Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Do I Sabotage?

Had to see dr to get unfiLled today couldn't keep liquids down medication down. So after he took the liquid out he said to stay on liquids for the next couple of days. So I was good for a while then I had ice cream and chocolate

Alright people let me have it! tell me why you think I am sabotaging myself because I can't figure out why!

I really need this help because it will be a major TURNING POINT in my weight loss journey

Thanks

I don't think you are alone. When I used to get a fill I used to go and have an icecream afterwards. I figured that it was a one off as the place near the Drs has the best icecream and being as I had to be on liquids that was liquid.< /p>

None of us are perfect but we all have to take responsibility. You have recognised that what you have done won't help you to achieve your goals. So look at this as a splurge that is now behind you and focus on getting healthy liquids in from now on.

i too often make bad choices, you just have to learn to say NO. what i did was make myself get everything out of the house that could sabotage me. no more chips, no more sweets, no more ice cream, everything healthy and all good choices in my house for food. once you say NO to that stuff, you start to continue to say no and then you stop craving it. I call those "trigger" foods, if i eat one chip, one icecream cone, one sweet cookie, its all over, i continue to eat that stuff all day and all week. get it out of your house, ask the people you live with or hang out with to respect you and not eat that stuff in front of you and you will see that after you rid your body of those foods you will stop craving them. carry smart food choices with you in your car for Snacks like Protein Bars, cheese and crackers, veggies and dip and when you fill the need to get an icecream, eat a healthy snack and drive past that dairy queen. you can do it. good luck to you

Don't keep any of that stuff in your house. If you have to get in your car, drive to the store, you will be able to marshall your will power and say no.

I've thought long and hard about it, and for me, self-sabotage comes from fear of success. Sounds weird, right? I've been losing and gaining weight all my life, and now to have broken the cycle scares me sometimes. I'm also starting to get more attention from others, which has always terrified me. Sometimes it's easier just to be invisible instead of being the center of attention. It's very strange to overhear friends and family whispering to each other about how great I look, getting jealous looks from other women and appreciative looks from men. It sounds like a dream come true, but for someone who isn't used to it, it can be pretty scary. Sometimes I feel like hiding under a rock.

This is just me, though. You have to do your own soul searching and figure out why you self sabotage. In the end, this battle isn't about food, it's about ourselves.

Ice cream is liquid, right? :D I think we so often do these things because our powers of rationalization are so very strong. "I haven't been able to eat for days, I need the calories. Plus I've been hurting so bad, a little ice cream treat will be so great!" "The cold of the ice cream will help any swelling."

Big thing is, you have recognized it, and are addressing it. WAY TO GO! Most of us are self-medicating food addicts to one degree or another. You are worth the effort to eat right and make good choices. A little treat once in a while is fine. Just be sure you are aware it IS a treat.

I've thought long and hard about it' date=' and for me, self-sabotage comes from fear of success. Sounds weird, right? I've been losing and gaining weight all my life, and now to have broken the cycle scares me sometimes. I'm also starting to get more attention from others, which has always terrified me. Sometimes it's easier just to be invisible instead of being the center of attention. It's very strange to overhear friends and family whispering to each other about how great I look, getting jealous looks from other women and appreciative looks from men. It sounds like a dream come true, but for someone who isn't used to it, it can be pretty scary. Sometimes I feel like hiding under a rock.

This is just me, though. You have to do your own soul searching and figure out why you self sabotage. In the end, this battle isn't about food, it's about ourselves.[/quote']

Jen, I agree with you completely!!!

I think many people stay overweight because they are scared of what may or may not happen when they lose weight. In some ways weight is a shield to hide behind.

If we haven't got a partner we blame it on our weight.

If we haven't got a good job we blame it on our weight

If we are not happy we blame it on our weight

etc

Once the weight is lost then we can no longer hide behind it and we have to start facing the reality behind our problems.That can be a very scary prospect.

I've been struggling with this question for the last three weeks or so. I need a fill but am waiting until after my son's wedding in three weeks time. I have my outfit and obviously want to wear it yet I find myself accepting that slice of cake at morning tea, or eating the sweet slices my sister-in-law brought to that family event. At the moment I am winning by exercise but I need to work on getting my head in the right space!

good luck to all of us

Thanks everyone for your responses.. I am really grateful for your feedback! I think I am fearful to succeed it is unfamiliar territory also doing the same thing is always easier!

But isn't that what getting the surgery about? Doing it different? The emotional stuff really gets me. I really try.

Thanks again.