Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Pre-Op Diet Instructions Stink!

Hi!

I have a few questions.

I have been directed to follow a 2 week pre-op diet instead of the recommended 3 day pre-op diet by my surgeon due to my higher BMI. But I am not pleased with the instructions. Here is all I got:

You will need to be on a liquid ONLY diet. You may have broth (chicken, beef or

vegetable), sugar-free Jell-O, sugar-free ice pops, sugar free juice, Clear liquids (i.e.

Crystal Lite, Diet Snapple, water), coffee or tea with a sugar substitute, and Protein

powder mixed with Water. The key to the liquid diet is LOW sugar and LOW carbs. NO

SOLIDS of any kind.

2 weeks of this??

Any suggestions?

I know it sucks but it's so worth it.....

Sounds like they want your liver to shrink as much as possible. You have to have faith your doc knows what he's doing? Or, find another doc?

Oh, I completely understand that I need to shrink my liver (I am a RN :) )

And, I do trust my surgeon, but I wish the pre-op diet instructions were more specific. I understand a lot of LB patients go on the MediFast or Optifast diet to lose weight before surgery. I wonder if that would be sufficient?

If you are finding the pre-op diet difficult how will u manage post op ? I think you may need to discuss with your surgeon what nutrition post-op guidelines they ask you to follow .. seriously your success in this depends on your commitment to following doctors orders and u havent even been banded yet.. If you are already struggling with the thoughts of following the nutritional rules and timescales then maybe being banded isnt the right path..

I hope u can find the resolve to make this successful and good luck :)

I don't see what was so confusing, the instructions look pretty clear to me and btw 2 weeks preop is the normal requirement.

I am not having trouble with the pre-op diet. I am having trouble with the lack of instructions. I need the instructions to be very specific- that way, I won't struggle with liquid diet options.

And I can assure you- I have thought long and hard before making this life-altering decision. It was not made in vain, nor was it on a whim.

If you are already struggling with the thoughts of following the nutritional rules and timescales then maybe being banded isnt the right path.

And I know you are trying to be helpful, but I dont think that your statement was fair. Please try to be more considerate in the future. People come to this board for advice and help, not criticism.

My doctor had me do a crash diet which I had to drink Roman lettuce, parsley, spinach, green apples blended with apple juice for 1 1/2 weeks. I had to drink this every time I felt hungry. It didn't look pretty but it helped with my liver.

Sounds similar to my pre op diet except I am allowed one lean meal.

Any high quality protien shake is ok just make sure it is low in fat, sugar and carbs. For me a good guideline is under 200 calories and at least 25 grams of protien per shake. I blend mine with fruit and ice or sometimes black coffee.

Another guideline that I was given is to get 800-1000 calories a day and 60 g of protien. Maybe three shakes and broth between meals for you? a key to this diet is to drink drink drink, stay busy and know that after day three it gets easier

Sounds similar to my pre op diet except I am allowed one lean meal.

Any high quality protien shake is ok just make sure it is low in fat, sugar and carbs. For me a good guideline is under 200 calories and at least 25 grams of protien per shake. I blend mine with fruit and ice or sometimes black coffee.

Another guideline that I was given is to get 800-1000 calories a day and 60 g of protien. Maybe three shakes and broth between meals for you? a key to this diet is to drink drink drink, stay busy and know that after day three it gets easier

I still from time to time drink the mix. I guess I got use to the taste and easy to handle on the go.

Hi!

I have a few questions.

I have been directed to follow a 2 week pre-op diet instead of the recommended 3 day pre-op diet by my surgeon due to my higher BMI. But I am not pleased with the instructions. Here is all I got:

[/font]

2 weeks of this??

Any suggestions?

You did not mention taking any supplements for Vitamins and minerals, especially Calcium. I hope that your diet does include these important and vital supplements.< /span>

During the 2 weeks of pre-op diet, I was allowed to mix my shakes with 1% milk, which did add some extra staying power to the shake before I would be hungry again, and also have 1 cup of raw salad veggies (I only wanted romaine lettuce, carrots and cucumbers) every day to help with Fiber.

Post op, the diet included only liquids. Yes, it can be difficult to manage to get through it all, but that is the time to focus on your goals and stay the course.

As an RN, you should have some real understanding of proper nutrition. There really is no need to have a step by step set of instructions. Basically, exercise, make it a priority to meet your Protein goals every day, and stay hydrated. Doctors do vary in their level of instructions they give. You should have a contact person at the surgeon's office to answer any questions you may have.

The benefits far outpaced the inconveniences of the liquid diet. I'm starting to feel like I belong in my skin again - priceless to me!

Good luck...you can do this.

Wow Amruiz03- that is pretty cool! I bet you will never look at green apples the same way again! :)

Heathermarie0407- That is what most of my research suggests. A bit more Protein included and more specific caloric guidelines. You are certainly right! I am going to have to stay busy! :P

Sojourner- Oh yeah! There is a whole slew of Vitamins that my surgeon suggests. I have already started on that regime.

Some shakes that I like are GNC amp, two scoops instead of the three that it reccomends, gnc lean shake, and I have recently ordered nectar shakes. When your looking for a shake make sure it's not full of sugar and carbs the gnc amp has none of either I think. Just don't do like slim fast of something like that, too much sugar not enough protien.

Wow Amruiz03- that is pretty cool! I bet you will never look at green apples the same way again! :)

Heathermarie0407- That is what most of my research suggests. A bit more Protein included and more specific caloric guidelines. You are certainly right! I am going to have to stay busy! :P

lol I don't even like green apples..this is the only way me and green apples work together.