Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting A Stall After Lap Band Surgery

I stalled about 3 months ago .. I am now 8 month post op and wondering if this as good as it gets for me. I'm down about 40 pounds and refuse to believe I had surgery for just 40 pounds. Recently joined a gym which hasn't helped.. went from 3 meals to 6 small with no results, Breads been out the window for several months now, Gonna try dropping other obvious startched for a while and see if that can't jump start things

I don't understand how people stall , I hear it all the time and I think people are doing more then they are saying , I got surgery on Jan 28 , did my post op diet , which help me start low carb , I started at 263 , now I weight 202 , and only 2 fills and my last one was in April , now I live by low carb , and I mean I live by it , there are days when my carb intake is around 20 grams , I have giving my self a couple of cheat weekends , memorial weekend and fourth of July weekend , so I don't go into craving mode , but if you are doing low carb right , then there shouldn't be a stall , so soon , how about starting over with low carb , and doing it right

I feel like my weight loss has been really slow....I gets very discouraging knowing...in two months I only lost 18 lbs after surgery. I mean my clothes are falling off, but I still would like to see more progress since I am eating around 900 -1000 cal. a day. so, I decided to pay attention to my carb intake. I have not had any bread, Pasta or rice and keep away from all sweets besides sugar free Jello pudding and popsicles. I am going to try to keep my carbs under 50 g per day, my sugar is already under 24 grams a day. I really hope this gives me the boost that I need.

^^^^ 18 lbs in two months that is great , don't get let down , push trough it and keep going , the moment you give up you are done , so stay positive and take pictures , it will help with the mental part , I stay the same weight for a little , but inches keep coming off , and inches is what you are going to see over pounds

The only times I stalled I needed a fill. I needed to eat less because I was too lazy to exercise and I refused to diet...dieting is what made me obese, I think!

I too am at a stall. I had surgery one month ago. Down 20 pounds. I eat about 1000-1200 calories daily, and ride my bike at 21MPH for one hour six days a week. My clothes are feeling wonderful with muscles tightening up everywhere. But I feel the scale should be showing a bigger loss.

A fear for me is could I be eating too little calories? I'm afraid that my body is thinking that it's in starvation mode and holding onto what I eat.

FYI - my calories are 80% Protein. Less than 10g of sugar per day (broken up with no more than 5g at a time.) Other calories are from veggies only. No sugar, no starches, no sauces, no butters, less than 25% fat.

Advice?

Angela

JakerT5...you're lucky you haven't had a stall! But that doesn't mean that people are cheating if they do stall! You're being quite judgemental. I had a 2 month stall where I kept fluctuating on 2-3 lbs. Come to find out my band was too tight! I wasn't getting in enough calories and my body did NOT appreciate it. After a slight unfill, I was doing better and had more energy and started increasing my strength training (I did not have enough energy before to get through much of my training and was relying mostly on cardio). After jump starting the strength training, I beginned to stall again ON THE scale only...I was losing inches. Try keeping track of your measurements and make sure you're getting plenty of fluids to keep things circulating.

Angela, try changing up your workout. Your body will get used to the same old workout and will become efficient. I personally enjoy the elliptical. My trainer has me on several workouts that increase and decrease the speed and resistance every few minutes. This kicks your metabolism up and gets your heart really going. It's working well for me! Between 1000-1200 should be just fine. I was having trouble losing when I was around 500-800 calories (Band was too tight...). Good luck!

I agree with Princess...I went thru a stall also..We have to keep in mind that all of us are different and unique and of course will respond to the band in the same manner...I believe our bodies are made to be highly effecient and resilient. So of course, our bodies are going to try and right itself, and that's the stall. It's trying to hold on to what it's got...change up your excercise routine and that will help get over the hump. It's just a plateau..u'll experience many! Don't get discouraged..this isn't something your trying to do and get over with as quickly as possible...This is a lifestyle. Embrace it.

Men and women lose weight at different rates. I am 1 year out and have had many stalls. The key is to change it up food & exercise wise. I am in the green zone. I use to lose 2 lbs/ wk. Now that i am closer to goal i lose .5 lbs/wk. I eat 1200 cals and workout 1-2 hrs/day. I feel amazing! I am down 108 lbs and a size 8 from a 24. Keep your eye on the prize & celibrate the NSV's! Good luck all!

Some of you are really hard on yourselves!! I know we all want the weight to fall off... and we are working so hard, it should....but remember 1-2 pounds are normal. So 10 pounds a month is great!!! Thats 35,000calories!!!

I agree with the mixing things up a little. Our bodies (and minds) get complacent and we need to keep them sharp!!

Hang in there. We're going to get there!!!

Even people who haven't had surgery experience stalls in their weight loss. I think what's important to remember is even if we aren't seeing the scale go down we should be paying attention to other areas of our bodies. I've been experiencing a stall for the last month and half with fluxing up and down the same 3lbs, but I'm seeing changes in my body, my pants are still getting looser and my shirts are starting to swallow me! 1/2 my pants are comfortably loose when I first put them on and I have to have a belt by mid day because I feel as if I'm going to have them around my ankles at any moment. I also stopped and re-evaluated my diet and realized I had slacked on my Protein by 20-25 grams daily and by adding my Protein Shake back as a mid afternoon snack (I was getting dizzy spells and was told my sugars were dropping because I needed protein) My scale has moved past that low flux mark! I'm now down 3 more lbs!

I'm so depress when I don't loose anything I'm following weight watchers and doing Zumba but still I stalled I've lost 4 stones in one year and four months after my band op last march 2011 .