Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week until surgery and scared

I am having my surgery on May 23. I am one week into the 2 week liquid pre-op diet. I have really been struggling the past few days and having second thoughts about the surgery. I have never had any kind of surgery before and I am really scared. I am 26 years old and I weigh 296 pounds. I have to lose weight that is not an option. I just want to make sure I am making the right decision. I have been reading several discussions on here and it seems like a lot of people have negative things to say about the lap band. I never heard much negative feedback until I come to this sight. For those of you that have been banded do you think it was worth it? I am also really worried about the pain after the surgery and being able to eat normal again. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Jenn, I understand that scared feeling. I too never had surgery before until this past Friday when I got banded. It wasn't bad at all. I didn't even have to stay the night. It is normal to be scared. I was. I was so nervous. I started freaking myself out. Just calm down.

When people ask me if I was scared to have the surgery, I always reply that I am more scared to live with Diabetes and Hypertension for the rest of my life. You are doing the right thing for your health. Good luck and stay strong.

I am having my surgery on May 23. I am one week into the 2 week liquid pre-op diet. I have really been struggling the past few days and having second thoughts about the surgery. I have never had any kind of surgery before and I am really scared. I am 26 years old and I weigh 296 pounds. I have to lose weight that is not an option. I just want to make sure I am making the right decision. I have been reading several discussions on here and it seems like a lot of people have negative things to say about the lap band. I never heard much negative feedback until I come to this sight. For those of you that have been banded do you think it was worth it? I am also really worried about the pain after the surgery and being able to eat normal again. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Jenn,

First off congrats on making the decision to change your life! The lapband can be a negative tool if you allow it to be. It all depends on YOU and how you USE it. If you dont follow the rules of the band... and you dont keep an open relationship with your surgeon/fill dr then negative issues will arise. But if you are serious about it, and treat the band as a tool and work together... you will be FINE! I was banded almost a year ago, June 3rd, 2010. Ive had my own issues, but ive lost 61 lbs that i dont have to worry about any more. I love my lapband. I was 25 when i got the lapband and it was my very first surgery ever! I was a nervous wreck but i knew that once it was over and i was healed that my life would be changed. I still eat normal. Just wayyyyy smaller amounts. You will adjust to the band... and every fill will slowly teach you how to eat. The surgery itself isnt bad. The pain is def do-able. The hardest part is to stand up from a sitting position. Make sure you walk around a lot to rid any gas... etc. The drs will give you pain meds which is GREAT lol. I would totally do it again! If you have any questions, feel free to Private message me. You will do great. Whenever i was in my pre-op stage i was struggling as well. Reading the posts on here will freak you out. BUT go look at the before and after pictures... if that doesnt motivate you i dont know what will lol.

Hello Jenn, my fellow sister bandster.

I am also set to be banded on May 23rd and I am sooo ready. Also gagging through the pre-op diet. I've slipped a bit but managing to lose 5 lbs in 4 days so It's all good. And when i say slip i meann just minor things. Remember what caused u to look this route in the first place. And stay focused on it. I'm 29 years old and the only regret i have is not doing the surgery sooner. I've wasted so much time where I could really be LIVING! sigh, but at least I'm on it now. One last hurdle on Wed gotta get a stress test done, but hopefully I will ace it! Good luck to you on your surgery .. please PM and we can compare notes. :)