Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Stuck??

Who has had this happen and what did it feel like? Where exactly did it hurt? Help please, I think I may be filled to tight..!

Most every bandster has this happen. Minor cases are when you are too tight or, eat too fast, don't chew enough, large bites of food, beef, dry chicken etc.

You'll feel pressure in your pouch and may PB(productive burp), or slime, or spit up or vomit mildly. It usually passes in 5-20 minutes. It can be painfull but mostly it's nauseating and very uncomfortable.

tmf

I asked the same question until about a month ago after my last fill:( I pretty much felt like there was something that got stuck in the pit of my chest and it made it hard for me to talk at times. I could not eat or drink anything and when I tried some Water, shortly there after it reminded me of the movie Hooch and Turner, when the dog slimed all over the floor.lol But then I felt fine after the slime went away.

I also found out this past weekend that when it gets really hot outside, my band might be swelling up more than usual as well. I couldn't eat even a couple bites of stuff that normally wouldn't bother me. After it cooled down this week, I was back to normal. Just remember, everone reacts in different ways, I had to listen to my body and how it reacted to certain foods and weather obviously:)

I'm dealing with a stuck episode right now. It doesn't hurt and the best way to describe it is it feels like you have a golf ball stuck at the top entrance of your stomach (stoma) along with a uncomfortable feeling in the the chest area. The slime, oh yes the slime and must expel it. I will wait for about 1/2 hour or so then start taking small sips of something warm which will help things go down eventually. If not it's pineapple juice time. I eat lunch in my office and will usually be working on something on the computer and I just forget to take small bites and chew well. Grrrrrrrrr!!!! My fault! I need to put work away while it's time to eat lunch.

I asked the same question until about a month ago after my last fill:( I pretty much felt like there was something that got stuck in the pit of my chest and it made it hard for me to talk at times. I could not eat or drink anything and when I tried some Water, shortly there after it reminded me of the movie Hooch and Turner, when the dog slimed all over the floor.lol But then I felt fine after the slime went away.

I also found out this past weekend that when it gets really hot outside, my band might be swelling up more than usual as well. I couldn't eat even a couple bites of stuff that normally wouldn't bother me. After it cooled down this week, I was back to normal. Just remember, everone reacts in different ways, I had to listen to my body and how it reacted to certain foods and weather obviously:)

Ahhhhhhh, so that's what may be happening to me. The weather has been getting hotter and I am feeling way tighter than usual. I know that cold weather does this to me, but, never thought of hot weather doing this. Glad you posted this, I will monitor this. Thanks. jake

My stuck feeling consists of pressure in my chest alot of burping cant really talk and sometimes i have a little trouble breathing. Feels better when it decides to go down or come up if you know what i mean. Usually a stuck espisode is caused by oneself. Every time i get stuck its because i eat to fast or dont chew enough! Lately i have been precutting my meats to itty bitty pieces and it makes it easier to chew well in my mouth. Pretend you are feeding an infant so they wont choke where you are the infant!

The only thing that ever got stuck with me was one of my pills, just after I first stopped crushing them. It created a burning sensation in my esophagus for about 10 minutes until it worked itself along.

It's a great idea to engage in "mindful" eating, to stay aware of your bite sizes, and chewing each bite enough. It takes some practice, but like everything else we practice, it can become part of your routine. I think multitasking gets many of us in "stuck" episodes with food..

To me it feels like choking I haven't had tha saliva part...tha absolute worst feeling!

Getting an Unfill tomorrow morning. My fill yesterday was too much. I'm in misery right now. I can't imagine trying to eat food right now. Ugh, this hurts.!!

Had my first stuck episode w/ a small piece of chicken yesterday. It was miserable... and scary to me! I am 8 weeks post-op & recently had my 2nd fill. I should have waited another day or so to attempt the chicken so I blame myself, totally! I knew what was happening, but then I got very light-headed and sweaty; almost as if I were going to faint. I tried to get the chicken to come up, but I couldn't. I tried to flush it down with Water (BIG MISTAKE!!!) and that was when the Water came up, but no chicken. After about 30 minutes, it alleviated itself, but I'm not sure I'll be eating sold food anytime soon :-) I'm grateful that I was home when it happened and not out at a restaurant or work or public in general.

