Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

effects from sinuses/allergies

does anyone out there feel more restriction when having a sinus or allergy problem.

symptoms of sinus infection started yesterday and today my band is prett snug. I can still get stuff down...but that perfect spot i've been feeling for the last two months is gone. also, I'm curious what meds the doc will put me on...usually a z-pack does the trick. hmmm...it will be curious to see!

Yes, I do feel tighter when I have sinus issues. I am on a steroid and antibiotic and am up 3 lbs. This happened last time too. As soon as the meds were out of my system the extra came right off.

I am on Cephtin 500mg 2x a day! Pretty strong stuff.

Good Luck.

Yes, I get tighter, too. Meds with guaifenesin (Mucinex, Robitussin, or their generic equivalents) help to loosen secretions a lot, and help with the problem.

Here is my experience with allergies/sinus infections via my 7 year old son. He has major dust mite allergies and gets a sinus infection way too easily. 3 years ago he had 5 antibiotic prescriptions in 4 months to try to get rid of the crap trapped in his sinuses. Finally his doctor said enough meds and had him start with the NeilMed Sinus Rinse. What a freakin lifesaver that has been. After months of useless antibiotics we finally got some physical relief of the problem and literally washed the infected gunk right out of his head. You literally wash out the nasty green mucus and clear the infection out. No nose blowing can get to where the rinse goes. Now when he starts with the snuffling, I go right to the rinse. He hasn't had an antibiotic for an infection in 3 years now.

To keep his allergies at bay, we rinse once a week as a preventative measure and do Veramyst nose spray. This is to mitigate the dust mites that you can't ever fight. If we don't keep ahead of them the mucus drains into his chest and makes him cough like mad.

Whay do I tell you this? If you know that you are prone to sinus infections and/or have allergies the NeilMed rinse is really a great product to use. I use it my self if I am feeling like my allergies are acting up or I have been around a ton of dust. If you live in a dry winter climate, the best thing you can do is keep your sinuses moist and this will get where no other nose spray can go. I promise if you use it often enough you will cut down on the amount or duration of sinus infections. The rinse is just a simple solution of sea salt and baking soda to make the Water a neutral ph so when you rinse it doesn't burn like pool Water.

Secondly, the day I had surgery three weeks ago, the awesome nurse I had told me to take some Claratin for nausea. Huh? I though she was nuts, but she said that people who have the band are more suseptable to stomach irritation from mucus draining down to their stomach for some reason. She said that people who don't even know they have post nasal drip from allergies find out the hard way. You can even throw up from the mucus. She had a friend who had a bypass a few years ago who was throwing up and in major pain. They thought the surgery went wrong so she was readmitted one week after surgery and had every test done to see what the cause was. After days of testing they finally told her she had allergies and major post nasal drip that was irritating her stomach so badly that she was throwing up tat much. She took antihistamines and was fine after that.

You can find the NeilMed Bottle and packets of rinse solution at most every drug store, Target, etc. It runs around $11.99. Google the company if you want to see what it's all about. I tell everyone who will listen because it really has made such a huge difference in my son's life. I swear I don't own stock in the company!!

I am def going to look into that! :thumbup: is is similair to the netti pot?

I am def going to look into that! :smile: is is similair to the netti pot?

Yes, but the major difference is that this is in a squeeze bottle and you don't have to roll your head around to get it to work. The pressure of the Water goes much further to get more stuff out of you and is much more effective. I could never understand how the Netti pot was that useful because there is no pressure or decent flow. There is less chance of you getting the Water trapped in your ears as well.

mdhannant-i went and got it! did my first nasal cleanse and don't feel much different, but I am excited to see if this helps. I really didn't want to go on another antibiotic! thanks for your suggestions :smile:

mdhannant-i went and got it! did my first nasal cleanse and don't feel much different, but I am excited to see if this helps. I really didn't want to go on another antibiotic! thanks for your suggestions :smile:

thank you so much for this tip. I have severe allergies to dust mites (IgE antibodies came back at 20x the normal limit). Shortly after starting full liquids abt 9 or 10 days post op my post nasal drip got really bad, and it was deep in my throat not something I can blow out or even hack up, whenever I blow my nose the pressure from doing so gives me a headache.

I think what may have made it act up initially is my much higher than usual dairy consumption. I do not like any Protein shakes, so have been eating fat free yogurt, milk, FF SF pudding, cottage cheese, creamed Soups, my entire diet is pretty much dairy which I have since read is a HUGE culprit for PND.

I also have an air purifier in my room, which I set to high every night, is has helped with the dust, but I can tell the humidity in the room is VERY low. SO I am thinking of getting a humidifier.

I am also sensitive to drugs and don't like taking too any antibiotics cuz yeast acts up, so I prefer natural. Thank you for telling me about neilmed, I am def going to try it. Tried the neti pot, and it works, but you are right it is annoying and takes practice to get your head just right, holding your head at the wrong angle it will come out your mouth haha.