Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what is sliming and bping?

Sliming- when you've eaten enough or if you've eaten more than enough, you're body produces mucus like crazy (think of just before you throw up). I'm sure there's a more scientific explanation, but that's my take on it.

PBing- productive burping- happens when you eat too fast, don't chew well enough. You literaly feel like you are burping up food (and sometimes something will come up!) Very uncomfortable, and can be embarrassing if it happens in public.

Both are very good incentives for stopping when you are satisfied and for chewing well and eating slowly.

The reason we slime (from a science teacher's point of view): The mouth's job is to produce saliva and masticate (chew) the food for initial digestion before it proceeds to your esophagus, stomach and intestines for final digestion. When you eat with the LAP-BAND®, your food doesn't go as quickly to the final stages (stomach, intestines) because it's held in your band stomach until it passes through to your "real" stomach. As a result, your mouth kicks up the salivation notch because it still thinks you have food that needs to be pushed through and is simply doing it's job. The PROBLEM comes when you've eaten a little too much...you've got food hanging out in your band stomach and/or your esophagus, it hasn't or can't pass through to your "real" stomach because it is either temporarily blocked or hasn't had time to move yet...your mouth does it's job by producing more saliva...and that saliva has nowhere to go because it can't push through the food to your "real" stomach. End result? A mouthful of delicious (okay, not really) slime that looks a lot like saliva.

I sometimes get to the point where I'm sliming - you can either attempt to swallow it if you're out in public or driving, although the saliva has nowhere to go and you're going to continue sliming for a little while until your food can pass through your band stomach. If I'm at home or near a bathroom, I try to expel some of the saliva by spitting it out. When I spit it out, the food is also going through it's digestion through your band stomach...eventually the sliming stops and you're back to being all good!

JR, I have to disagree with you.

The mucus/Slime that we enjoy spitting up so much is NOT saliva. Saliva is produced in the mouth. Slime is produced by the esophagus.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches