Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So Hungry It Hurts!!!!

Hi all, I had my surgery for my band on wed. the 8th. I was following doctors instructions on eating. only liquid and 2-3 Protein Shakes a day to keep my energy up no Water 15mins prior and an hour after but I am starving. I woke up on friday morning at home from being extremely hungry .today I decided to try mushies with my fingers crossed and they went down (bananas and strawberries with yogurt) if it wasnt for the cpnstant stitch in my side I would have eaten more. I have been walking as much as my body is allowing as well. I am just hungry all the time. I am consuming about how many calories that I was on my pre-op diet between 1000 and 1200 a day. no matter what I eat though I am just so hungry. did anyone else have this problem right after surgery? I kept reading how after surgery you have this great restriction for a short while but I think that only lasted till I got out of the hospital. I dont want to stress my band by eating things that are to hard but I am just so hungry. any insite would be great! thanks in advance.

Hi; I totally feel for you! I, too, was very hungry after my surgery and during the full liquid phase of my pre-op diet. I was cranky,emotional and starving but I stuck to the diet for fear of hurting myself or the pouch. I was concerned I might 'stretch' the pouch or eat too much and cause the band to slip. I'm not sure if these are valid fears but it helped me stay on track. I think if it wasn't for that I possibly would have cheated. I relied on Water & popsicles to get me through. I also relied on this website for support and strength as it was nice to know others were going through the same thing. It didn't make me feel any fuller but it was comforting! LOL I have moved on to the 'mushie' stage (I hate that name, it sounds yucky, I'm looking to find another name for that stage) and it is Soooooo much better! I feel more human again and MUCH fuller. I wish I had some advice to help you through this difficult time. Try to be strong and be careful not to stray too much from the doctors orders. It will be over soon and the sacrifice will be worth the reward! HANG IN THERE! :)

I was banded November 30th. I too experienced a lot of hunger after surgery. My doctor had me on a week of Clear Liquids and no Protein Shakes until the seventh day. Believe me I was a bit grumpy, it was VERY difficult. So I feel your pain. Adding the Protein shakes helped enormously but I won't see mushies until the 1st of January. It seems a lifetime away. I'm not sure why my doctor is conservative but I want to follow his plan and not mess anything up inside. I can't know what cheating will do to my pouch, band, etc. I am too afraid to risk it. I hope you can hang in there, know that others are going through the same thing.

I had surgery last Monday 12/6...and I am starving too! I am on clear liquids and carnation instant Breakfast w/ 1% milk. But it feels like it is not enough! I don't see the dr or nutritionist til next week 12/21. I keep thinking if I can get through the first week, I can finish out the 2nd week. The hunger pains HURT!!! I know they do, but sometimes for me its the smells of food that is a trigger...and I think to myself "It's all in my mind"...I am not hungry. I wish you luck on your journey!

Mandy

About 4 days into my band I was having the same problems. Just absolutely starving, belching non-stop, and just in what I could only describe as dieters hell.

I called my doc and he ok'd thicker Soups and soft stuff on that 5th day which helpd tremendously. His office confessed that not many people make the full 10 days on liquids with ease.

My suggestion for ANY situation you go through with your band is to.....Call your doctor's office. There are a lot of ins and outs to the band. Each person's body reacts differently. Ask questions all the time. You should never feel alone during this process. They know that the band works differently for each person so they expect you to call and ask silly questions.

Personally, I paid a lot of money for my surgery and I was going to get all the support I needed, even if I had to put his office on speed dial! So needless to say, my doctor's office knows me personally.

You might think that's a bad thing but it's not. I got all the information I needed and have had what I would consider a pretty problem free year and 3 months.

My doctor's office knows me so well that they have asked me several times to speak at their monthly informational seminars. This Saturday will be the next time I speak, probably in front of a ton of people.

This is probably the hardest and scariest time for you. You just had surgery. You are wondering if this is really going to work and now you are uncomfortable and freaking out. Don't worry. You'll get through it like we all did. Just keep on the board and on the phone with your doctor and you'll do great!

If someone told you they were not hungry the first month I would not believe it maybe a couple of days. Try drinking coffee it kills the hunger. I have anxiety so I aways drink Decaf. It really works. Now after first fill I REALLY did lose all hunger and have pretty much been that way for last 16 months, but starved for first month. Went to bed with my stomach growling. It does get so much better just hang in there. Time will go by fast.

Cheri