Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May Do Low Carb

Have don't low carb (south beach, Adkins) in the past successfully. Of course I always gain back. Once I was also on Adkins for over a year and it threw my liver out of whack so I got scared to do it seriously again. My problem is that I was banded June 14. I lost about 20 lbs including pre op diet. However, I gained 5 lbs on vacation. I have lost that five lbs, but have now been stuck at 222 give or take a lb for a couple of weeks. I am exercising and tracking what I eat. I got my first fill and was hopeful that would kick it into gear, but it hasn't.

After struggling with low carb in the past, I am fearful that I will have a hard time with it now. Is it easier with the band? Also, should I forget about counting the calories if I am doing low carb with the band?

Granted this is my choice, not the right or wrong way, but...

I don't do low carb. I limit my carbs to 125g per day, which isn't exactly a free for all but I'm not super low carb like most here either. I also had major problems with Adkins years ago, I ended up with a major kidney infection from too much Protein build up. That and the fact it's simply not realistic for me to be low carb for a lifetime, my nutritionist and I decided together it was best for me to moderate carbs but not significantly restrict them.

So far I've done well. I do count calories too.

Some surgeons suggest a low carb diet however there is no rule stating everyone with the band must severely restrict carbs. In the end, it's a matter of choice and what works best for your specific body.

Best wishes!

That helps. I honestly don't think I could do it forever with the band, when I couldn't stay on it before! My dr was always the one that would preach low carb everything all these years that I have been overweight. Then I did it for a year solid after having my son 6 years ago. I looked great and lost a ton of weight but my liver went haywire. That was the only thing we could figure it was. It was so disheartening. I went off it and ultimately 6 years later I was my highest weight ever! I will give it a try and mate just have a few carbs. What kind of carbs do you add in?

I feel better when i do low carb bc of the simple fact that carbs make me want more carbs. My surgeon does not preach low carb however the nutrionist recommended i go back to low carb then slowly add back in good carbs...whole wheat Pasta, brown rice, 100% whole wheat bread....i should be ok with this bc usually the carbs i want are sugar...cookie, cake, etc. I am looking at this as sort of a detox period. So perhaps you could look at it that way if you feel carbs are an issue for you.

I'm with Mis73. My doctor thinks carbs are the devil. I simply cannot do low carbs! No. 1, it's just not realistic for a lifetime; No. 2, my body just doesn't function well on a low carb diet.

I shoot for roughly 1000 calories; 60 grams protein; no more than 127 carbs and 30 grams fat.

I feel like that is plenty of balance and enough fuel for my body to function at its best.

That helps. I honestly don't think I could do it forever with the band, when I couldn't stay on it before! My dr was always the one that would preach low carb everything all these years that I have been overweight. Then I did it for a year solid after having my son 6 years ago. I looked great and lost a ton of weight but my liver went haywire. That was the only thing we could figure it was. It was so disheartening. I went off it and ultimately 6 years later I was my highest weight ever! I will give it a try and mate just have a few carbs. What kind of carbs do you add in?

I eat pretty much all carbs. I do try to stay away from anything that is white, bleached, or enriched though. For instance, I buy whole grain wheat bread and whole grain Pasta. I also eat a lot of potatoes because they're in their natural state and better for you than breads or Pasta.< /p>

Thanks everyone!! I may try to detox from carbs for a week or so and slowly add good carbs back. I just feel like I need some sort of kick start again. I have been stuck on one spot for over a week.

I was banded July 5th & have done well, but by 4th week I became really hungry. My first fill is another 2 weeks out, so trying low carb to see if it will help with cravings. My surgeon recommends 850 calories with 60 minimum Protein. Thinking I can focus on low carb until I get fill.

I read the book Bob Harper recently wrote "Skinny Rules", get it from the library. He gives such sound advise. I do not have any bread, Pasta, rice etc after lunch. I try to eat lots of veggies and Protein. I feel full from the protein and love the veggies. He recommends berries everyday, I have been loving my greek yogurt with berries, some granola, flax seed, a bit of cinnamon and a few pecans. It tastes so good and holds for many hours.

Use an online program to keep track of your food each day, it will make such a big difference!

Be sure to keep drinking lots of Water and continue to take your calcium citrate & a good multi Vitamin.< /span>

Relax, you are on the way to better health.