I learned a big lesson and once my band is no longer irritated with me, I will learn to respect it more and what I can & can't eat....

Had my first stuck episode w/ a small piece of chicken yesterday. It was miserable... and scary to me! I am 8 weeks post-op & recently had my 2nd fill. I should have waited another day or so to attempt the chicken so I blame myself, totally! I knew what was happening, but then I got very light-headed and sweaty; almost as if I were going to faint. I tried to get the chicken to come up, but I couldn't. I tried to flush it down with Water (BIG MISTAKE!!!) and that was when the Water came up, but no chicken. After about 30 minutes, it alleviated itself, but I'm not sure I'll be eating sold food anytime soon :-) I'm grateful that I was home when it happened and not out at a restaurant or work or public in general.

I learned a big lesson and once my band is no longer irritated with me, I will learn to respect it more and what I can & can't eat....

Others have said this but I'm saying it again. My band has a mind of it's own. I had a salad with salmon for lunch. I probably ate a little too much, too quickly and I got that stuck feeling I usually get 4-5 times a week. So I waited like you for 15-20 minutes for it to pass and it did and I was able to finish my salad.< /p>

For dinner we had steak. I was afraid and knew I'd have a stuck episode, but I didn't. I was able to finish my 8 oz steak with no problems. Of course, I cut it up into small pieces and ate very slowly. I even washed some of it down with sips of water. I was satisfied. Don't throw in the towel on solids just yet. Slow, small and chewy is the path to avoiding those stuck episodes. And I know it but I continue to make the same mistake you did. Many years of programming is very difficult to overcome but I'm working at it.

tmf

Recently I had my usual salad then started on a small piece of steak. I ate 3 small pieces and must not have chewed them enough. It took over 90 minutes of pain in my chest for the "issue" to resolve through the ever so much fun regurgitation :angry: process. Tried small sips of Crystal Lite which made it worse.

I have no problem with crunchy stuff like salads, popcorn, chips or soft stuff like ice cream, pudding, mashed potatoes. Sometimes I just have the salad because eating meat is hard. I hardly ever have cooked vegs because I have the salad most nights. I had some Chinese beef with veggies in a restaurant and the meat was so tender and easy to eat. Wonder how it is made to get like that.

I had my surgery in 7/10 and have lost 51 lbs. Want to lose about 30 more.

Eileen Velez, Hyde Park, MA :)

SO I HAD A FILL DONE AT THE BEING OF MAY, BY THE MIDDLE OF MAY I HAD TO GET IT LOOSEN food NOR liquid WOULD STAY DOWN. SO I STARTED BACK BY DOING liquids SOFT FOODS, ITS JUNE 10 AND NOW SOFT FOODS WONT GO DOWN AGAIN. I THINK ILL CALL DOC. N THE MORNING, I HAVE ALOT OF CHEST PAIN I GET DIZZIE AND IT WHERES ME OUT IM SOOOO HUNGRY AND CANT KEEP ANYTHING DOWN..

SO I HAD A FILL DONE AT THE BEING OF MAY' date=' BY THE MIDDLE OF MAY I HAD TO GET IT LOOSEN food NOR LIQUID WOULD STAY DOWN. SO I STARTED BACK BY DOING LIQUIDS SOFT FOODS, ITS JUNE 10 AND NOW SOFT FOODS WONT GO DOWN AGAIN. I THINK ILL CALL DOC. N THE MORNING, I HAVE ALOT OF CHEST PAIN I GET DIZZIE AND IT WHERES ME OUT IM SOOOO HUNGRY AND CANT KEEP ANYTHING DOWN..[/quote']

Definitely call your dr. This band can be a very temperamental thing. Just tonight I drink my Water to fast after dinner and it was pure hell for about 5 minutes..good luck, keep us posted.!