Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time off after surgery

Hi,

Just wondering how much time to expect to take off of work after Lap-Band Surgery. I work a desk job and was planning on being back to work 5 days post surgery. :faint: Is this realistic? I would appreciate any sage advise and personal stories I can get from all of the Banded members! I am scheduled for 4/19/06. Yippie!:nervous

Thanks,

Jennamoose

Hi there, I learned that everyone is different. I teach and had mine over the Christmas break. There is no way that I could have gone back any sooner than 3 weeks. I was in tons of pain. It was worse than my both of my c-sections. I don't know why I had so much pain. I was also very exhausted the first 2 weeks back at school, but I think that's because I was dropping weight so fast. It was 6 weeks before I felt pretty normal.

My friends didn't have the pain that I had and the little bit they had only lasted a couple of days. 2 had their procedure on a Thursday and went back to work Monday. So everyone is very, very different.

Happy Lapbanding to you!!!

Thanks for the information Susan! I figured everyone is different, and also teaching is a lot more physical than sitting behind a desk all day! :D

I have also heard that the gas pains can last up to 3 weeks. I am not looking forward to that!:) Thanks again!

Jennamoose

Hi! I had my surgery on a Tuesday and took the whole following week off. I'm a corporate lawyer though and was concerned about working very looooong hours once I returned. If you could definitely leave by 5pm every day, then 5 days might not be too bad. For me, the hardest thing was how EXHAUSTED I was... just sooooo tired. I think that's because of being on such a restricted liquid diet following the surgery -- once I got on mushies it wasn't bad. The pain was bad, but definitely not HORRIBLE for me. Almost all of the pain was gone in 4 days or so, expect for soreness at the port site which is common because they attach the port to your abdominal muscle so it's sore.

If you CAN take the time off -- then I would give yourself two weeks... it's nice to be able to baby yourself and not have to worry about other stuff. Hope that helps!

I needed a minimum of two weeks, and would have loved to have taken off three. There is no way I could have gone back any earlier than two weeks.

Surgery was on Wednesday, I worked from home the following Monday & Tuesday but could have come in, back in the office the next Wednesday.

So I needed 3 days off.

My surgery was on a Tuesday and I went back to work the following Tuesday. I also have a desk job. I was fine, except my bra wire was practically right on top of one of my incisions so that was uncomfortable.

I am scheduled for this Monday and plan on returning to work on Thursday. Although everyone knows if I don't feel like coming in on Thursday or Friday I won't.

I had mine on a Monday morning and went back to work on Saturday night. I am a neonatal nurse and do a lot of walking, bending, standint, etc. I was really sore the first night back. I found that wearing a panty girdle that covers your stomach up to where your bra goes really helped to keep it supported and it wasn't as sore to work. I only needed to wear it 3 or 4 days after returning to work.:)

I had surgery on Tuesday and went back to work the following Thursday but worked half day that day and Friday. I found I got really tired even the whole following week but I did work full time then. I'd take a couple of weeks if you can, but I know everyone's job is different.

Emily

I got banded on a Monday and was fine all week.. the following week I think caught up with me and was exhausted

I am also a teacher, I had surgery on Wednesday and went back to work the following week for Thursday and Friday. I was still swollen and more tired than usual, but I was fine. I think I actually felt better in having to put on some makeup and "real clothes" and get off the couch. I felt pretty much back to normal the next week. That first week post-op is the roughest because of the swelling, tenderness, gas........and the liquid PHASE!!! Getting to pureed Soups on the full liquid phase completely got rid of the tired feeling for me, and by then the gas pains and bloating were mostly gone.