Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Even though no one will define what PB means, I assume it stands for "Puke Back" or something like that? I just came to the forum searching for a sensitivity to smell/triggering gag reflex/ heaving Water but no food/ episode that has occurred twice.

I was banded back in Feb. 2012, had some restriction since the surgery, and my first fill only on June 12th (3.8 cc/11 cc band). I am one of those people who rarely (almost never) vomits except when I have a kidney stone (8 times since 2004). Well I do have an extremely sensitive gag reflex. Lately, my gag reflex has been triggered by smell (Gross alert:!!!!!!!) caused right after having a bowel movement. The smell of that has caused my stomach to churn wildly, and heave, and vomit up water but no food. I don't think it's "slime" but I'm not sure. It is so gross and such a horrible feeling. It doesn't occur immediately after eating, either. It happens much later, which may explain the lack of food coming up?

All I know is, my daughter says maybe I'm eating too much, not chewing enough, etc., so I pulled out my manual and sure enough, I'm supposed to be eating only 1/2 c.food (not 1 c.) so maybe she's right. I lowered the food intake for a few days and immediately dropped 2.1 lbs., however I feel deprived and still hungry. I guess learning to live with the band takes many months of trial and error.

Has anyone else had a sensitivity to smell like mine? Any tips for getting through it and preventing it from recurring?

Thanks,

Marianna

I haven't had lapband surgery yet, but I have an extremely sensitive gag reflux too (I can't even brush my teeth lately without dry heaving), I'm scared it might get worse and/or irritate my lapband in the future! I know how you feel! I hope you can find something that helps, or if anybody else out there has any suggestions. For me, I just plug my nose in smelly situations, switched to a kids tooth brush and kids tooth paste and I recommend eating slowly, taking small bites and chew real well.

Also, maybe instead of three regular meals, eat 4 smaller meals. Try not to eat right before entering the restroom, taking out the garbage, brushing your teeth, cooking, cleaning, etc. just eat afterwards! If not, give yourself at least two hours to digest the food before doing those activities. Good luck!

I don't have the gag reflex issue, but PBing means to Productive Burp. It's when you literally burp the food back up. It's different than vomiting, it's not forceful and doesn't involve a retching stomach. You literally burp and the food gently pops back up. (it is still highly unpleasant, though)

pb=productive burp. You will know when you have it!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches