Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Consult done today

I had my first consult today. I had contacted www.weightlosscenters.com and found out there is a location in my area. It wasn't bad, except I waited for a LONG time!

There was about 20 pages to fill out, then the surgeon came out and discussed the procedure with us in the waiting room. We then did our height and weight and were sent back into our own rooms.

From there, I waited about an hour until the surgeon came in and talked to me. The night before I had written out a list of questions, health issues, medications, and previous diets to bring up when speaking to the surgeon. I froze and didn't really ask a whole lot of questions (I do this alot and then think of everything after I miss my chance).

After he left, I waited about another 30 minutes until the consultant came in. She was very nice, however I have learned to be skeptical of ALL information given to me by anyone! I do my own research.

The consultant told me my PPO insurance (Anthem Blue Cross) would only pay for $380 of the procedure and I would have to travel about 2-3 hours away to have the procedure done. I would have to pay between $1500 and $3000 out of pocket. She suggested I change my plan to something that would allow for more financial coverage of the procedure.

When I got home I looked at the different plans that are offered by my employer. Then, I noticed that the out-of-network fees for all of the plans are $380 max covered by insurance after I meet my deductible.

From what I've read on here, in-network surgical centers are covered by insurance (and a large portion of the fee is covered). Of course I still plan to follow up with getting all of the information needed for this place (since I'm not really insurance-savvy and don't know if my assumption is correct), but I'm also going to get information from another place.

If I don't find anything that won't require a large out-of-pocket expense, my journey will have to take a break until I'm able to afford it. I'm crossing my fingers it will all work out though!

I just recently went through being approved and the surgery, and you're right - there are a lot of decisions to make about who you are choosing to care for you as well as the financial impact of the options. I have Anthem BC/BS and they pay $0 for out of network. I ended up finding a doctor that was in-network because I wanted to get maximum benefits. Turns out I work with someone who went to this surgeon so it increased my confidence. I found a win-win with the financial option and the quality of care.

I've seen a few posts about patients having to wait in their doctor's office for an hour or more. I really don't understand that and I personally would be concerned. One of the reasons I chose my doctor was because they treat me like an individual - not a number. This is a major event in my life and I didn't want to be treated like I was in a cattle-call.

I wish you the best. You will find the right solution; it make take a little work but it will be worth it!

I am so lucky that I found my doctors office. They are wonderful.

The doctors are out-of-network but they only take in-network- fees. Meaning they don't back bill. They accept whatever my insurance gives them.

Also the longest that I've ever had to wait was 30 minutes. And the doctors themselves are so down to earth. I always look foward to going there.

I don't have any insurance, so I can't offer any help there.

That office sounds like they are herding cattle. I would go check out another place for sure.

Now that I think about it, it was a little like herding cattle! I wasn't really bugged by it, except that my room was very bright and white and the chair was uncomfortable.

How was everyone's first consult? Does it compare to my experience?

I guess I was expecting everything to be very individualized and not in a group setting, but I wasn't uncomfortable with the initial group setting. My consultant said she was going to email me yesterday but I haven't received an email yet. I wouldn't really expect her to email me on a Sunday, but she said she would.

Today my job is to call the center in Marina Del Rey (where the surgery would take place if I go through them) and get the cost I would have to pay. Even though I'm not to sure about this place, I still want to get a price so I can compare to other places.

Have a good day everyone!

I had my original consult on 6/30. The initial information session was in a group, but I was told that beforehand. I did feel that my wait was a little lengthy, but I went with someone, so I had company. After waiting in the waiting room we went to a conference (group of about 15) and the doctor talked with us about our bariatric options. We then waited as she took us back individually to answer any questions we had. We were able to leave after our one-on-one consultation. So it was fine if you were one of the first called back, a little lengthy if you were second to last (as I was!) I also have Anthem. From what I understand they are paying for everything except for the co-pay. My doctor is in-network. It's actually through the St.Vincent Bariatric Center of Excellence. Thus far, I'm satisfied. We will see...

Best of luck to you!!! Look forward to hearing more of your journey.