Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insulin Pump And Weight Gain

I am 17lbs short of the needed BMI for lapband, I am a type 2 diabetic, and I'm starting on the insulin pump this week. I already take metformin and lantus, as the dr has increased my lantus I've started gaining, now the pump comes. I was wondering if anyone who is on a pump or was on a pump can tell me if gaining weight on the pump is more rapid that shots? I've heard it can be. I'm honestly not hoping for weight gain, but I'm so OVER diabetes and all that comes with it, I really wish I could have the surgery, I see so many on the boards talking about getting off most or all their meds and I would love to have that happen!

Thanks Ren

I am on a pump have been for a year and have gained 50 pounds now 4 months into band process hoping to get rid of meds.I didn't know about weight gain before starting pump

wow, I was afraid of that.....Have you already been approved by insurance? Does your Dr think it will help your diabetes? are you type 1 or 2? Thanks for repsonding!

I didn't meet the BMI or weight requirements either, but because of atleast 2 co-mobilities, I was approved for surgery. I'm not sure what else besided Diabetes you have or if your insurance would take under consideration, but I was approved because I was Insuline resistant, high blood pressure/ cholesterol and joint issues. I had my surgery in January this year and have lost 50# so far, plus now I am off my cholesterol meds and one of my blood pressure meds. Wish you all the luck.

Wow that's great, may I ask what insurance you have? Also here in my area in Ohio most of the Dr website's I've checked, won't do it unless you are at least at 35 BMI, I'm at 32.

I have cigna with a bmi of 37 they say that's high enough also have high cholesterol and high blood pressure but they don't submit until you've done the 6 month supervised weightloss

I have cigna with a bmi of 37 they say that's high enough also have high cholesterol and high blood pressure but they don't submit until you've done the 6 month supervised weightloss

Having the pump doesn't necessarily make you gain weight. Insulin is a hormone so the more you take can cause you to gain weight. People gain weight because they start eating what they want because of the added freedom. If you stuck to low carbs you will need less insulin. I have type 1 diabetes and I have been on the pump for 13 years. I usually gain weight when the amount of insulin I take goes up. It wouldn't matter if it was my pump or a shot it does the same thing.

I have Tricare Prime Insurance. There was no supervised program or waiting periond, but Tricare tends to be slow sending referals out and sifting through all the paperwork. From start to finish prior to surgery, It took them almost 5 months to get all the approvals, tests etc completed. I actually had to push them to get it done or I might still be waiting.lol

I have had a pump now for almost two years and yes you do seem to put more weight on. BUT I do love my pump but will be happy to get off after a while.....my surgery is Nov 2, 2012.