Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Guys,

Day 3 of total vomiting, can't even keep down Water. So because I'm getting genuinely concerned I have a slip on my hands (though that makes no sense at all to me) here I am at the ER.

I'm so hungry. And dehydrated. And stressed.

:(

Oh! Hang in there. Hopefully they get you fixed soon. Hopefully they can give you an IV which will make you feel better. You can handle this. Hang in there.

Guys,

Day 3 of total vomiting, can't even keep down Water. So because I'm getting genuinely concerned I have a slip on my hands (though that makes no sense at all to me) here I am at the ER.

I'm so hungry. And dehydrated. And stressed.

:(

im praying for you. what a bummer this is.. praying that its not a slip . let us know as soon as you can... ((( hugs ))

I have been there and not too long ago. I stayed up one night the end of January. Throwing up at least once or twice an hour. It was a terrible dark red and looked like coffee grounds. I had no control over the vomiting. I called the 24-hour Blue Cross nurse and she reviewed my symptoms and decided I need to go to the ER rather than wait until my bariatric surgeon's office opened.

We went to the ER at 4 a.m. I had not sleeped one bit that night. They have me an IV right away for dehydration. I had a CAT-scan and blood tests. Found out that the dark red Fluid (sorry so gross) was dried blood and the coffee grounds were gastric juices. My band was way too tight. No slip though. My bariatric surgeon removed Fluid from my band and was able to go home.

A couple of weeks later, more tightness. Had acid reflux at night. Couldn't lay flat to sleep. Had more fluid taken out.

Found out that 40% of band eventually stop working. They don't know why. I have not heard that before and it was a bit shocking to me. My bariatric surgeon told me this. She suggested a revision from band to sleeve. My mind is still going over this and over this. I am still undecided about the band. Not convinced. At the same time, I have a band that does not work. Its too tight or too loose. I long for the days of the "sweet spot."

I had my band put in me in 2008. It slipped several months later and I had another one put in 2009. What will 2012 bring? Removal of my band. Several people think I should think about gastric bypass. It all makes my head spin.

Back to you in ER. Like someone said, hang in. If they haven't given you an IV, ask for one. Soon they will take x-ray or CAT-Scan and will figure out if its a slip or too tight of a band.

Please post again. I care and so do others that could be just like you waiting in ER to find out what in the hell is going on. Good luck!

Hi Everyone,

Soooo....the worst part of all of this is that I am home for Easter, and not near my surgeon. The doctor here says my band has slipped...but he also asked me how my port works and took 5 minutes to get the needle into my port to remove the Fluid.

He also was shocked to find blue dye in my band, said he had never seen anything like it before. Also was saying how odd that my port is on the right.

Bottom line, I trust nothing he says and if he tries to cut me open tonight, I am going to lose it.

Not to mention that when he finally figured out how to pull the Fluid out of my band, it was like instantaneously relieved! He is now making me do the gross and horrid upper GI test with that nasty dye we had to drink right after surgery and he took a bunch of blood and said we will talk in a bit.

I just do NOT believe him about the slip. I did nothing out of the ordinary - and I have no pain at all....just the vomiting - which the block I felt is gone as soon as he removed the fluid (I had 5 cc's and am a year post-band btw).

Then he said my weight loss was rapid and that could have caused it. I really don't think 1 pound a week is rapid.

Anyway, I just want to get out of here and get to my surgeon to discuss all of this.

The pain after surgery and the recovery was so tough - I am thinking of having it removed totally instead of having a new one input. This is a horrible experience, I am sorry to any who have had to go through this.

Electrolyte IV is nice though -- too bad we can't just eat via IV, lol.

Thanks for all your prayers & things, I will keep you updated. And if anybody ever had a mis-diagnosed slip, that'd be nice to hear about :(

Sorry to hear about your troubles. If you are able to keep liquids down I would wait to do anything with the band slip until you see your LapBand surgeon to see what an expert thinks of your band. I've heard of slips going back into place after a rest (no Fluid in band and only fluids to eat).

If the ER doc is getting pushy about your band coming out you might want to ask if they have a bariatric surgeon in their hospital that you can see. You can probably find a LapBand surgeon right on this website that is affiliated with the hospital that you are in.

Take care and keep us posted.

Sue

Hi again guys!

Thanks for all your concern and support, seriously.

I had my surgeon call these people and speak to them. Seems like I am going to wait until I am back home to discuss the necessity of surgery with him. It's a very slight slip, my band appeared a bit straight as opposed to diagonal, but my surgeon said he would need to look at where he originally positioned it, as every stomach is different. He also said it doesn't necessarily mean I need to have an operation. I am going to take all images back to him.

Seems like they are wanting to keep me tonight and monitor my inflammation & continue to hydrate me via IV, but they have stopped talking about emergent surgery after my surgeon called them so that's good.

I am feeling MUCH better, and am finally being allowed juice & Water & ice chips. My sister is going to attempt to sneak me in a gatorade. lol.

THanks again for all your help & advice & encouragement.

Thanks for the update. You are right where you should be. Its difficult to be in the hospital but keeping hydrated is very important. Good to hear that you are doing so much better. Take care!

Glad to hear things r looking better. Keep us posted!

Whew! Found out today there was absolutely no slip after all. My surgeon said he compared my surgery day upper GI with my ER ones & all is perfectly fine. Thank God. We now know how full we can make my band! Apparently 5 cc's is too much for the stress level of my life. I'm so relieved. 3 weeks to let inflammation subside & we can start to fill again. :)

Thanks again for your concern everyone!!

Very good news! Thank you for letting us know what is going on with you. It sounds like you are doing well. Thank goodness for new slip!

Exactly what happened to me back in October! And at 5cc's!!!! I had a complete unfill and did just fine. I'm now at my goal. The tightest I went to was 3.5 and inorder to maintain my weight I had to be adjusted to 3cc's just last week. Glad you are feeling better and glad it wasn't a slip!!!