Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Switching Insurance And Fill Coverage

I took a new job and will be switching insurance on May 1 through my new employer. Will the new insurance cover my fills?! Anyone go through this before?

It all depends on your new insurance. That is a question you would have to ask them directly. All insurance companies are different.

I had my lb on dec 22 on jan 1 my co changed insurance I went in for first fill feb. my new insurance doesn't cover any bariatics so I have to self pay for fills at 200. A fill it's still worth it to me but I have to make sure to save for fills. Every insurance coverage is different it all depends on which coverage your co has my insurance is united health care and the do cover under some plans but not with the one my co choose Good luck. It's hard to check if the cover it prior to employment.

You will have to ask your new employer. Generally, start with someone in human resources, or someone that administers your benefits at your new company. They should be able to tell you if they cover anything related to bariatrics, or direct you to their insurance that they offer for you to be able to check. Most insurances cover bariatric related services; however, sometimes depending upon the employer, they are able to decide whether they are going to cover weight loss related services or not under that particular plan. For instance, the coverage I currently have is through BCBS of Illinois with my current company and they DO cover bariatric related services; however, my husband's insurance through the same insurance company DOES NOT cover anything related to bariatric services at the request of his employer. Hopefully, you work for a company that has a benefits administrator or HR department and you can get the information that you need. Good Luck!

Thanks everyone for the replies! I guess I'll wait with fingers crossed!! X (that's crossed fingers.. lol)..

If not, a few hundred bucks a pop isn't so bad. I've had 4 fills already (so bad about keeping this updated!!)

Oh... and I have another appointment before the other insurance kicks in so I'll talk to my doctor then. I just don't want to get filled "just in case" and be too tight. I've been filled too tight twice already and it's no fun at all....

Does your new employer offer Healthcare Savings Accounts? What those do is take part of your salary (pretax) and put them in a special account. When you have a medical bill that is not covered by your insurance you use the money from this account to pay. Most now are like a credit card which you give to the doctors office and the money is deducted from you account. You can use these cards to also buy "medical supplies" at the drug store. If you look at CVS.com if an item says HSA eligible you could use your HSA funds to buy that item. I am going to start one of those with my new job as I don't think they cover bariactrics. One catch! You must use up all those funds by the end of the calendar year they do not carry over; so use or loose. Another good thing is this reduces your tax burden. If you put $500 in this account pretax; that's the equivilant of making $650 paying 30% federal tax and then being left with $500.