Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help Me Get Back on the Right Track

I need help getting back on the right trak. Of course, I know what I should be doing. I was banded in Nov. 09 and lost weight very slowly only about 30lbs. Now I've gained 20 of that back and I believe I need an adjustment, because I am making poor nutritional choices. I can't even eat half a sandwich, but I can eat a lot of ice cream and candy.... I am embarassed to go back to the doc's for an adjustment. Should I be? Has anyone been in this situation? I went to our local meetings for about 6 months, everyone was losing enormous amounts of weight. Not me, I got discourage. Please help me. Let me hear your story. Thanks so much and God bless to all!

Terri

An adjustment won't help you make healthy choices. If you can eat 1/2 a sandwich and be full, i don't know if you need a fill. That sounds about right to me. You need to get back in the game. You know what to eat, it's so darn hard at times. I know it is, but you can do it. You have to want to do it, and it sounds like you do. Start fresh, like you just had the band and get back to thinking and eating like you did when you lost that 30 pounds. It's hard, but it is do-able. You did it once. The right choices are a very very big part of this process.

Going back in for a check up / fill may still be a good idea. Get in and talk to them, they are there to help and want you to succeed.

Don't be ashamed. We all struggle.

VERY Best of luck to you!

You can do it!!!

I totally understand and am right there with you. I lost 54 lbs initially but gained 15 back. I have an appointment with my very stern surgeon tomorrow afternoon and not very much looking forward to it. I haven't seen him in over two years. It took a lot for me to make the call but I'm glad I did. I need to go back to the basics. I still have restriction but I struggle with several things. I have never been good at not drinking while eating and I never get enough exercise. I'm anxious and nervous about my appointment tomorrow but I am taking my husband with me so that I will have him to be accountable to.

Good luck to you!

I need help getting back on the right trak. Of course, I know what I should be doing. I was banded in Nov. 09 and lost weight very slowly only about 30lbs. Now I've gained 20 of that back and I believe I need an adjustment, because I am making poor nutritional choices. I can't even eat half a sandwich, but I can eat a lot of ice cream and candy.... I am embarassed to go back to the doc's for an adjustment. Should I be? Has anyone been in this situation? I went to our local meetings for about 6 months, everyone was losing enormous amounts of weight. Not me, I got discourage. Please help me. Let me hear your story. Thanks so much and God bless to all!

Terri

Well, for what is it worth, I am jealous that you can't even eat half a sandwich! :-) I'm not there yet regarding intake restriction from the band. So in the meantime, I am totally aided by making sure I eat 80 grams of Protein a day (it keeps me satisfied for several hours between meals), and writing down every calorie I put in my mouth. SEEING it in black and white really helps.

And as you already know, getting the sabotage foods out of the house is helpful! Just last night, I would have gone for it, had it been in the house!

Good luck to you! You can do it!

Thanks to all who gave me moral support,. I have made an appointment for next Tuesday and feel very good about it. Looking foward to getting back on the right track. Peace to all!

Oh good Lord. I know how it feels to not be able to eat half a sandwich, but be able to eat more Reese's Peanut Butter Cups than would make up that half a sandwich. :P College is a blast, but it's definitely incredibly hard sometimes. I live in a dorm in my own room, and the best thing I do for myself is just get rid of everything fattening. Seriously, just throw that stuff OUT. So even if you get the munchies and you give in, you're at least eating something healthy.

It's actually good that you can't handle half a sandwich. That's about normal. Stuff that's solid like that sticks in the pouch longer and keeps you full for hours. You need to be eating stuff like that. Protein is a big part of nutrition, but it also keeps you fuller, longer. As hard as it may be to part with the candy, you've gotta do it.

Oh! And ice cream is one of the very few things I can cheat my band with. If you think about it, it's practically liquid. Once it gets in you, it melts and goes right through the pouch. Ice cream's a great thing to have (and one of my favorites!), but only every once in a while. You can definitely cheat with it. If you really want to keep it in the house just for Snacks, then get the individually serving size packaged ones and make sure you only eat one!

Best of luck to you!

Elizabeth

Thanks to all who gave me moral support,. I have made an appointment for next Tuesday and feel very good about it. Looking foward to getting back on the right track. Peace to all!

Please come back and let us know what happened...you'll find most doctors are supportive. The band is only a tool - we have to make it work for us. Please find a good group of support people to go to and DON'T be discouraged by the large numbers of weight people lose. We all lose at a different rate...I know about the slider and cheater foods...they "taste" so good - but they are DRUGS and that's how they work on us...I find it better to not have the stuff around...my husband can eat all of that so I make him buy it - that way he buys what he likes and it usually isn't what I like! It's a little easier to resist that way! PLEASE find a support group!

Terri

Some one - some where....on this forum said to try this.....http://www.5daypouchtest.com/ It does help jump start!

My "journey" has been arduous at best....

My stats; Banded July 2010....plateaued at a 50 lb loss for EVER!....lost 4 more with (the aforementioned link....) Haven't weighed in tho in 1.5 months.

Good luck! :)

I totally understand and am right there with you. I lost 54 lbs initially but gained 15 back. I have an appointment with my very stern surgeon tomorrow afternoon and not very much looking forward to it. I haven't seen him in over two years. It took a lot for me to make the call but I'm glad I did. I need to go back to the basics. I still have restriction but I struggle with several things. I have never been good at not drinking while eating and I never get enough exercise. I'm anxious and nervous about my appointment tomorrow but I am taking my husband with me so that I will have him to be accountable to.

Good luck to you!

I know this is an old post. As I read it. .... I'm going back to see my Doc after 2 yrs. I lost 50 and gained 20 back.

I know this is an old post. As I read it. .... I'm going back to see my Doc after 2 yrs. I lost 50 and gained 20 back.

I'm just starting out, but stay with it. Going to dr will help you be accountable. They are there for YOU! You're still down 30lbs from when you started and that is definitely a positive! Please keep us posted:)

Well, I think I LOST all that I gained. Plus, possibly lost 5 more!

Now....I need to continue onward!!!!!

Hello everyone!

I feel so ashamed of myself and I feel like people are staring at me all the time "saying she isnt losing weight", I had my lapband done in Oct 2013 and up til now I have only lost 36 pounds and 15 inches, I cant get by with only a cup of food, I feel so guilty, I feel I have let my family down and more importantly myself...I feel like I need someone to put a week or month menu in front of me on what to eat...I work nights and so with my schedule backwards to the rest of my family I feel like I eat around the clock....Anyone who would be willing to help me get on the right track or someone I should see to get on the right track would be greatly appreciated.....

Brenda

I was desperate for guidance. Found this gal on YouTube ...began duplicating her meal prep and following it to a tee. It has helped me. Along with all her other videos.

Give her a try.

Brenda

I was desperate for guidance. Found this gal on YouTube ...began duplicating her meal prep and following it to a tee. It has helped me. Along with all her other videos.

Give her a try.

Thx