Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Foreign Object

I'm a little worried about having a foreign object in my body. So maybe this is a silly question, but can your body reject the band?!

well as life goes on the lapband is one of the smallest foreign bodies u will have to put up with, even crowns on teeth are foreign bodies :)

replacement joints when u get older can often be needed etc etc .. its a tiny peiece of plastic its not really woirth looking at it like that .. i think i have read one person had it removed because of some bodily reaction to it, but thousands have it and no reaction at all so its not a silly question but plenty of other things to worry about in life :)

No the materials that the band is made of are inert so your body can't reject it in the same sense that it could a donor organ. However there are some people that have issues with the band and some of them like to think that their body is rejecting it.

Why are you so anti a foreign body?

Do you have any fillings?

Would you ever consider a boob job

How about a hip replacement

Lots of people have foreign bodies and they do not cause issues for most of them.

Well said Cazzy and elcee :)

I guess in the beginning I felt a bit strange about having an object inside my body, but I was desperate to get rid of my morbid obesity. The band has become part of me now just as a knee replacement would be to someone who needed it.

I had the same concern. I'm a little over four months post-op and my concerns are completely gone. I'm just glad I can't feel anything except the port. I'm kind of squeamish and was afraid the port would gross me out, but it doesn't at all.

There will always be a chance the band might not for you. But life without the band probally isn't working fir you if you are considering the band. I dont feel anything except the port sometimes. You will have the port area sore for a while then it will just feel normal having it. I sometimes feel the port if I move wrong or bump it but it doesn't hurt it just lets me know its there.

Every weight loss surgery has "foreign objects," hundreds of titanium staples that can come loose in the other surgeries. Think about it millions of people are walking (knee and hip replacements) and living (heart pacemakers) because of "foreign objects". Nothing is a silly question, so ask your surgeon and go the the Allergan web sight and check it out.

I have a 3 inch metal plate and 6 screws holding my left ankle together.I have had it for over 15 yrs.with no problems.the band in caparison is way less aggressive to me. I'm sure u will be fine but do ur research and make sure ur comfortable with the idea.Good luck.

Boob job all the way!

Thanks guys for your responses. I don't think there's anything wrong with people that consider boob jobs or have to get metal plates put in etc etc. I've just personally had a bad experience with an IUD and it's probably nothing in comparison, but I was paranoid the entire time and sure enough when I went to my follow up appointment it had fallen out of place. :/ I'd just hate to get the lap band and just be paranoid about it the entire time. Glad to hear that there were some people out there that had the same conserns and have the lap band.

Ps teeth filling seem superficial to me. Not really an internal thing. Maybe that's just me.

The idea of having a medical device inside me kind of weirded me out at first, but I decided to name the band to make it less scary. My fiancé thinks I'm crazy but it actually helped.

I had the same concern. I'm a little over four months post-op and my concerns are completely gone. I'm just glad I can't feel anything except the port. I'm kind of squeamish and was afraid the port would gross me out' date=' but it doesn't at all.[/quote']

This is me... DESPERATELY didn't want the band and went in to get the sleeve... But ultimately my doc's advice about the safety of the band is what swayed me... 1/200 die from the sleeve, but only 1/2000 for the band... The complications from the band, while uncomfortable are nothing like the potential 5-months agony of a sleeve leak... And 1/3 of bipass and sleevers gain their weight back with no other option but to diet or get the band later... As much as the idea of the band really freaked me out, that didnt seem like a good enough reason to assume the risks of the other surgeries...

Now that I have the band, I can say WITHOUT HESITATION that it's totally fine. I don't feel it. And while I guess you can say I'm aware of it, it's not a negative. It just is. And it already feels like it's part of me. It is amazing how the body adapts!

I'm also between the lap band and sleeve, but the 1/200 death seems incorrect. I believe that's for the gastric bypass.

I'm also between the lap band and sleeve, but the 1/200 death seems incorrect. I believe that's for the gastric bypass.

According to this, it's even worse... Over 1/100...

https://sites.google.com/a/clos.net/mini/mortality-rate-sleeve-gastrectomy-over-1-per-100