Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

a 22 year old who's nervous

Hey everyone. Im going to my pre-op appointment tomorrow and will be banded on Wednesday, June 1. I am so nervous. I have never had a surgery, but thats the least of my fear, Im scared that the lap band wont work, i just dont want to fail. Im 22 and ready to live my life the healthy way. I love my life and there is just one thing missing, the real me on the outside. I love to dress up in my wonderful assortment of plus size clothes but deep down im not happy with whats staring back at me in the mirror because its not healthy. Im scared, nervous, excited, and anxious, but I dont know what to expect!!!! Can anyone give advice on handling this or even on how to get through the first week. I Havent met many young people who have had weight loss surgery. I would love to hear/read similar stories. Thanks

Hey! I'm 21 and had surgery jan 25th of this year. that was about 4 months ago and i've lost a whopping 56 lbs! the ONLY thing you need to remember is FOLLOW THE RULES. If you don't follow your set rules you will not be successful. You need to remember your goal and everything will be fine. Stay on your diet. =) if you have questions or just want someone to talk to that's around your age i'm all ears. ;) you can always message me on my profile as well!!!

hey! i am 22 as well, and i will be banded on june 10th. i know how you feel, TRUST me. but just think, we are doing this at such a great time, we are young and have our whole lives ahead of us, so we are lucky to get this out of the way, rather than suffering for more years. we are going to live our twenties the way we were always meant to do so! id love to keep in touch, both of you, message me whenever!

Hello!

I'm 23 and being banded on June 9th. I'm nervous because anything with surgery attached to it is scary. Watch: Puppies-Surgery! Rainbows-Surgery! Did you see how puppies and rainbows just became a little scary, lol.

I did research for a long time. I have been heavy most of my life. When I hit puberty, I expanded not only in my chest but everywhere else too! I was always a little heavier then my classmates but in high school, I couldn't stop gaining and wasn't doing anything to cause me to gain weight. I was fortunate to find the love of my life and am married but I feel like I hold my husband back. When we go places, I want to take the short route so I don't have to keep walking. I can't always fit in a booth if we go out, so we get a table. I am very confident and feel like I'm successful at 23 years old but I want to be healthy. My husband would love nothing more than to start a family. I can't wait either but I'm not healthy enough to carry a child, it's not good for the baby or for me. I would like for us to focus on US, me getting healthy, him finishing school.

Lap-Band I feel is the perfect choice for me. I have had a blood clot in the past which was due to me taking birth control. I am more susceptible to clots since I have had one before and gastric REALLY scares me and the fact that the chance would be even greater, I wouldn't consider it! I would like to be able to fit in a booth or fit into a plastic lawn chair without the sides stabbing my hips and me feeling like I'm going to break it. But really, I just want to be healthy. I lost my grandmother (who I am a clone of) almost 5 years ago because of her being overweight. She didn't get to come to my wedding, she didn't get to see my little brother graduate jr. high, she won't be here to see her first grandchild :(

It saddens me that I'm losing years off my life just because I'm overweight. SO! I wanted to do something about it.

Please keep in touch, I think the more support the better! I have learned so much from the forums and am truly thankful to have gained such a LARGE family (no pun intended) with so much love and support. The Lap-Band / WLS/ Bariatric family. It's a great and beautiful thing!

woooow thanks guys i TRULY feeel sooo much better....I too have fallen completely in love with this site. Im new to this site so Im still learning how to use the site lol. would it be easier to keep in touch by adding you guys as friends? I will keep my progress up to date. Thanks for the replies guys :)))))))

Hey! I'm 21 and had surgery jan 25th of this year. that was about 4 months ago and i've lost a whopping 56 lbs! the ONLY thing you need to remember is FOLLOW THE RULES. If you don't follow your set rules you will not be successful. You need to remember your goal and everything will be fine. Stay on your diet. =) if you have questions or just want someone to talk to that's around your age i'm all ears. ;) you can always message me on my profile as well!!!

Omg thanks its good to hear from someone thats around my age who has been through what im getting ready to go through....Is there anything that has been a struggle for you? CONGRATS btw for the 56 lbs thats awesome.

I love reading all of these motivating posts! I had my first consult this past week and I have all my appointments lines up for the next 2 weeks and could potentially get banded in July if all goes well. I am 26, newly married, want a family...stop holding my husband back...all the things you have all said- I feel too. It is wonderful to know that I am not alone on this journey and there are others out there in my position. I think I am making the right decision..for the first time in a long time I feel a sense of hope and excitement for my future. :)