Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July banders-work together

hey girls, I have been seeing several posts from people who were banded late July, I was banded July 30th and some of you are having a tough time or just seem like you need someone to talk to. It seems like we are all going through the same thing so I am not sure if this will work but starting a thread for us to talk about how we feel, what we are doing and what worked for us. Right now, I am still in discomfort, it comes and go's throughout the day, I had a rough morning but just woke up from a nap and feeling better. I have alot of gas pain today and having a hard time getting down my liquids and Protein. I am starting to get hungry today as well and already tired of Soup and Protein Drinks. I feel like if I just had something more with substance It would be better but than again I dont want the pain that will come with it when I still have issues with liquids. I am trying to give it time cause I know it will be better in a week or 2 or maybe even a couple more days. I did take a walk up the block this morning and drank some broth but after that I felt bad and got alot of pressure and gas pain so Im still trying to figure out what the heck Im doing here!! Alright ladies ( and gentlemen) just thought it might help to start here....

Hi, I had mine done on 7-21-10. I am still on liquids. I felt hungry to and still do sometimes. It does get better. I felt cheated because I couldn't eat. I thought I hated food but now relize I love food. I am so tired of liquids. I tried to eat eggs and boy did I pay for it. I was in pain for 9 hours. I just wish I was more savy with making protien taste good! I'm boring with food. Good luck to us all!!

I was banded on July 27 & I am back to work as of August 2.I'm dealing with the gas pains but I too am tired of the Soup & Protein drinks.I'm just looking at it as another mile stone.By the end of the week, I'll be on Mushies...YAYYYYY.Stay strong & stay focused.You'll be fine

thanks girls, call me a wimp but Im tired of this gas and heavy chest feeling. It almost makes me want to stop drinking at all because its like everytime I drink or eat some Soup or take my meds its all heavy in my chest and I get even more gas..and am so uncomfortable..maybe its something I am eating or drinking or maybe too cold or too hot...

Got banded 7/26. 8 days post op and now I'm feeling excrutiating shoulder pains. I thought thiswassupposed to happen within the first week. All else OK. I'm back at work. Getting Protein down is hard. Also I'm starting to actually get hungry, which makes me nervous.

I'm not a lady, but I'd like to join your group! LOL I was banded on Friday, July 30th and I feel the same way you do! I have been second guessing my decision to have this ever since I woke up!

weight.png

Hi everyone, I was banded on July 15th so a little earlier than the most of you but just wanted to say it gets so much better. At about day 7 I felt like "me" again. I wanted to eat and was allowed foods as long as I could pour them.

My recommendation is to make sure that you avoid all dairy.. That is any cream Soups and shakes that have milk in them. That made my gas very very bad even at day 5 and 6. Check your Protein Drinks also alot of them have dairy products in them.

Good luck, I have my post op visit on Thursday at 3 weeks out and my first fill on August 25th unless I can talk them into doing it earlier.

Greetings to all the July bandsters, I was banded July 28th, and was a little worried at first, but each day it gets better. I am now cooking for my family and enjoying the smells and happy faces, and convincing myself to be satisfied with the Protein drinks and Water. I too, had a difficult time getting in all the water and protein, until my dr. reminded me if I didn't I would end up back in the hospital for dehydration. We can do this, just take it one day at a time, and becoming more active to take your mind off of food and the time, and before we know it, mushy city here we come. Wishing all of us the best.

Hi, I was banded 7/27/10 i was feeling pretty down and thinking this isnt worth it. (I'm craving crispy fresh lettuce salad like crazy.) Untill I weighed myself well well well 10lb in one week pretty good huh?

Hi!! I was banded on 7/30 and today was the first day I have been out of bed! I go back to work in the morning and I am so scared I will end up laying on the floor of my office trying to get the gas pain to go away! I am also to the point that I am afraid to even drink anything because its stopped and i am enjoying the rest! I hope we can all help each other threw this! We have a lot of weight to lose in the coming days, it would be great to do it together!!

OMG - I look at how some people are still in a ton of pain and I feel lucky! I still have the heavy chest where it's uncomfortable to breathe deep, and I am still gassy, but NOTHING compared to that first night. I think that staying up and cleaning for an hour or so at a time that first night saved me!

I went to my Auntie's memorial on 8/1 and did pretty well...It was a long car ride and I was able to stay for about 2 hrs.

Today is my first day back to work, but I am a programmer and work from home, so it's not a stretch. I took a nap during lunch. It's hard to focus, but just because I want to eat, not because I'm hungry.

Naps are heavenly right now cuz you don't think about food!

I can't wait to get to mushies! Mashed potatoes? YUM! Overcooked broccoli - who would have thought I'd crave it?!?!

I'm already very tired of the liquids. I started them 2 days prior to being banded, so it's been a week for me. I don't feel 'hungry' so much as just really have the desire to consume something with some consistency! So, obviously it's psychological.

I've been using the Amplify Protein shake mix...I had vanilla which I liked (and accidentally returned instead of a different flavor), chocolate and Cookies & cream (the one I meant to return). I threw a peach into the vanilla (pre op) and it was quite good. The chocolate is OK though I tried to do to much with it. The Cookies and cream is good by itself. I blend them with milk so I get the extra Protein and Calcium from the milk too. 1 srv = 20 g protein & 5 carbs.

