loosing the weight, it comes from continuous overeating - overfilling your pouch.....

For me....this is almost impossible to do, once I hit the Green Zone....If I try to over eat it would be disastrous....(I tried and learned my lessons)

But I also believe the Pouch can and does stretch a little from time to time simply from over use....and for myself, I can tell this when my portion sizes are becoming larger than usual....

When this happens, I go full liquids for a day or 2-3, and things will return to normal.

Some people refer to this as the "5 Day Pouch Test" which isn't a test at all actually, but someone's clever procedure to simply let the pouch get a rest and return to it's original shape.

I do this at least once a month for maintenance....keeps me "tight" and in the Green!

So a stretched pouch is temporary? Or is it?

So a stretched pouch is temporary? Or is it?

Yes, in most cases.... Generally the surgeon will prescribe a few days of liquid ( 5 day pouch test?) but if that does not help, sometimes due to patient non compliance but not always, the surgeon is forced to do a complete unfill to give the band a rest untill things settle down. Ether way the thinking is the same.

Most people I know, myself included, having reached their goal and no more fills ever needed, will routinely do a few days liquid as a time out rest.

Amazing! I've been doing this as a way to jump start my diet and eating habits. I go to Protein shakes for 2 meals a day and some nonfat yougurt the other meal for 2-3 days then return back to smaller eating habits. This will help keep you tight. Thanks B-52 for saying you do this also. It seems to work in the past for me, and I use this method as a way to "tweak" myself and my pouch again. I didn't know there were other's here that do this also.

Best wishes

I know that I need to make sure to use my band as a tool and I am learning, and taking it slow. I was banded on 12/28 and have just this week been fighting the hunger. I've eaten a little more than I think I am supposed to and have been freaked out that I messed something up. So I am glad to have stumbled on this post. I know it's not a free pass or anything, and I am glad to know about the "tune-up" for maintaining when I reach goal weight!

I know that I need to make sure to use my band as a tool and I am learning' date=' and taking it slow. I was banded on 12/28 and have just this week been fighting the hunger. I've eaten a little more than I think I am supposed to and have been freaked out that I messed something up. So I am glad to have stumbled on this post. I know it's not a free pass or anything, and I am glad to know about the "tune-up" for maintaining when I reach goal weight![/quote']

I also was banded the 28th and it is hard.. I'm in the same situation so I was just wondering and making sure because I was scared

I'm only seven days banded n am curious. So does this mean you need to go for a fill. N just how much are you ladies eating. I've heard the average amount Is about 1 cup. My doc said I should see him in 3 weeks n that I barely got a fill during surgery. I feel satisfied at about 3/4 cup of food n am trying to keep the high Protein to stay satisfied longer.

brannewmee - For me, I definitely cannot eat as much as i used to for sure and I am still losing each day (very incremental at this point (.5 or less a day, but still downward). It is just that it is easier to eat more than a cup of food, particularly with "mushies." So I would just be prepared at the end of week 2/beginning of week 3 that you might have to deal with that. Hopefully you won't! ;)

My doc did say that the 2nd and 3rd weeks are a little more like traditional dieting, so you just have to know that and know that it will get easier to not feel hungry once you get to the green zone. The plan they have me on is to eat much smaller meals than 1 cup and more frequently. However, I let myself get too hungry last night and could have made better choices. I have had my first post-op where they check incisions, etc. and my next appt is next week to check the Fluid in the band and refill it.

I just have to keep reminding myself that I paid a lot of money for this to work (insurance covered at least half, but i was self pay for the rest) so I don't want to blow it!! You'd think that would go without saying.... :)

brannewmee - For me, I definitely cannot eat as much as i used to for sure and I am still losing each day (very incremental at this point (.5 or less a day, but still downward). It is just that it is easier to eat more than a cup of food, particularly with "mushies." So I would just be prepared at the end of week 2/beginning of week 3 that you might have to deal with that. Hopefully you won't! ;)

My doc did say that the 2nd and 3rd weeks are a little more like traditional dieting, so you just have to know that and know that it will get easier to not feel hungry once you get to the green zone. The plan they have me on is to eat much smaller meals than 1 cup and more frequently. However, I let myself get too hungry last night and could have made better choices. I have had my first post-op where they check incisions, etc. and my next appt is next week to check the Fluid in the band and refill it.

I just have to keep reminding myself that I paid a lot of money for this to work (insurance covered at least half, but i was self pay for the rest) so I don't want to blow it!! You'd think that would go without saying.... :)

If you ask me, the 2nd and 3rd MONTHS are nothing more than traditional dieting....It took me maybe 4-5 months of VERY HARD WORK before I finally got the band optimally adjusted and things started to get easier....then after 6-7 months, when I figured out how to "Do It".....it has been pure freedom ever since.....

But those first months, PHASE II, Bandster Hell.....that was the hardest of all....if it was a true traditional diet as in the past with so many other diets, I would have thrown in the towel.....very frustrating to have surgery and have to face that all over again....but until the band is properly adjusted, there is nothing else one can do but "White Knuckle" it all the way to Phase 3......

I found out during my first visit 11/27/12 that I was already filled 5.4cc the day of my surgery which was 10/24/12. I just got my 2nd fill yesterday 1-9-12 that I really didnt need since they filled so much so soon. I'm at 6.6cc & am down 23lbs. I didnt have to do a pre surgery diet or anything because I am a a self pay. Its working out pretty good, considering I dont excersize, but I just joined the gym & will start MOnday