Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am having issues with clothes shopping, I just got a new job with professional dress code. All of my previous work clothes are scrubs. I can fit in to a 14/16 in most pants I try on, but an 18 looks better. In the shirts I can "fit into " a size L or XL, which fit good for the most part. I was previously wearing 18/20 pants and 1X/2X shirts. The thing i don't want to spend a lot of money, because I want to lose more weight before I go do dramatic wardrobe shopping. Their is one goodwill in this town with limited selection, I thought if I shopped there at least I wouldn't be spending a lot of money. So I try on the 16 and I am like "whoo hoo I can get it buttoned comfortably, but my thighs stand out like a sore thumb. I know if I go to plus size section they will be a little bigger , but look better. But I am avoiding the plus size section like the plague. I want to look good, but don't want to buy more clothes that will not fit in a few months. I am so used to buying clothes I can "squeeze into " instead of clothes that actually fit. Any suggestions on what type of clothes to buy? Do you buy clothes a little snug so they will fit better in the upcoming months of weight loss? Clothes shopping has been a depressing thing for as long as I can remember. And I was really hoping by going down an size or two it would be better, I am so disappointed, So what do I buy shoes of course they always look good and they always fit. Thanks in advance !

I always bought tight so I could wear them longer, but like you said-- it's such a bummer to lose weight but still wear ill-fitting clothes. If I were you I'd get a minimal number of pieces and wear them to death (like, 3 pairs of pants, all solid and non-descript so when you wear them 3 days in a week, no one will notice). You'll probably get through most of the "season" in them if you start tight and when it's time to buy the next season's clothes these will be falling off and you'll be ready for a smaller size.

I have gone through entire wardrobes during this process.

I'm probably no help. I'm an LVT so my work clothes are scrubs. What I've done is only buy clothes as I need them. If I have to have a nice top I buy it, but not to far before. As for squeezing into things, pants I'll squeeze as if I buy them comfy then once they stretch that's it can't wear them. Tops I refuse to buy them if they are kind of tight. I still have rolls and I hate the look of large people who squeeze into things and you can see their rolls. So is rather be a little looser on tops. I try to look for sales. I figure when I get to goal and buy a new wardrobe, I'll apply for a store credit card just to get the 15% or whatever off u get for applying. So I can save money then too

You could try shopping at consignment stores also. Even if you do have to by 2-3 pairs, you're still spending less than buying new. Snug is good....skin tight, however, is not work appropriate. :)

I have had some of my things tailored so that I would wear them in the interim. That might help - and certainly less expensive than new clothes that you will be able to wear for only a few months. It is frustrating, though, I know. As I put things on that don't fit any longer - I put them in a pile to take to Goodwill. My "saddlebags" are finally going away because of lots of exercise, but they have always been a struggle.

You're weight is doing great, though. I know you're thrilled, but the clothing thing is frustrating. All I can say is that at least you have a lot of company with other banders. We should open a clothing swap ;-)

Good luck!

I'm with state of frozen. Try to get some that are fitted, not too tight that you can wardrobe...and wear them to death.

I try to get things on sale and I also try to pick up nice but inexpensive pieces at Walmart or Target...I know, not the best places, but I travel around the world for business and no one has ever noticed :)

I am buying a little tight these days so the clothes will last longer. I have also bought some straps to cinch some of my looser tops. I bought a strap made to clip to your belt loops that helped me skip a size in buying pants. I only have a few pair of pants that fit at any given size too. Luckily, I have saved my skinnier clothes over the last decade so I've been able pull them out of storage as I've lost weight. I have a beautiful wardrobe awaiting me when I make it back to my goal weight. Good luck finding clothes without going broke!

I would look for basic skirts in black, brown and navy. Skirts are more forgiving and easier to wear if they are tight for now. I'd invest in a skinny belt or two so you can belt some of your bigger tops as you lose.

Congrats on your new job and your weight loss success.

