Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

I was banded on 2/22/10. I ate very little and felt fine. Things were great until my 2nd fill on May 13th. I thought eating practically nothing was normal with the band. I barely ate and even the slightest bit of overeating would cause vomiting and extreme pain. I let this go on until August when I had an appointment to see the doc. I was losing tons of weight so I didn’t want to stop that part but I suffered in the end. He took some Fluid out in August and said that my pouch was dilated and we needed to keep an eye on it. I went back in October, same issue. He took more fluid out and wanted to see me in November. I stopped losing at this point and gained 5lbs. In November I had an upper gi and they thought it seemed to be ok. I went back on January 27th and that’s when he decided I needed surgery asap! The band slipped all the way down. I had surgery on 2/8. They removed the old band and put a new one along with repairing a hiatal hernia. I was in extreme pain from the gas for 3-4 days last week and didn’t really eat much until this past Monday. Starting Monday I was able to eat a lot more. I am starving all the time and am eating fish and veggies with no problem at all. I am not going to have any meat , bread or Pasta because I don’t want to gain any weight but I am wondering why I have a huge appetite and can eat normal compared to the first time I had the band put in.

Can anyone share their thoughts or experience being banded for the second time??? Please help!

Maybe it's because the new band isn't filled at all? Can I be nosy and ask if your insurance covered this? How do you suppose it slipped? I thought that since they sutured your stomach around the band that basically that should hold it in place?

Mattie, a slip generally means that the stomach has come UP through the band, not that the band has slid down over the stomach.

Was your first band the same size as this one? The placement might have been a little different, that could explain the change in appetite. Also, sometimes the surgeon puts in some fill at the time of surgery, he might have left it empty this time to give you time to heal.

The new band has 3cc in it. I have a johnson & johnson band, same as the last one. The doc asked me to go to the ER and complain about pain in order for them to take me right away. As soon as they did an xray they saw the band had slipped and booked my surgery that night. He didnt want to have to wait and go through insurance. I called and my insurance covers it because I went through the ER so as of now, I am ok but a little worried about the bills that will be coming.

Cocoabean - Yes, you are correct. The stomach went up through the band and expanded. The only thing different is that he said he put it higher up this time and put extra sutures.

I want to find out if eating more is normal with the second surgery for some reason. I dont even feel like I have the band at all.

It sounds like the first band had problems from the beginning....so no wonder you couldn't eat very much.

The new band is probably in the right place, but may need more of a fill for you to not feel as hungry.

I'm so glad everything went well for you!! Take it easy and you'll be contiuning your loss in no time.

Angie, I'm sticking with my theory that the new placement site is the difference. :rolleyes: It will be an interesting question to ask your doctor. I am betting it feels nice to be able to eat without pain, but scary as well for fear of regain. Insurance companies do pay for life-threatening complications. I'd think a slip that severe qualifies, but I am no expert. I'd be concerned as well. I does sound as though your surgeon has had experience with insurance and going the ER route. That might have been very wise.

Keep us posted as to how you are doing!!

I have had the same problem! First time around I wasn't hungry after surgery and now I could eat everything! At least I try to work out 6 days a week but its still tough when I know that nothing is getting stuck going down and I'm hungry! Come on next Friday for my first "refill"