Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a full-time working mother and wife who has a BMI over 51. I have been considering (have decided that I am gonna do it) the LapBand to assist in changing my life. I have done the research and I am scheduled for my first seminar in 2 days, I'm scarred and I don't know what to expect. Looking forward to talking with people who know my struggle & challenges and know what I can, should, will, and won't deal with in looking into this option.

You "don't know" your doctor's policy on fills after the surgery. It could be several fills before you find the band working best for you. I would ask how much it costs and/or what insurance covers if this could be a factor. Some people have claimed their doctors won't give fills when needed...try to pry and find out if the doctor will hold fills hostage if you're "not losing" or something....

I would also ask if the hospital itself is experienced with bariatric surgery. ie, will they give you meds before surgery for nausea? Some people are very sick afterwards.....

Congrats on making one of the best decisions of your life-one that will actually help you have a healthier, longer life too! This site is terrific and we are all here to help and support one another! Welcome Aboard!!!

Good luck on your journey. Lap-Band, as you will find, is a tool. If you use it properly it can come with great success. Personally, I have found these forums so very educational and you will learn a lot more from personal experiences rather than what the Docs say on the medical part. I learned MUCH more than what the Drs. have discussed and NOT discussed for that matter.

PS- I am reading the book "Bandwagon" which really tells you everything you need to know about Lapband suregery and it's written by someone who had the surgery. I ordered it on Amazon for $19.99-I wish I had it before I got my surgery!

What you don't know is that surgery is just the beginning- then the REAL hard work starts. Make sure you speak in depth with your doctor's team about what your diet will be like after surgery- not just the healing time, but when you get back to eating "real" food. Make sure you know if your office is aggressive about fills or not, if they make you wait a certain amount of time in between fills, how much they charge, what other follow up care you'll receive.

I think you are making a great decision! You obviously have the perfect mindset to be a bandster! I was impressed by the way you worded your forum when you said something about getting a band to assist you with changing your life. That is exactly what it does it only helps you there is still a lot of work that has to come from within. I was banded on the 25th of May, and my doctor requires me to be on a diet that consist of sugar free liquids, Protein shakes, popsicles, yougurt, pudding, creamed Soups for the first 5 weeks. All sugar free, and low sodium! It has been tough at times! You have to realize that the band doesn't get filled for the first time until 5 or 6 weeks post-op, there is some restriction that is from just putting the band on, but not like it will be after a fill. I think it is important to know that yes even after you get you band you will go through periods when you feel hungry, and you have to fight it off that first month until you start getting fills! It will take several fills (everyone is different) to get to that "sweet" spot. With that being said it is the best thing I've ever done. The hunger doesn't stay it just comes every now and then. I've learned to drink Water or some Protein shake, and it ususally goes away! It has been worth it I've lost a total of 18 pounds since I started with the 2 week pre-op diet on the 11th of May. Good luck with your decision!

I also wanted to mention that you will have to drink Protein Shakes to supplement Protein starting on your pre-op diet. I suggest to start getting different ones, and try them to see what works for you ahead of time. I didn't do that, and I was stuck several times with terrible tasting shakes I couldn't stand to drink, but was forced to until I could buy a different kind becouse I was already on my pre-op and couldn't eat meat. Finally I found Unjury (classic chocolate is my fav!) I was so happy it tasted wonderful even my 14 year old tasted it and liked it. I had to order him a jug of it! He said it tast like a yahoo! Also find out what your pre-op diet will be, and start experimenting with the foods to see what you do, and don't like. Again I didn't do this ahead of time, and was stuck doing it during the diet. I learned fast that regular campbells Soup and the healthy request campbells soup tasted way different!! Anyway that is my suggestion is to find out what the pre -op and post-op diets will be, and start figuring out what works for you ahead of time, and stock up on it!!

I am a full-time working mother and wife who has a BMI over 51. I have been considering (have decided that I am gonna do it) the LapBand to assist in changing my life. I have done the research and I am scheduled for my first seminar in 2 days, I'm scarred and I don't know what to expect. Looking forward to talking with people who know my struggle & challenges and know what I can, should, will, and won't deal with in looking into this option.

My first seminar is June 6th. I like you am very nervous. So many questions and is lapband a better choice than bypass etc.etc.......I know there will be plenty of people to answer our questions but What questions should I ask.

Thank you all for all of your comments. I have just come from my first seminar and although I walked away overwhelmed I am still very encouraged about the scenery on this new journey.

Here I go...off to make the first of many appointments.

Thanks again.

My seminar was today too. did you walk away reassured? I was very overwhelmed.

My first seminar is June 6th. I like you am very nervous. So many questions and is lapband a better choice than bypass etc.etc.......I know there will be plenty of people to answer our questions but What questions should I ask.