Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unfill To Lose Weight

Had a very interesting consultation with my doc today and want to share and seek other opinions or similarities. I have been banded for 4 years now and had relatively good success. However for the past 7-8 months now, I have been putting on small amounts of weight and my answer has always been to rush in for a little top up fill and thinking that my restriction was fading, I was eating more and thus putting on the weight. Recently it seems I could eat more than ever and bigger portions than ever and yet not experience the "full" sensation I recall getting previously.

So I asked for a review and barium under the fluoroscope to check how much was actually flowing through my band. The doctor confirmed the band was in fine position and that it was very tight and he was not happy with how little liquid was flowing through and in fact that it was backing up into my esophagus more than it should (or at least more than he would like to see it).

He went on to explain to me that he suspected I was actually in what he called the "red zone" with the band. He said that we should actually unfill the band to allow better flow and improved weight loss. He said when one is too restricted the food actually fills up the esophagus and sits there and gets digested there and actually doesn't get to the stomach to make you satiated. The result is you can actually eat bigger portions, you eat more often (because you are not satiated) and you tend to gain weight. He said also that I would typically be experiencing greater indigestion these days (which is true) and that I wouldn't necessarily ever get that full feeling I used to get where you feel it between your shoulder blades (like when the band is working the way it should).

So I agreed and we took out a full CC. I have a 10cc band and he said he rarely has success with bands filled over 8cc. I was at 8.6 so we took it to 7.6.

This is so counterintuitive to me. More fill means more weight loss right? Maybe not. Maybe it is a placebo effect but I swear already from one meal I feel more satiated and could feel the food sitting in the place I used to feel it (the right place).

Anyone else had to have an "unfill" to get things working better?

I agree with your doctor. You can definitely be OVERFILLED.

Your Dr. sounds like he is really paying very close attention to your case and situation. I think you should follow his advice and see what happens. What he is saying makes sense to me. :)

Had a very interesting consultation with my doc today and want to share and seek other opinions or similarities. I have been banded for 4 years now and had relatively good success. However for the past 7-8 months now' date=' I have been putting on small amounts of weight and my answer has always been to rush in for a little top up fill and thinking that my restriction was fading, I was eating more and thus putting on the weight. Recently it seems I could eat more than ever and bigger portions than ever and yet not experience the "full" sensation I recall getting previously.

So I asked for a review and barium under the fluoroscope to check how much was actually flowing through my band. The doctor confirmed the band was in fine position and that it was very tight and he was not happy with how little liquid was flowing through and in fact that it was backing up into my esophagus more than it should (or at least more than he would like to see it).

He went on to explain to me that he suspected I was actually in what he called the "red zone" with the band. He said that we should actually unfill the band to allow better flow and improved weight loss. He said when one is too restricted the food actually fills up the esophagus and sits there and gets digested there and actually doesn't get to the stomach to make you satiated. The result is you can actually eat bigger portions, you eat more often (because you are not satiated) and you tend to gain weight. He said also that I would typically be experiencing greater indigestion these days (which is true) and that I wouldn't necessarily ever get that full feeling I used to get where you feel it between your shoulder blades (like when the band is working the way it should).

So I agreed and we took out a full CC. I have a 10cc band and he said he rarely has success with bands filled over 8cc. I was at 8.6 so we took it to 7.6.

This is so counterintuitive to me. More fill means more weight loss right? Maybe not. Maybe it is a placebo effect but I swear already from one meal I feel more satiated and could feel the food sitting in the place I used to feel it (the right place).

Anyone else had to have an "unfill" to get things working better?[/quote']

I had a complete unfill June 12, after my Esophogram showed I was too tight with only 3.5 cc in my 11cc band. I had been having reflux, nighttime chest and back pain, stuck episodes, losing meals. My symptoms continued after the unfill for about 3 weeks when I noticed I could eat more healthy foods....the end of week 4 I noticed my clothes were getting looser. When I went back last Tuesday for another Esophogram, the barium flowed through better, still a little slow and I lost 4.5 lb. I'm still having occasional difficulties and reflux at night even though I take one of my doses of omaprazole at bedtime, but things are much better, with my band empty.

