Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, all! I'm a newbie and on the road to getting banded, hopefully in June! Can't wait to join you all on this amazing journey :rolleyes: My question is about port location...my surgeon, highly respected, done 1000's of LapBands, Center of Excellence, etc etc (saying all this to reassure you all he's not a quack!), mentioned that he has placed a few ports right at the sternum location. There is a natural depression there to the right (he made me feel it) and he says the people he has done this location love it. It is not affected by your underwire bras (for us ladies) and when you do lose most of your weight, they use a lower profile port so it doesn't protrude at all. Also, this location serves as a better anchor for those of us that are short-waisted (not me) or have really large bellies (definitely me!), which can cause the port to flip, or rotate (note this is rare, but does happen!)

So, has anyone had their port installed at their sternum?? I am having a hard time seeing how this could really work, or not get in the way, or not 'feel' it under my bra, etc. And what about when I sleep on my side and the 'girls' flop together...can't you feel it in the middle??

Please let me know! Remember, my surgeon is amazing, so even though this may sound weird to some, he's not a quack and knows what he's doing. I would just love to hear from some who may have their port at this location so I can get a handle on their experiences.

Thanks is advance, my lovely BandSiblings! (I almost said sisters, but we do have our gentlemen on here!) Have a fantastic day in Bandland!!

I would get a second opinion on locating the port over your sternum. I was banded 3/19 - with the port on the belly button side of the lower left quadrant. My surgeon has a technique using mesh to pull the port into place - the mesh attaches to the tissue, and there is no problem with the port. With the port over your sternum, what would be the effect if you ever needed CPR? Since your surgeon has done this on 'a few ports', is there any reason he would need to place it there on you?

You need a medical opinion you can rely on - rather than what I'm offering :-) But any reliable surgeon should welcome a second opinion.

Good luck - so far it has met all my expectations, plus some. I've dropped 30 lbs since going on the pre-op diet 2 weeks before the surgery.

Hello, all! I'm a newbie and on the road to getting banded, hopefully in June! Can't wait to join you all on this amazing journey :rolleyes: My question is about port location...my surgeon, highly respected, done 1000's of LapBands, Center of Excellence, etc etc (saying all this to reassure you all he's not a quack!), mentioned that he has placed a few ports right at the sternum location. There is a natural depression there to the right (he made me feel it) and he says the people he has done this location love it. It is not affected by your underwire bras (for us ladies) and when you do lose most of your weight, they use a lower profile port so it doesn't protrude at all. Also, this location serves as a better anchor for those of us that are short-waisted (not me) or have really large bellies (definitely me!), which can cause the port to flip, or rotate (note this is rare, but does happen!)

So, has anyone had their port installed at their sternum?? I am having a hard time seeing how this could really work, or not get in the way, or not 'feel' it under my bra, etc. And what about when I sleep on my side and the 'girls' flop together...can't you feel it in the middle??

Please let me know! Remember, my surgeon is amazing, so even though this may sound weird to some, he's not a quack and knows what he's doing. I would just love to hear from some who may have their port at this location so I can get a handle on their experiences.

Thanks is advance, my lovely BandSiblings! (I almost said sisters, but we do have our gentlemen on here!) Have a fantastic day in Bandland!!

I would get a second opinion on locating the port over your sternum. I was banded 3/19 - with the port on the belly button side of the lower left quadrant. My surgeon has a technique using mesh to pull the port into place - the mesh attaches to the tissue, and there is no problem with the port. With the port over your sternum, what would be the effect if you ever needed CPR? Since your surgeon has done this on 'a few ports', is there any reason he would need to place it there on you?

You need a medical opinion you can rely on - rather than what I'm offering :-) But any reliable surgeon should welcome a second opinion.

Good luck - so far it has met all my expectations, plus some. I've dropped 30 lbs since going on the pre-op diet 2 weeks before the surgery.

I'm sure he knows what he is doing.........but I don't know about getting a fill or the needle inserted in or around my sternum. (shivers thinking about that) Maybe it's not that bad.

i was banded 6-25-08 i wieght 582lbs at the tie of my surgery my port is located on my sternum

and i have no real problems with it, i am a male at first it felt kinda wierd, i have bumped it while to get things out the back of my truck, when i first started working out my chest it would get sore but not pain full i still have a ay to go as far as weight loss but my family feels this lap band saved my life no longer diabetic, a1c 5.4 no longer on oxgen pack my blod pressure is under control and have good cholrestrol levels hope this helped you out and good luck

i was banded 6-25-08 i wieght 582lbs at the tie of my surgery my port is located on my sternum

and i have no real problems with it, i am a male at first it felt kinda wierd, i have bumped it while to get things out the back of my truck, when i first started working out my chest it would get sore but not pain full i still have a ay to go as far as weight loss but my family feels this lap band saved my life no longer diabetic, a1c 5.4 no longer on oxgen pack my blod pressure is under control and have good cholrestrol levels hope this helped you out and good luck

Wow, Mike....that is fantastic about the diabetes being gone and the low a1c levels! I am so happy for you! And thank you so much for letting me know about your experience with where your port is. I am wondering if I may not have the same issues since i have so much 'padding' on either side, if you know what I mean! Thanks for taking the time to respond and good luck on your continued journey.....

I'm sure he knows what he is doing.........but I don't know about getting a fill or the needle inserted in or around my sternum. (shivers thinking about that) Maybe it's not that bad.

Thanks, Jenn. He actually says its less painful as there's less nerve endings there....but it is kinda creepy to think about. Dimitri brought up a good point about CPR...a very good point. Hadn't thought about that! And, yes, he does know what he is doing. His credentials are amazing - he is the one people go to to get a second opinion, lol! He is on the team of world-class surgeons that went to DC last year to get the FDA to lower the BMI for LapBands. Thanks for taking the time to reply!