Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

?? about protein powder and side effects

I'm beginning my 2nd week of pre-op liquid diet with Protein Shakes and Soups and i'm wondering if the Protein Powder makes you constipated. I thought beginning this two week journey that it would be like the old saying "liquid in, liquid out" but it's not the case. I pee all day long with all the liquids i'm drinking but not a whole lot is happening for the other. One week down and one to go and I can't wait :rolleyes: . Thanks for any responses!!

Protein can make you gassy and bloated but I've never heard of it causing Constipation. Remember that you are eating much less than before so you're going to 'go' less. Try to make sure you're getting in at least 25g of Fiber a day. It can help keep things moving.

I buy a big bottle of flavorless benefiber from costco. Preband I added a couple teaspoons to my shakes. Post band I put it in broths, Soups, mushies. Now that I'm healed I put it in my Breakfast yoghurt everyday. I also take a couple fiber gummies usually two at breakfast and 2 with my night pills.< /p>

The Muscle Milk is Lactose free, so,,, no problem on this end.

It probably wount "cause" consipation but its the other foods your'e not eating that is the problem. No fruit, no vegies, no wholegrains - Constipation is almost sure to occur.

Protein powders make my tummy blow up like a 6 month pregnancy and produce absolutely foul gas if I have more than one shake in a day (like on preop). The odd Protein Shake will also give me bad smelling gas, but not painful bloating.. I avoid them completely and luckily I never had to do a preop diet, I've only ever tried Proteins shakes out of curiosity as they dont really fit my idea of healthy eating.

I'm not sure about getting your Protein threw shakes or not. ( IT ALL STILL ADDS UP !) I do know that to much Protein is hard on the Kidneys. I was taking someone in my family to her Kidney Dr. , When he told her remember watch your protein,,, it's hard on the Kidney. So,,, I asked him What about someone like me who doesn't have any Kidney problems, and I try to get in my protein daily???? He said be careful !!!!! In the long run it can mess your Kidneys. Depends on you, and how much you take in daily. The Atkins diet will eventually kill you he said. Not long after, Richard Atkins died. So,,,, I try to be careful, and my blood work is good.

Now my Surgeon never said squat about possible Kidney Problems, and yet we are suppose to keep getting this in daily. Well for me,, I backed of a little. If I get 60G one day, I might take in 40+ the next day, then 50 the day after.

Then start again

Just something to think about.