Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am pretty sure I'm going to have to do self pay, and I was wondering what the experience is like for others who have done the same? I have information on a few different finance companies but I havent called for preapproval because I am scared they will tell me no (silly, I know)

I have decent/good credit and a great job but I've only been at the job for a few months so I'm a little worried that will hinder me. I also have this fear that I will finance this and then something will go wrong... I wonder if insurance would pay if I had a complication, especially if it was something life threatening? Anyone have any experiences with something like that? I know if all else fails I can save up but it would prob take at least a year to save up that much money and I am ready to do it NOW haha

I know that had I been self pay (cash pay) that my total cost including hospital would have been $10,000 and that I would have gotten that total in writing. I ended up going with my insurance and so the hospital really went wild and ended up billing BCBS about $39,000 (not including the doctors fee). When I called them and asked how it could have possibly been a total of $10,000 cash pay and then $39,000 with insurance. I had zero complications and was there less than 1 day. The hospital told me that they would have given me something in advance on agreeing to the total payment if I was cash pay. So, please, please, please get something in writing. Sometimes I think I should have gone the cash pay route because with all of my costs even with insurance ended up being about $10,000.

Good luck!

I paid $13,000 total and I got it in writing. The positives are that you get through the process quickly (I saw the surgeon on June 4th and had surgery on June 28th), you get to shop around for the best surgeon and hospital (you aren't forced to go to a not so experienced surgeon chosen by your medical group). I have Aetna HMO which requires 40+ BMI for several years or comorbidities. I don't have any comorbidities and I have been at 40 for 1 year but 200+ lbs for 5+ years. I just didn't want to wait any longer and gain any more. There was a whole year long process that my medical group required before they would even submit for approval. This included a diet which I know I would lose weight over the short term and they would use that to deny me. I am changing jobs which will have Kaiser insurance and I already called them and was told that if I have complications they will be covered because they cover WLS and cover pre existing conditions. There is also insurance you can buy called BLISS that will cover complications. Your surgeon's office should be able to give you information. They told me that I didn't need it because I have Aetna which covers WLS and therefore complications even if I didn't use it for the original surgery. Also, the surgeon will probably have information about financing programs. I personally charged mine to two different cards and will pay them off with my savings. That way I get points on my cards. They had no problem doing it that way. Good luck. When you think of what we pay for a car, this is a bargain and a better investment in the long run.

You know, I was thinking about what the costs would be after copays and everything-prob not a pretty sight! not to mention the extra steps I would have to take as far as past history and psych evals and all of those lovely things... And its also funny that you make the mention to the cost of the car, to Celebrate graduating college and getting my new fabulous job I was planning on getting a brand new car. (not that anything is wrong with my car now) Well if I just DONT get the car, and instead get the surgery, I think the end result will be much better-less chance of dying before I get to meet my grandkids:) I'm only 24, so I know that losing all of this weight NOW will greatly improve my quallity of life, and I've been yo-yoing since I was 17 with the end result of being bigger now than I've ever been.

who was your doctor, hospital, and when did you have the surgery?

OK so care credit bases your approval totally on your credit score. They will ask you how much you make and if you own your house and how long have you lived there. If you have a credit score above 600 you should be ok.

We used care credit and the process was CRAZY fast. Due to my age and overall good health, (and being self pay), I only did 4 days of pre op diet. I had my first Dr appt last wed, june 23, and was banded monday, june 28.

Our out of pocket is 12,000. That includes access to the doctor for 3 months (fills, checkups), and the nutritionist for 1 year.

Here is how we looked at it. I dont have a car payment, I dont have student loans, and I dont have any other large debt. This was my one time to invest in myself.

It is a heck of alot of money and my hand was shaking when I signed the sales reciept, but I feel good about it and, so far, wouldnt change it.

Dont do anything you are not comfortable with but also know that there are benefits to being self pay. You will feel more in control. And there is nothing like a $12,000 investment to give you some motivation!!!:)

OK so care credit bases your approval totally on your credit score. They will ask you how much you make and if you own your house and how long have you lived there. If you have a credit score above 600 you should be ok.

We used care credit and the process was CRAZY fast. Due to my age and overall good health, (and being self pay), I only did 4 days of pre op diet. I had my first Dr appt last wed, june 23, and was banded monday, june 28.

Our out of pocket is 12,000. That includes access to the doctor for 3 months (fills, checkups), and the nutritionist for 1 year.

Here is how we looked at it. I dont have a car payment, I dont have student loans, and I dont have any other large debt. This was my one time to invest in myself.

It is a heck of alot of money and my hand was shaking when I signed the sales reciept, but I feel good about it and, so far, wouldnt change it.

Dont do anything you are not comfortable with but also know that there are benefits to being self pay. You will feel more in control. And there is nothing like a $12,000 investment to give you some motivation!!!:)

sorry if this is too personal but how much are you paying per month? My credit score is well above 600 so that makes me feel a lot better:) thank you for that info. my doctor is gonna charge a little more than that but I have some of it charged up, and he said it includes 9 fills per year (I'm not sure for how many years tho) and good point about the investment:) but I really do think that there is NO PRICE on your health, and even if it was twice that much I'd be willing if it meant I get to live longer, and healthier (and not starve the entire time, haha)

I was also a self pay, but luckily managed to borrow the money from family and friends.