I'm 'juicing' too...something new to me. Today I juiced about 1 cup of spinnich, 2 carrots, 1/3 cucumber, 1 pear & 1 green apple. It made a large cup of juice and I threw some of that Fibersure stuff in it to get some extra Fiber. I figure this is a good way to get extra nutrients till I can eat veggies again.

I've also been throwing some unflavored Protein powder in my Soups. I found it at a health food store called Lassens. There's 15 g of protein in 1/4 cup. You just have to stir it pretty good cuz it will form some lumps...I keep telling myself 'it's miso soup'. You know how miso Soup has floaties? That's what I'm going with...

My stomach just growled...

Has anyone noticed that the signals you get from your tummy aren't what they used to be? I've gotten one a couple of times and have thought - is that a 'stuffed' signal or a 'feed me' signal...I guess they are just mild cramps, but I had to think about them...

Oh! One other thing - if you value your hair and don't want to lose a ton of it, get your Protein, Calcium and B Complex Vitamins in!

I know of folks who have lost hair after having the gastric sleeve or bypass and was told by the nutritionist that it was due to their inability to absorb as many vitamins/minerals. This made sense...but I was confused why this ALSO happened to a person I know who got banded...She had GLORIOUS hair and lost A LOT of it and it's just not that healthy anymore...I found out that she is TERRIBLE with her diet...she doesn't get in hardly any Protein, doesn't eat veggies, rarely eats solids (she was banded in Dec, had complications and couldn't get her first fill till Mar), etc. She's just NOT getting her nutrients in and although she is losing weight, she losing her hair too. She's lost 55 lbs so far, but that hair of hers is no longer amazing...

My hair is one of my attributes that people know me for (not that it's super amazing, but it's long and it just happens to be what people think of when they think of me), so I do NOT want it falling out if I can help it. I'm using Bosley defense Shampoo & conditioner and then trying my damndest to get my nutrients in.

I'm taking liquid multi vits & a liquid B Complex.

Just thought I'd warn you all...I didn't realize that this could be an issue till shortly before I was banded and then I nearly freaked out.

I was banded on 7/22. I felt fine after the surgery, went home about 2 hours after I woke up. I got home and the gas in my shoulder about killed me. I injured that same should about 2 years ago and now all of that pain has come back. My largest incision has been hurting and itching for the last couple of days and I'm not sure if thats a cause for concern or not. I am having a really hard time with the liquids. I have never drank alot so this in really a challenge for me. My family LOVES to eat really good meals and have always depended on me to make them and now everyone in my house is miserable, because if I have to eat Soup EVERYBODY has to eat soup. I got hungry around day 8 and just wanted some chicken! It has been hard to make so many lifestyle changes and I'm not sure that I was ready. I am an emotional eater and have been going thru some things with my husband and its hard to not be able to turn to food to make myself feel better. I started back exercising on day 4 and by day 9 I had lost 10 pounds since surgery!! I was so excited until for the last 3 days I haven't lost any.... What's up with that? I'm taking in probably 400 calories a day and doing 2 miles on the treadmil a day. I'm confused and it makes me want to give up already. I am so happy to have this site to give me some encouragement!! Good luck to everyone.

I hear ya, Stefani - It's hard to watch the fam eat...I made homemade spaghetti sauce right before I went liquid so that my hubs could make himself something 'easy'. I made dinner for him last night...chicken...and am planning on bbq'ing a steak for him tonight, but I'm not entirely sure I can bbq it and hand it over vs beat him to death with it. He's not asking me to do any of this...I'm just torturing myself...but I'm trying to be nice while I can cuz I know the beast is rising and I need the brownie points when it comes - hahahaha!

My largest incision is a little sore, but isn't itching...Did you get stitched, stapled or glued? I've been glued...It's hard not to play with the incisions. I'm like a little kid futzing with a scab except that I stop myself from actually picking.

10 lbs is excellent! I think that it's probably good not to weigh yourself every day just because you end up feeling let down, but who am I kidding? I'm one of those 'wake up, weigh, pee, weigh, shower, weigh, dry hair after shower, weigh' cuz it's fun to see the difference. Pure torture at times though. Try not to be disappointed that you plateaued for a few days. It'll start again.

Thanks Lisa for your encouragement! It was much needed. I'm not sure if I'm just imagining things but its seems that I am extremly sensitive and will get all emotional at the drop of a hat! Anyone else? To answer your question Lisa I was glued and I'm sick of looking at the dingy glue around my incisions and wish it would just go away already. I was told that I have a virus called H-pylori right before I was rolled into surgery, that should up on my blood work. Anyone else have this? I have to take 8 pills (antibiotics)a day for 2 weeks and it sucks. Oh did anyone else have hital hernia? I did. With all that was going on with me I am surprised that I felt so good so quickly. I have only told my husband,mom,dad,sister and neice about me having the surgery because most of my family is overweight and are VERY judgemental and I just didn't want to deal with that. Heck, even my parents (who are overweight) are being judgemental but somewhat understanding and I would not have told them if I didn't need them to keep my daughter while I had the surgery. Once again I am so happy that I have this site, because I don't know anyone else who has the lapband so they don't understand, but I know everyone here does and we are all here to help/support each other.:blushing:

Edited by stefaniwg