Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I just got word that now I have to do a 6 months Physician-Supervised Weight Loss Program.. Which my WLSC doesnt even provide I have to go to my regular family practice to do. I just feel like all my hope and hard work to get this approved has gone down the drain.. I'm scared if I do lose weight during the 6 months I wont be approve because Insurance will think I can do it by myself.. Has anyone else had to do the 6 month supervised diet? I feel like 6 months is such a long time to wait to have surgery. Why can't it be 3 months?

So I just got word that now I have to do a 6 months Physician-Supervised Weight Loss Program.. Which my WLSC doesnt even provide I have to go to my regular family practice to do. I just feel like all my hope and hard work to get this approved has gone down the drain.. I'm scared if I do lose weight during the 6 months I wont be approve because Insurance will think I can do it by myself.. Has anyone else had to do the 6 month supervised diet? I feel like 6 months is such a long time to wait to have surgery. Why can't it be 3 months?

Hi Mewizza...I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. I have Cigna and was so upset when I found out they required a 6 month supervised diet program. I just finished my last appt on Jan 4th and am still jumping through insurance hoops to get approved. The good news is the 6 months flew by and it gave me a lot of time to mentally prepare for the surgery. I've learned so much in these past few months that I'm almost grateful for the time. Don't get me wrong, if they had said you can get surgery tomorrow I would have done it! Good luck with everything. Just stick with it and hopefully things will work out!

Keep your chin up! I spent 8 months doing everything to get approved only to be told I had to wait another 8 months! I was crushed as well and totally understand how you are feeling right now. My 8 months passed quickly and my time is finally here. Just waiting for the call to confirm it's approved and schedule a date! I hope your 6 months goes quick for you ( I know it will be here before you know it!)

:-)

I'm scared do they want me to lose weight or do they not want me to lose weight during the 6 months.. If I lose some of the weight will I still get approve?

Hi, I saw you are in Kansis City--if you are willing to travel to STL, the best surgeon there does the supervised diets in house for $20/visit. They got the insurance stuff mastered. Maybe they'd allow just phone in's instead of weekly trips there--

It's a stall tactic. They are betting on that most people will give up, not go through with the headache of the supervised diet, and regular visits to the MD with co-pays to pay, etc. Nationwide they pay for a lot less surgeries as a result. If you stick it out the 6 months (don't lose TOO much weight!) I think you will be fine--

I'm scared do they want me to lose weight or do they not want me to lose weight during the 6 months.. If I lose some of the weight will I still get approve?

Thank you, for letting me know.. I'm going to do the visit and what not.. I'm just afraid if I don't lose any weight they will say no, & if I lose to much they will say no too.

I know, I would have the same concerns. Definitely ask your doctors office if they know about that. I have to think that it's in their best interest for you to GET the surgery, since that's how they make their money!

Thank you, for letting me know.. I'm going to do the visit and what not.. I'm just afraid if I don't lose any weight they will say no, & if I lose to much they will say no too.

They want proof that you have tried to lose weight under your doctors supervision for that amount of time. It's ridiculous and I lost 9lbs during my 6 months because I honestly didn't try......I knew if I lost too much I would be under a 40 BMI and I wouldn't get approved.

I am going on my 3rd month of the 6 month diet and have had a lot of questions, the surgeon & the entire office I have are amazing! They have put up with my millions of questions. So I'd like to share what I've learned for others that may be wondering and not getting the necessary feedback.

-Afraid of losing too much weight? This is not a concern for the surgery, if you end up under the 35-39 or 40+ BMI (depending on which scenario you are) that is not an issue! They want you to lose weight and show your commitment. The BMI that is required for surgery is based on the initial visit NOT the BMI after the visit. (Ex. If you go under a BMI of 35 or 40 (depending on your case) AFTER your initial visit, this is fine! You are showing that you can commit to losing weight)

-How much weight loss is expected during the diet? People on the 3 month diet (may depend upon insurance also) need to lose a minimum of 6 lbs and people on the 6 month diet need to lose a minimum of 10 lbs. This doesn't have to be in equal amounts per month.

Trust me...the 6 months seems like a long time, but use this time to educate yourself even more. Start discussing with trusted family & friends about what changes you are making and get their support and help them understand what you are going through and what the future holds. I was so upset at first about 6 months but now I've found it to be easy. Don't dwell on it :) I know it seems hard but seriously use this time to make minor, positive changes and it will be worth it!

(I don't work for the Dr's office or insurance company and if any of this info has been misinterpreted by me...I apologize, I'm trying to just help people out based on how I understood the information given.)

Its just a small step for the ultimate goal! You can do this! You've been bigger longer than 6months and you've survived that. Look at the big picture, it'll get you in the mindset to live with your band...

I also had to wait the 6 months. During that time i had to meet with the nutritionist 6 times, my GP 6 times and get the psych eval. I also met with the surgeon 4 times There were no requirements as how much i had to lose. (I didn't lose any). One of the resons for all of the hoops is to stop people who get the band on a whim. "Gee, its Thursday and my butt looks big, i think Ill get a lap band." I am aware of some people who were approved quicker depending on their insurance provider or their medical needs.

Hang in there. The time does fly past!

I agree, the 6 months allows you to grasp what you are wanting to do and helps confirm you are willing to commit yourself to the band. It sucks trying be patient though....I totally understand.