Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Family Is Driving Me Crazy!

Anyone else find that their family drives you crazy after being banded? My wife east anything and everything she can in front of me and my boy is just crazy to begin with.

You are probably feeling overly sensitize to food stimulus and your wife is just going about life as she did when you were pre-band. Have you talked to her about how hard it is for you right now to see her eating these things you (probably) like and what any alternative solutions would be?

That's too bad. Fortunately my husband is very supportive and prefers to eat healthily anyway. We share the cooking and both aim to prepare meals that are band-friendly and healthy. He just gets larger portions than me.

Maybe you could take a turn at cooking and do the same? Good luck.

Sorry to hear. My husband was very sensitive about this. For the first week him or my boys wouldn't eat in front of me it is kind of funny now but we are all eating healthier now because of me being banded. If it is really bothering you then you need to be honest with her.

Thanks everyone. I'll have to try somethin different

And they are at it again... Fml

I dont sounds to me as if you need to sit down with her and explain how you are feeling. I would not be able to live with someone who is going to throw food in my face and make me feel like ****. Sorry you are going through this i hope it gets better! Just remember why you did this and if nobody is there for you because of it than atleast you have us to keep you on track!

And they are at it again... Fml

I definitely sympathize with you here, but you need to ask yourself if this is a new thing, or if they've always eaten like this and now you're super aware of it? Sometimes I wish families got it and understood the need for a little more discretion, but they don't always see the problem. Especially if you are expecting them to change because you have...

My husband does the same thing, so I sympathize with you. I've been trying to lose weight on my own for quite some time before turning to the band, but he's always eating his chips, fast foods, sodas, etc... It seriously can be nerve wracking sometimes (I literally started crying when we were grocery shopping for a bbq - he was putting so many junky delicious things in the cart and all I could have was chicken...), but he doesn't even realize he's doing it. I've talked with him about it a few times, and now he is pretty good about making better food choices, especially if I'm already stressed and wanting to emotionally eat. He's also picking up on terms such as head hunger, which is really helpful (yet slightly annoying) as well. I'm sorry that it's happening, but hopefully will change!

My husband has been completely supportive, but he doesn't really understand how my world of eating has changed. I'm eating to live, not living to eat anymore.

He sees that I don't eat the same stuff, but the other day asked me to grab the Oreo's from the cupboard while I was in the kitchen for him. My response was: you're putting temptation in my hands, so no, if you want them get them yourself. He instantly appologized, he didn't even think that it would be hard for me. I'm trying very hard to be strong - but really, putting them in my hands and NOT having one would be torture. Sometimes I just have to *kindly* point out that I'm really trying here, and ask him to just think a little more before he talks. I don't want him to feel like he has to eat in the other room, because I do really enjoy the few meals we get to spend together, but don't ask me to make you Pasta, scoop some ice cream, etc. It's like asking a recovering alcoholic to grab you a beer. He was very receptive.

I suggest maybe just explaining that you're on a learning curve, your life has changed when it comes to food, and the temptation is strong to not eat according to plan when you see them chowing down pizza in front of you. At the same time, this was a choice you made and need to prepare yourself for a lifetime of tempting situations.

I've already laid down the law to my husband about bringing 'certain' foods in the house. You know the ones that got me in trouble in the first place. of course its not healthy for 'either' of us. He will just have to deal with it. We are a team and have to work together. I am lucky I have NO kids in the house and when my granddaughter comes to visit she has her very own 'little' single size Snacks. Its bad enough I will have to learn to be around foods when I attend family functions or events, but NOT in my house.....