This is very good info thank you for sharing.

I have heard too that if you are too tight, your weight loss will suffer. Sounds like the right choice.

I am having the same problem with my band. I was banded 4 years ago and I went for a fill last week because I flelt that the band was not tight enough, I was eating everything and never felt full. I am also gaining wait. When the doctor saw my band he was very surprised because he said the band was fine, it had not slipped and was tight, but my esophcus has stretched to double it's size and that is why I can eat just about everything. He emptied my band completedly and now I have to wait about a month before I can go back for a fill. I don't know what to do now, I don't want to keep gaining weight. If anyone has suggestions I would appreciate any advise.

You are going to play it tough. Eat low to no sugars. Eat LOW CARB, and eat high Protein. salad with chicken for lunch (grilled chicken) with very light dressing is a good lunch option.

eat a low to no fat Breakfast and do the same for dinner.

to beat cravings between you need to drink a big glass of luke warm Water.

Luke Warm Water fills you up and curb cravings. COLD water will rehydrate you quicker but does less to curb your appetite. If you need ... must eat something, you need to eat a very low or low calorie food...a fruit or veggie, or something with low calories and high Protein, like a Protein Bar or some almonds (ONE SERVING).

You can do this!

Everyone thinks tight is a good thing but its not. If you over eat the food has no where to go but up into the esophagus. I only have 3 cc's in a 10cc band havent had a fill in over a year and am still slowly losing. This wil make my third year being banded in December. Just because we have the band doesnt mean the lower portion of the stomach is not working. It is very much working and if its not getting any food you will not be satisfied and always feel hungry.

Been there, sorta still there. It seemed the more I filled, the less restriction I felt! Had a barium swallow finally and yes, doc said VERY tight. He let me go but I recently unfilled a bit due to heartburn.

You do just graze and graze and graze and never get that satisfied feeling.

The small unfill I had, I certainly didnt begin noticeably eating more and certainly havent gained weight from it. Didnt lose either, but I have none to lose anymore.

Thanks for all the wonderful responses and feedback. Always reassuring to know that you may not be the only one out there with what you think is a "unique problem".

When I am really tight and can't seem to get enough food for the energy I need to exercise or daily routine, I resort to easy "cheat" foods. chocolate, sugary liquids etc. While that is not healthy by any means, I guess when that is ALL you are getting, you can see weight loss and results (because you are not eating anything else for calories).

The problem then really begins when you CAN eat more or normal food again. I find that rather than dumping the bad habits (sugary drinks, chocolates, ice cream) I simply do BOTH. And of course now I am getting way more calories because I am actually consuming the good AND the bad together!

I think the key is getting to a comfortable band restriction and then cutting out, as much as possible, the cheat foods so that it never becomes a habit one can fall back on.

Keep sharing the stories please. Very helpful.

Everyone thinks tight is a good thing but its not. If you over eat the food has no where to go but up into the esophagus. I only have 3 cc's in a 10cc band havent had a fill in over a year and am still slowly losing. This wil make my third year being banded in December. Just because we have the band doesnt mean the lower portion of the stomach is not working. It is very much working and if its not getting any food you will not be satisfied and always feel hungry.

Even if you DON'T overeat, you can stretch your esophagus and pouch. The pouch is designed to hold a couple of ounces of food, about 1/4 cup. The reason we are told to eat slowly is to allow food to pass through the stoma into the lower part of the stomach, making room in the pouch for the rest of your meal, 1/2 to 1 cup. If the food can't pass through the stoma, even if it's chewed properly, it will stretch the pouch and back up into the esophagus causing it to dilate, even when eating per the "band rules" and not overeating. This is what I experienced, and after a complete unfill, I have lost 8 lbs because I can eat healthy foods, rather tan depending on sliders due to a too tight band. BTW, I only had 3.5 cc in my 11 cc band.