I thank everyone for the helpful hints. I know a lot of people have commented on using straps to cinch up blouses. I have no idea what these are and where do i find them? The skirt is a good idea, when I looked through my closet I found some skirts, they are more forgiving for sure. Bras is another disappointment, My boobs have not gotten any smaller. So I have gone form a 40DD to a 36DD. I guess I was hoping I could get a few cute bras instead of the plain jane bras you find in the bigger sizes. Any suggestions where to get a cute bra that has a DD? Thanks for all the advice. :)

i have heard from others that black yoga pants are the best thing to buy as your weight goes down. they have a stretchy top that accomadates your stomach as it shrinks, you can bend and stretch in them, and being plain black they can be used for casual wear or made more dressy for work with a pretty top. Wal mart has a good, inexpensive selection.

i have heard from others that black yoga pants are the best thing to buy as your weight goes down. they have a stretchy top that accomadates your stomach as it shrinks, you can bend and stretch in them, and being plain black they can be used for casual wear or made more dressy for work with a pretty top. Wal mart has a good, inexpensive selection.

I have the biggest problem with this. I have lots of clothes my mom bought me that no longer fit. I'm practically swimming in them, actually. However, I refuse to buy new clothes because I'm scared that I won't be able to fit into them in a few months.

My suggestion is this: Buy the basics. Just get a few things that "fit" now and also buy things that will fit when you are a few sizes down. It's a necessity that you look good at your new job, but you can get the best of both worlds. :) Just get a few for right now, but more clothes for later.

That's what I do and it works for me. It's one of the frustrations that comes with weight loss.

Best of luck!

For DD bras that are cute and pretty, Lane Bryant, Women Within, and Just My Size.I like the yoga pants idea and hope I can wear them after banding. I always thought they were very cute but they never had my size!

I agree with the ideas about buying pieces as you need them.

Also looking forward to shopping in my own closet for the years of cute and pretty things that I couldn't wear!

I thank everyone for the helpful hints. I know a lot of people have commented on using straps to cinch up blouses. I have no idea what these are and where do i find them? The skirt is a good idea, when I looked through my closet I found some skirts, they are more forgiving for sure. Bras is another disappointment, My boobs have not gotten any smaller. So I have gone form a 40DD to a 36DD. I guess I was hoping I could get a few cute bras instead of the plain jane bras you find in the bigger sizes. Any suggestions where to get a cute bra that has a DD? Thanks for all the advice. smile.png

Frederick's of Hollywood has the cutest bras. They are always having some type of sale. Check them out. I love how they fit and how they make my boobs look perky.

As for bras, I've had a lot of success at JC Penney. They have everything from your basic blah bra to cute (but appropriate) bras to even a few risque ones. Reasonably priced, and they're always having some type of bra sale. Last time I bra shopped they had a buy one get one, so I bought 4 that fit and then a couple a band size down. I am currently a 38D. My mom is a DD and has had success at JC Penney too.

Clothes shopping when you're in your super weight-loss phase is tough! At one point I was going down a size every month! I bought my clothes snug and wore them until they were practically falling off. The real key for me is I bought every other size. So, I would buy say 22's and then wait until I fit into 18's to buy again. Also, buying L/XL instead of number sizes gives you more wiggle room. Elastic bands give you more wiggle room too (although I'm not a fan so I don't take my own advice there! LOL!) Right now, I have 3 pairs of pants for work...I bought them on sale (NEVER NEVER buy anything that's not on sale during this phase...or ever really!). I wear the same pants 2-3 times a week and rotate shirts. Walmart and Target have really nice plain shirts that are often less than $15. I have tons of them and no one knows they aren't designer shirts! Black Friday is a week away and there are bound to be good sales! :) I shop the clearance racks and places like TJ Maxx and Ross and other consignment stores. I also found that Old Navy jeans fit me best, so I will watch for sales and when there's a really good deal I will buy the next size down, even if I'm not there yet because it saves me money and is GREAT motivation having those jeans hanging in your closet! Right now I have 2 pairs of size 14's staring me down that I am determined to get into by New Year's. ;) So if you know that a certain style of pants or other clothing fits you well, watch for sales and grab them when they're cheap! I'm also a big fan of New York & Co, and if you get on their email list they send you offers like every other day and you can combine coupons and sales and get some real killer deals. There is no reason that you can't look FABULOUS while you're losing weight! :)