Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this realistic?

I am being banded on the 22nd. My brother is getting married in Barbados on August 19th. I would like to lose a lot of weight by then since I haven't seen my brother and parents for a couple of years. I have been overweight all my life and have dreamed of "wowing" them with a big weight loss. Of course I own't be near goal, but I'd like to lose 80 pounds by then. Is that realistic?:help:

I dont know about 80lbs but if,,,IF, you do everything your spossed to,

lets put it another way,

if you spend your time doing all the things your spossed to do, you wont have time to even think about the stuff you shouldnt do.

you could WOW them very nicely.

good luck to you.

I think so. You would need to have a good excersize plan, a good eating plan, and approach this like a diet with a little help from your band.

I would highly recommend that you start your day with a good Protein shake that has at least 25 grams of Protein. It will jump start your weight loss.

If you plan on joining a gym, have a few sessions with a personal trainer. It will really give you an edge with your exercise.

That is what I did when I lost 60 pounds in 6 months a few years ago. Thank God you have the band to help keep it off.

The band is a tool to weightloss, how well you can use that tool will be something entirely in your hands.

80lbs IMHO is too fast. As the other Dog said though, work it, work ir hard. Eat right, eat smart, exercise.

The difference can (and if you work hard) WILL be amazing.

The VERY best of luck!

I lost 30 pounds in one month. Pre-op diet (-13) and after surgery (-17). My surgeon tells me that the average weight loss is about 8 pounds per month. I have set my goal for 2 pounds a week.

You may not lose 80 pounds, but I guarantedd that if you take all of the adivce you've been given here and work your way through this summer with dedication and determination, you will be turning heads and creating smiles when you show up for that wedding in six months.

Be sure to take before pics! We would love to see them next to the wedding pics in August!

I lost 57 pounds in 6 months. I work out but not like I should. If I were at the gym 3 times per week it would have been more. ~Mandy

However much it ends up being you could lose a lot of weight by then.

The best thing about losing weight too is that you dont have to get to any particular goal, you start to feel better immediately and you feel awesome pretty darn quickly. 12kg down I dont look an awful lot different yet, specially since I'm tall and have lots of places to hide weight, but gosh I feel fantastic.

Hi,

You will have to work hard but you can do it. I lost 80 lbs my first 6 months of banding and a total of 120 my first year, but I worked pretty hard to lose it.

Babs in TX

334/180ish

-150 ish

I agree 80 lbs may be a bit higher than you should hope for, but you'll feel so much better whatever the amount is. Just dwell on being the best you can be & enjoy the visit. That should wow 'em enough!!

Uhm, well you could be a Turtle. You have to be prepaired for the possibliity that you will only lose 15- 20 pounds by then. You might do everthing "right" and still not lose.

There are no garentees with the band.

But, if you end up being a typical banster, and not a turtle, you could very easily lose 40 pounds by then. If you don't think that's a lot, go pick up 40 pound of something and lug it about for a while.

Please try to understand the bigger pix of this journey, that you life will be changed, that there will be so many wonderful things happen because you've decided to take this road. Don't get hung up on a number.

Everyone is so different, but it is possible. I am 6 months post-op, and have lost 75 lbs. I am a bit older, and unable to exercise much, but I watch what and how much I eat closely.

If you start now - following the band rules - even before you have the surgery to will have a 2.5 week jump on the "official" start of your new "diet".

I don't think you said how much you weigh - but it seems that the more you weigh the more you are apt to loose in the very beginning - so if you are like most your quickest wgt loss will be in the first 6 month - and since those are the months before seeing your family - I think you could definitely WOW them.

Like I said get on it now! :puke:

Patti

I have to reiterate what Vines said. There are quite a number of people who follow all the rules 90% or more of the time and just don't lose the way they want to. It really depends on how your body works. If your body works the way many of our rabbits around here do, then you may very well lose that much, but I think that you need to not be too dissapointed if it doesn't, you know?