Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! I'm another newbie to this sight. I've been reading posts on here as well as many blogs from other bandsters. This is all new to me! I've begun the process of having lap band surgery and am waiting for insurance approval. I have to do three monthes of a diet and exercise journal and work with an RN assigned to me through my insurance. She will then help submit the other necessary paperwork and hopefully I will be approved! I've been to my seminar, had the mental evaluation,and upper GI. I just wish I could get the ball rolling faster-- the weight(pun intended) is killing me! Lol I have to admit the journaling is really hard for me! I just can't get used to writing everything down!

I guess I should share a little about myself. I'm 44 years old. I'm married to my high school sweetheart. We've been married for almost 23 years. We have 2 sons who are 19 and 14. I am a kindergarten teacher. This is my 23rd year. I love it but really want to get back the vigor I had when I first started teaching and was much smaller! I've always had to struggle with my weight-- I'm only 5 feet tall-- but I managed to keep it at a decent level until my kiddos were born and then REALLY gained after having my hysterectomy a few years ago. I feel like I'm rambling so I'll just close for now. I would really appreciate any information that anybody has to offer!

i guess i am an old time. most people have to do the weight loss and exercise journal for 6 months . consider yourself lucky. any thing you want to know please ask. i lost 89 lbs 2 years ago.

Thanks, Cindy's mom! I guess I'm just being impatient. I know the weight didn't come on over night but it sometimes feels like it! Have you had any problems with your band? Was your weight loss pretty steady and what did you eat! I've got lots of questions, as you can see! Lol

My weight came off slowly. much slower than others. I am also in my 60's~ Probably too old. The cut off age is about mine. (with insurance) since I paid out of pocket they ddnt care.

No problems ever. It is not what I eat as much as what I do not eat. bread, rice, potatoes, Pasta, Cookies, cake, candy, pie. any soda, pop corn, chips. rolls. There are no excuses and no reasons to eat any of these things. LAPBANDERS ARE ON A HIGH Protein, LOW CARB DIET. PROTIEN HELPS YOU STAY FULL. CARBS TURN TO SUGAR, MAKE U CRAVE MORE CARBS. I AM CO-LEADER ON 2 GROUPS AND I SAY THIS ALL THE TIME.

HERE ARE SOME MORE RULES.

1. Eat only 3 small meals a day. Chew, chew chew.

2. Protein first

3 Do not drink while eating. 30 min before and 1 hr after. No carbonated drinks.

4. Take Vitamins.

5. Drink at least 64 oz of Water a day

6. Exercise daily.

NO EXCUSES, NO CHEATING NO BS. = WEIGHT LOSS. PROMISE. YOU CAN HOLD ME TO IT. KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS.IF YOU CHEAT ~~ YOU ARE ONLY CHEATING YOU. NOT ME, NOT ANY ONE ELSE. food DOES NOT MAKE STRESS GO AWAY. IT DOES NOT SOLVE PROBLEMS~ IT JUST ADDS TO THEM. THIS IS YOUR LIFE, THIS IS YOUR FUTURE~ NO ONE ELSES. YOU WILL NEVER FIND ANYONE ELSE LIKE ME THAT IS SO STRONG AND WHO WANTS SO MUCH FOR YOU. YOU MIGHT HATE ME BUT I LOVE YOU. LIZYBIRD@AOL.COM.

Welcome to our world!

we all understand how it seems to take forever to get to surgery day but, everything works as it should. keep reading other posts on this site. you will learn so much and will feel soooo much more ready for surgery.

are you dieting (sorry, I don't use that word!) now. are you exercising. have you started drinking lots of Water. anything you can do now will be so helpful. a kickstart of weight loss will make you feel so good. I am hoping your docs have already told you, the gastric band is not a miracle! we work hard to lose and keep fat off. this is not a diet or short lived program, you need to see it as a new lifestyle. for me that is such a good thing, hope it will be for you too!

Thank you ladies for the replies and the suggestions/ support! These last few days have been hectic and I haven't had much chance to be on here. I'm sure I'm gonna have plenty more questions as I move through this process!