Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

am I doing something wrong?

Hi everyone,

I was banded 10/16/12(53 days ago). My starting weight was 265.2, and day of surgery was 250.8. I weighed in at day 49, and I'm 43lbs down., and no fill yet. I'm ECSTATIC but, a little worried. I do what I'm suppose to (1cup of food per meal, everything healthy, not feeling hungry etc), except my working out is lagging. I think I've put in 3 full fledged workouts, some I did half assed, and I don't get enough Water..probably around 30-40oz day. Before you go criticizing, I know I'm not doing things right...but I'm wondering... what are the effects of what I'm doing? Will my band slip? Will I hurt myself?

I have an issue following routine..but I'm going to try hard.

Thoughts/comments?

Just set a goal for tomorrow to do everything right. Drink your fluids, eat right and do some exercise. Take it one day at a time, it will get easier.

The only obstacle I see you hitting is a plateau down the road if you don't get on the exercise bandwagon. Everyone is different, and the band is a tool in the whole program. Kudos to you for doing the eating healthy part right. Just work on the liquids to keep yourself healthy.

The only thing that I can see that may harm you is the Water intake. Dehydration is the biggest issue.. Dehydration effects the kidneys among other things. High Protein diets have an effect on the kidneys, causing stones. ( I've had issues in the past) Drinking enough fluids ensure proper function of the kidneys by flushing them out.

Also, After you wash your dishes you rinse them off right? Well drinking Water is a way to rinse the fat out of your body.

As far as exercise goes, you'll get there. Or not. There are people who do not formally exercise during their journey but are still successful. It's not recommended though.

For me, learning the new lifestyle and hitting the gym hard is too much to add to my already very full life. I just started a week ago doing three TRX classes a week. ( banded oct 5)

I look at this journey like I'm learning to juggle. Give me one ball and I'll toss that, once I've got that down toss me in another one, and so on.

Keep doing your successful actions. Increase your water intake however you can, and be aware of how much you move.

You are doing great!

I wouldn't worry so much. Stress makes loosing weight harder. First off the first month or so is healing time not a time to worry about losing - if you do lose great. As long as you are sticking to YOUR DOCTORS ORDERS, you are ok.

Yes, drinking more Water will help with weight loss. When I went to my NUT 2 weeks post-op I told her I wasn't drinking enough Water. She said it was hard to begin with to get it all in, but to try increasing it a little every day until I go it where it needed to be. I did that- some days I drink more than others, but I do get at least 60 oz a day.

Excercise will help to, however there are some who can't workout persay due to health reason and do just fine. If you are able to work out you should, it will make you feel better and help your weight loss move quicker. However, try to remember if you are doing weight training you weight may stall or go up due to the fact that muscle weighs more than fat- after you get going with WT it will level back off. Other wise try to increase your movement during the day- extra steps, movement- anything is better than nothing.

Also, look at things like Carb and sugar intake. Complex carbs are by far better than simple carbs. Make sure you are getting enough protein- this is a huge thing. Protein feeds your muscles and muscle burns more calories than fat.

It takes a while to figure it all out. Research and take it one day at a time so you do not get over whelmed.

Good Luck

Wow, you are doing great with the weight loss! I too was banded on Oct 16, but my weight loss has not been near as dramatic as yours (about 19 lbs). But some of your loss may be because you have lost too much water! So please be careful. Take it slow and just add a little Water at a time. This may sound silly but it helped me many years ago when I ralized I was not getting enough Water ( I was getting constant headaches from dehydration). Do you have a friend that smokes? Ever notice how often they smoke? Well, what I did, was every time my friend at work went for a smoke break, I went with him, but for a water break. So it takes 7 - 9 minutes to smoke a cig, I would bring 8 ozs of water with me and took the 7 - 9 minutes to drink it. By the end of our 8 hours shift I had already 32 or more oz for the day! Plus it got me away from my desk (a little exercise!)

Today, the only thing I drink is water, tea or cranberry juice. I can't seem to tolerate anything else without getting a bladder infection.

Wow, thanks everyone. I was so afraid of answers that would be scary. I started my excercise mission today by parking at the furthest lot on campus. It's a 12min walk up hill (the entire way), plus a flight of stairs from my car to my seat in class. It kind of sucked having EVERYONE pass me, but I'll get there. Now I know why everyone is so skinny on campus, ha.

Lots of love & best of luck to all!

Hi 1der! Just wondering what you do for work. Are you in marketing by chance?

Don't beat yourself up. I have done the same thing and I don't feel good enough to exercise and until I do I'm not going to. I have two little grandsons I'm raising and between the two of them house cleaning laundry etc I'm worsen out I'm trying to get back on track myself and do things right it's hard I'm not used to it either.