Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A question for after surgery

When you came home what did you find it most comfortable to wear. I'm wondering if I should be looking at jogging wear with the elastic band or what. Because I won't be alone and will be at my daughter's home I can't run around in a nightgown (which I don't like anyway). I was thinking perhaps one of those cotton shifts that snap up the front, but I have no clue. Will the little bit of elastic on my pants bother my port? Thanks for all your help. Also, how long before you ventured outside and did some walking or went to the store and felt comfortable? I guess my problem is I will be at my daughters but her friends are always in and out (not to mention her hubby does a lot of work from home and has friends stop by) so although I want to be comfortable I know I can't hang out in some shorty gown or something.

The "cotton shift" will probably be your most comfy attire and safest!

My bra gave me extreme discomfort. Some say that a sports bra worked for them. This was probably the most difficult thing to deal with post banding... the no-bra issue.

Lasting about a week.

At home I wore a knit dress. I don't know what you call the style, but it's one piece, with a cord on either side of the wasit that ties in back. They had them at Target during the summer, cheap - like $20 - $25 each, so I bought a bunch of them b/c they're great for wearing to go out with the dog, move the sprinkler, etc. when you just don't want to wear clothes. :)

I looked for a pic and couldn't find them exactly, but this is pretty darn close: Link

My first couple days at work I ignored our dress code and went with sweats that have a really wide & loose waistband with a t-shirt or sweatshirt. I also have a few tracksuits made of t-shirt material and those were great!

I've been banded for nearly 2 weeks now and today is my first day in jeans, but *shhh* I have them unbuttoned & unzipped a little at my desk because the waistband hits on my lowest incision.

Oh as for bras, wearing a real one today w/ no problems, but I didn't even bother before today. I just went with a sports bra. My highest incision is below my bra line so no problems there, I was just going for the comfort. :)

Editing to add:

Well crap every time I think I answered your questions, I see one I missed. I was banded on Wednesday and pretty much stayed in the recliner, minus walks for circulation, until Friday. Thursday was my first shower, I couldn't really stand in place long enough for a shower on Wed... too much pulling on my staples. Friday I went out to GNC to get some Protein powder & to the mega mart basically just for a place to walk around. That Saturday we went to my parents' (about an hour and a half away) and I did fine in the car, though bumps were sore, and the seatbelt hit in all the wrong places, but I did fine. I'd say within a week I could resume normal activity levels. I'm still more sedintary than pre-op, mainly because I don't want to overdo it, but expect that won't be the case in a few more days.

I wear a lot of yoga pants. I buy them at Silhouettes.com. They have elastic at the back but don't pull at all in the front, so they were really comfy post surgery. I had a hard time with dresses because of the dreaded "thigh rub" so pants worked best for me. Here's a link:

http://www.silhouettes.com/Parent.asp?product=503449x&dept%5Fid=2200&An=102&A=9139&Au=RollupKey

I loved the walking! I paced the halls the day of surgery and took some real walks the day after. It got the gas to disperse quickly and didn't hurt. It was the sitting down and standing up that smarted. Congrats Wheetsin on the thirty-two pounds! Whoa!

I was a dress gal too. Slip-on shoes are a good idea. I skipped on my loose jogging pants post op because the band was over two of my five incisions. So pack options. My favorite dress I found at HolyClothing, they do quite a bit of business on eBay. Some of the dresses are kind of creepy, but my favorite was the sleeveless. It layers well and is really soft. Lots of luck and good thoughts Dody.

Some wonderful ideas here. I'm going to hit a few stores for the shift dresses and the snap front shifts. I do have a couple of the loose pull on dresses from Blair, so that is a great idea. I am also going to check out Silhouettes.com. Thanks so much to you all for your help and God Bless.

I have to second the slip-on shoes. I wore these butt ugly but totally comfortable shoes called Crocs everywhere I went for the first week. Heck, I have them on today with my jeans. I don't even know where my tennis shoes are. :)

(And thanks, Morsaille - I'm down 39# as of this a.m. but I don't know how I know that, because I'm certainly not weighing myself compulsively :) )

I have to second the slip-on shoes. I wore these butt ugly but totally comfortable shoes called Crocs everywhere I went for the first week. Heck, I have them on today with my jeans. I don't even know where my tennis shoes are. :)

(And thanks, Morsaille - I'm down 39# as of this a.m. but I don't know how I know that, because I'm certainly not weighing myself compulsively :) )

Crocs are "butt ugly" but there isn't a more comfortable shoe in the world. I got the idea from my daughter who is on her feet all day at a hospital. I wish they had "Crocs" when I was nursing. They are like walking on a cloud.

Because of the port location which will be to the left of my bellybutton, I'm wondering if underpants will be appropriate to help with the port...the pulling sensation, or if it is better to go "pantless". I'm so uninformed in this area. I think I've learned a lot on this forum about the surgery itself and what to expect, but I never saw anyone address what they wore afterwards. If I was going to be home I would probably settle for comfortable nighties as I live alone, but I'm going to be visiting and that certainly isn't appropriate. I just ordered a snap up knee-length robe from Blair and some yoga pants from Silhouette's (they have really nice things there, thanks for the info on it), but the underwear is a touchy subject...to be or not to be that is the question. I've always had trouble with bras since my open heart surgery. It was 6 mo. before I could wear a sports bra and never one that fastened in the front (somehow that bothered my scar more). I'm finally wearing regular bras, although I can't wear underwire at all, and now I think I'll be going back into sports bras. I think my heart dr. spent 9 hours on my surgery, got tired, and had the janitor stitch me up. My scar looks like a huge zipper with keloids on it....very ugly and looks like it was done yesterday, and is still painful. When I tell my dr. he very non-chalantly says "You are alive aren't you"...DUH.

What percentage of doctor's, do you suppose, are just jerks? And do you think they KNOW they're jerks? Or are they so high from the fumes of Treasury ink that they're oblivious to human suffering or feelings?

I'm voting at least 50%

(Disclaimer: I loved my doc and don't include him in that 50%)

(Disclaimer to disclaimer: I really don't know him that well. :) )

I wore home a pair of loose knit capri pants with a draw string waist that I bought at Walmart and a big t-shirt. I choose to skip the panties and bra for a few days.The pants didn't bother me atall. I would, however, stay away from anything that doesn't have a comfy stretch waist for awhile. It took me about two weeks before I was ready to wear jeans. Good luck.