Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back from Dr. Appt - EMPTY BAND!

Penni60

OK just got home from seeing Dennis at Dr. Billy's office. He removed all my fill with the exception of .5cc that always remains in the tubing. SO I am empty now. Nope no fill for me.

Then they sent me to have an upper GI. I was shocked they wanted me to have it done today. I was equally shocked I was worked in so fast. ANyway I drank that horrible stuff and rolled and tossed on the table while the doc looked at my innards. He showed me the pictures and he said it all looks fine. It doesn't appear I have either a slip or erosion but then again he wasn't my band doc. So Billy gets back in town on Monday and he will review my results and if I need the endo still I have it scheduled for the 6th at 7:30am. Pray I can cancel that appt.

Will keep you posted.

Dennis said that we will start fresh with the fills after the results from my tests.

I am scared to death knowing I don't have ANY fill right now. I mean petrified. HELP!!!!

Oh Penni thats great news!!!!

I hear ya on the no fill as thats where I am right now and I can eat a horse, or as Ray says, 1/2 a horse LOL !!!! Its very hard not to eat everything but I'm trying to fill myself on Water and hot Soups, coffee, diet hot chocolate. The hot stuff takes the edge off.

When would your fills start again?

HANG ON !!!

Just remember, you've come too far to undo all that you have done already. When they unfilled me due to slippage. I waited until the day BEFORE my repair surgery to go to the local burger joint. Then, I had a child's burger, fries and small drink. I thought I was in heaven, but only once in the 30 days I waited. Otherwise, my first thought was burgers, fries and shakes. lol. YOU CAN DO IT!! YOU'VE BEEN DOING IT ALL ALONG!!

Penni, sorry ot hear you lost your fill, but better to be on the safe side...you will do just fine, you can do this and besides it wont be too long with NO fill.

I'm proud of you for going in an having an endo, you are doing the right thing . Iwill be praying for you that all your tests come out negative

I'm starting to think that a total unfill may be a good idea for bandsters who are 2 or so years out, you know? I hear time and time again the people hit a point where they a) are eating more because they CAN, and :D are experiencing reflux or other negative symptoms, partly because of a). I think we reach a point where the bottom part of our esophagus starts to relax due to the constantly increased pressure, which allows us to eat more without feeling the stop signals, but which also causes heartburn and reflux.

Taking out the fill gives the lower esophagus a chance to relax, heal, and rest. And really--if you have a little faith that some of what you have learned about eating differently while being banded will STICK, it WILL. During my total unfill this summer I put on 7 lbs, but that was while I was on vacation with my family and over Labor Day, I expected at least that much. When I got back to basics the pounds came right back off.

Look at this time as a healing phase, and it can only be good for you. I also often hear that after an unfill it takes only a tiny little added saline to produce the same restriction as was felt before. Don't worry! Everything will work out, especially now that you have that all-important clean bill of band health. :)

Penni -

could you do just one small favor for me while you are in this state of "grace"?

Please?

eat a big, juicy, LOADED hamburger... and think of me. :D Thanks.

I'm starting to think that a total unfill may be a good idea for bandsters who are 2 or so years out, you know?

I agree with this, when I had bowel obstruction I was at 2.5 cc's.. I was unfilled for 2 months and when I went to get filled again I could only go to 1.5 cc's ans was there for 4 months and lsoing and it was better restriction then I had at 2.5 cc's. I asked Dr. Martinez about this and he told me many bandsters who are unfilled do not go right back to their fill level due to things shifting , esophagus healing etc....he said he sees better restriction in patients who were unfilled and re filled to a lower ammount. It was definately true for me

Penni -

could you do just one small favor for me while you are in this state of "grace"?

Please?

eat a big, juicy, LOADED hamburger... and think of me. :D Thanks.

I'll have a subway! Ahhhhhh, the fresh hot bread! :):DB)

Dennis and I discussed whether to unfill completely or just a partial but we both came to the same conclusion that a complete unfill was warranted. I had a really bad PB the night before and was barely able to get liquids down. SO I think that giving your esophagus a rest like this is warranted. Also I agree with Alexandra about a year or more bandsters should consider getting an unfill and resting the esophagus.

Mind you I am resisting temptation to eat a big ole juicy Wendy's TRIPLE cheeseburger with Fries and a LARGE Frosty. MMM MMM!!!!

It scares me to think that I could actually eat it right now. I am resisting and trying to think of alternatives to meal time foods. SIGH!!

Now I guess the work really begins HUH?

Thanks for all the encouragement and support. LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!

Penni, Glad your given it a rest and your all checked out!

Do not touch the burger!

Geeeze Alexandra

Your so smart

are experiencing reflux or other negative symptoms, partly because of a). I think we reach a point where the bottom part of our esophagus starts to relax due to the constantly increased pressure, which allows us to eat more without feeling the stop signals, but which also causes heartburn and reflux.
I'm on Preacid everyday since Sept, I just deal with it.

I do feel the stop signals though and have kept saying I'm at the sweet spot, but it does hurt sometimes.

Take good care of your band, stay on the straight and narrow road with your eating, and enjoy the rest your unfill has given you. And keep us posted!!!!