One small advantage to being a self pay over having insurance is that you are much less likely to cheat on any of the rules that your doctor sets for you.

When you spend this much money on something you'll do whatever it takes to make it work

I dont mind the question! My husband and I are self employed. We make pretty good money but out of a 12 month period we usually have 3 or 4 really tight months. For that reason we financed it on the longest plan. We did 5 years (60 months) and our payment will be about $280 a month. We will have it paid off in less than 24 months, (hopefully 18 months). We always like to keep our monthly obligations low so we can make it during the "broke" months, and then we just throw extra on it during the $money$ months.

you should also know that if you use care credit, your dr's office will be the one who offers the payment plan. They are the ones who determine if you can choose 18, 24, 36, 48, or 60 month plans. My doctor did not offer any of the intrest free plans, but some do.

Lastly, if you go to carecredit.com they have a tool(on their homepage) where you enter your est. surgery amount and they show you what your est payment will be depending on the # of months you choose.

GOOD LUCK!!:tt1:

I will be self-pay and started a thread awhile back about the "extras" I have encountered. Luckily my insurance covers quite a bit of the diagnostics once I have the deductible paid. Maybe to do with my age (55) but my surgeon covers all bases with pre-requisite testing. I have 3 more procedures to go, a couple scheduled 2 or 3 weeks away, so it's not been any quicker for me being self-pay.

Here's what I have to do before I get a surgery date:

sleep study for suspected apnea

Abdominal ultrasound (done)

Chest Xray (done)

EKG, Pulmonary function test, pulse oximetry

EGD outpatient (upper endoscopy for acid reflux related symptoms) (done)

Blood and lab work-up (done)

Internal/Family Physician written consultation and clearance. (done)

I almost forgot the shrink visit, haven't done that yet either. I also had a surprise colonoscopy the day after my endoscopy due to my blood work showing low Iron.

Edited by Sooz
adding my list

Thanks for all the info! I usually try to get my montly payment as low as possible too, so I can have lots of wiggle room:) it seems like the smart thing to do to me.

And according to my doctor, his quote includes 'EVERYTHING' including all testing fees hospital fees and up to 9 fills a year after the surgery.... but this is just the info I've gotten via email, I havent gone in for a consult yet because I am still researching and dont plan to do surgery until the first of the year (just started new job, dont have any leave until oct or so)

I was actually banded on july 6th. I was a self-pay through carecredit.

The total cost with my doctor is $12000 which includes 1 year of follow-ups and fills.

Carecredit actually offers interest free payment plans so I went with an 18 month interest free option.

My insurance covered all of the testing I had done prior to the surgery, so that's great. :)

I am wondering if they will cover any emergencies that may happen. Does anyone know if they will pay for the removal of the band if something happens? I am not planning to have it removed in case anybody's wondering :smile:

The approval through carecredit was crazy fast. They approved me in less than 1 hour. All it took is their online application and one phone call.

Hello! I am selfpay and my surgery is scheduled on July 30th total cost of the surgery for me was 13,700. 3700 went to the surgeons and the rest was for the hospital. I borrowed from my 401k and got a couple thousand extra to help cover the fills and help if any emergency's came about. My insurance is United Healthcare. they did pay for all my pre op visits minus the copays and they paid for my bloodwork since I asked my dr to code it in a way they would cover. Im a little worried about any additional expenses that might "creep" in after surgery but hopefully everything will go smooth and I wont have any problems. Im prepared to pay for the fills but other than that I shouldnt have any other expenses!!

Hi there

Where are you from?

I am from canada and as far as i know we are all self paid here.

In Alberta, health care is free so i am ok that way. My cost for the program is $16,000 and covers as many fills as i like and all tests, seminars etc for 4 yrs. I am getting it done in Toronto on July 28

I am pretty sure I'm going to have to do self pay, and I was wondering what the experience is like for others who have done the same? I have information on a few different finance companies but I havent called for preapproval because I am scared they will tell me no (silly, I know)

I have decent/good credit and a great job but I've only been at the job for a few months so I'm a little worried that will hinder me. I also have this fear that I will finance this and then something will go wrong... I wonder if insurance would pay if I had a complication, especially if it was something life threatening? Anyone have any experiences with something like that? I know if all else fails I can save up but it would prob take at least a year to save up that much money and I am ready to do it NOW haha

I'm from the US...

It would seem like the govt insurance (its called medicare right?) would pay for the surgery, since in the end it would save money when you are not as sick as you get older... but I could say the same about my own insurance company! They would possibly cover it, but only at 30% and just by the numbers I have gotten so far from doctors I would be better off just paying for the whole thing myself. I havent made up my mind for sure yet though... I might run it through insurance just to see.