Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First post so please be patient. I've seen bits and pieces of these questions addressed, and many may be answered by my consult on Tuesday, but I wanted to get some insight from those in the field. ;)

~ how big of pills can you take or have you switched over everything to liquids? (I'm on Zoloft, a tiny pill)

~ Do you ever drink soda? I'm worried I will miss the bubbles of my diet Dr. Pepper. How does drinking carbonated drinks feel with a lapband?

~ what specific questions about my surgeon's experience should I ask?

~ Why is it so critical that everything be sugar free? It seems many of the sf foods are higher in carbs to fill in flavor.

~ my go-to yogurt is Dannon Light and fit toasted coconut. Is there something I can add to it to make it "drinkable"?

~ What time frame does insurance use your BMI to calculate approval? I'm 41 right now, but worried about losing weight too soon and disqualifying myself, particularly if I have to document a 6 month effort. My doc and I have been working on my weight for years, but I'm not sure what they're specifically looking for in my records. I'm making strides to lose on my own, but at the same time, don't want to sabotage my approval.

I'm sure they'll be a gazillion more, but these are my biggies. Thank you!!

JugHugs - Kirsten

Hi! I'll try to help :)

~ Pill sizes: I don't take anything aside from the occasional swig of liquid tylenol, but my program coordinator has said as long as it's small enough to go through the pouch, there shouldn't be a problem. Seeing as that's the size of a dime, I think zoloft should be fine :)

~ Soda: I've tried soda twice now since surgery a year ago, and I had no problem with it. I was told horror stories about it exploding in the pouch similar to a baking soda-volcano-science-project, but no problems for me. I just don't miss soda, so I don't tend to drink it. But a swallow every now and then shouldn't be too much of a problem.

~ Surgeon's experience: Heck, I have no idea. When I had my band put in my surgeon had only completed around 25 surgeries. Sorry, I'm no help here :)

~ This is a mystery to me, too. I think I remember hearing that sugar can irritate the pouch, or some other body part. I think it's all a ruse to get us to go cold-turkey against our sugar/carb/whatever addictions :P

~ Drinkable yogurt: hmmm. Again, I'm no help. Do you mean to drink it after surgery during the liquids phase? I don't really have yogurt that much, so I'm not sure :(

~ Insurance: Again, I've got nothing to help. I have Tricare, and with the first letter sent they basically ushered me into the surgery. I didn't have to do anything.. but I think my beginning BMI was 42.

Well, looks like my "help" really wasn't helpful at all. Sorry! :)

((Pinning RockStar of Awesomeness Help Badge on Stacey))

Thank you!!!

~ how big of pills can you take or have you switched over everything to liquids? (I'm on Zoloft, a tiny pill)

I am currently on what seems like horse-pill sized antibiotics, and I am getting them down without issue, 4 times a day. In the first 3 weeks after surgery, I had everything in liquid form, but I started out with quick dissolve tylenol when I ran out of the expensive liquid stuff, and I haven't looked back. I have 6ccs in a 10cc band, and I think I'm reasonably close to the green zone.

~ Do you ever drink soda? I'm worried I will miss the bubbles of my diet Dr. Pepper. How does drinking carbonated drinks feel with a lapband?

I have the odd diet coke now (sometimes even mixed with vanilla vodka!) and as long as I'm not eating at the same time, I'm fine. I burp a lot, but I haven't exploded yet ;) It makes me feel full, but only for about half an hour. And I'm not having more than one can, spread out over an hour. However, I waited until one month after surgery, before I even tried it. You really need to master burping again, as silly as it sounds, before you try anything carbonated again.

~ what specific questions about my surgeon's experience should I ask?

I asked how many lap bands he had put in, and what his rates of complication where, for infection, band slippage, and erosion.

~ Why is it so critical that everything be sugar free? It seems many of the sf foods are higher in carbs to fill in flavor.

I think it's all about limiting our overall calories. Carbs aren't the end-all, be all. But if you are talking about things like sugar-free yoghurt/chocolate, where they've filled it with something else full of calories, it might be best to avoid it all together, or really limit the portion and how often you eat it.

~ my go-to yogurt is Dannon Light and fit toasted coconut. Is there something I can add to it to make it "drinkable"?

Can you mix it up with milk? We don't get coconut yoghurt here in these parts (Canada) so I'm not sure if you mean that it's just flavoured like coconut, or if it actually has chunks in it. I wouldn't be eating anything with chunks until you are at the approved stage in your doctor's post-op diet. But, I can't see why you couldn't thin out any yoghurt you wanted, and drink it, provided that it's within your doctor's recommended diet.

I can't answer the insurance questions at all though, since I'm in Canada, and I was self-pay.

What great answers, thank you! The yogurt is just flavored. I've fantasized about diluting it with vanilla almond milk. :) I really appreciate the great questions to ask. I appreciate the help in helping my expectations be as realistic as possible. Thanks again!!

I wanted to thank you for posting this question. I am a newbie as well and still trying to learn all the ins and outs. So every post helps me learn a little more!

1. As far as pills- I was on Zoloft myself along with prescription stomach meds (much larger) and it was not a problem at all. The good news is that I am no longer on anything! Feels so great!!!

2. soda- both myself and my husband have tried soda. It isn't a problem; however, since the pre-op diet and surgery, it tastes TERRIBLE!! I never thought I would give up my Dr Pepper, but once you are away from it for awhile, your tastes changes. they taste like medicine to me. So, soda cravings are no longer a problem.

3.surgeon's experience- the main thing I wanted to know was how many procedures, any deaths due to complications and how accessible would he be after surgery

4. sugar free- not sure about the reason, however, it does help in kicking the sugar addiction. For me, it is like the soda, it just doesn't have the same appeal anymore. Instead of ice cream, I crave frozen grapes now. LOL!

5. yogurt- I won't be much help here. I guess you could dilute it with skim milk to make it more drinkable. However, you will be able to eat yogurt, so I don't see why you would have to make it drinkable.

6. Insurance- For my insurance I had to maintain above a 40 BMI since I had no comorbidities ( insurance accepted ones). They went back three years for BMI. I actually had to redo my 6 month supervised diet. In 2009, my BMI had dropped to 39. My doctor was great about the 6 month diet. I could not drop below the 40 or else the insurance would deny my claim for the reason " you are successful without WLS". AS IF!!!! Anyways, I would lose a couple of pounds, then have a "set back' and gain a pound. I know it sounds awful, but it showed that I was "trying" to lose but not being particularly successful. It is like a game of jumping through hoops. From my experience, don't let your BMI fall below the required min for your insurance.