Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for Post Banders

I am interested to know how you felt the day after surgery? Also interested in those who had a hernia repair at the same time.

I wanted to have some idea of what to expect. I scheduled my surgery for May and then that night I come home and my daughter brings me her paper that she has her dance recital the next day. I have to be there because part of the recital involves the mothers.

Any advice or tips?

Unfortunately, there's no way to foresee how you will feel post-op. We all have a slightly unique experience.

If you are still taking pain meds-- which you may want to do if you're going to try to go out-- you won't be able to drive, so be prepared for that.

My "day after" surgery wasn't too bad-- and I also had a hernia repair. I didn't feel great, but I could probably have sat and watched a recital.

You are likely to be having pain from gas and may feel the need to get up and walk around (maybe sit on an aisle?)

I'm in Louisville as well. I had mine with Louisville Bariatric at St. Mary's and I had a hernia repair. I went shopping at target on the way home from the hospital. I had to take my alleve and gasx regularly but mostly was uncomfortable from the gas. The day after was much much better. I know every person is different, but so far I've had little discomfort at all.

Thanks for the responses. I am the type of person that expects the worst and hopes for the best. This time I just want to see if I have a chance to go to my daughters 1st dance recital. Crazy I know. I also know everyone is different I just wanted to get a feel for a variety of possibilities. Again, crazy I know.

It wasn't too bad until I started to feel like I got hit by a bus. I had my surgery Wednesday, and I'm feeling pretty good today. The worse thing was getting in and out of bed, bending down, and trying to sit on the potty. Many people are saying that their gas pains are the worse, but mine really aren't that bad. They come and go and they are annoying. The only thing that really hurts is the biggest incision that my doctor made. Sometimes it feels like ripping or tearing inside.

Hi Angie: I for one did not foresee feeling so lousy. Pain and nausea...it was pretty intense the first night home. I did not stay over night at the hospital and I did not have pain meds. and as someone pointed out each person is a different body and has different responses. Age, health, etc. all play into it. Keep everything you will need by your bed side. I had chicken egg drop Soup that night and it was amazing. I remember with each nap I had I would wake up feeling better. You'll be fine! best to you!

Well I was shopping the next days, driving my car and out and about. Now i could definately tell i had surgery, however it wasn't bad enough to keep me home. Easy surgery compared to some. I did not take a single pain pill as for me it really wasn't that painfull. I wouldn't worry much about the recital if you have a driver........You will be fine....

I am in Lou, Ky as well, and also had my surgery done at St. Mary's (Dr. Lusco is great!), and had hernia repair. I was VERY sleepy, and sore. Couldn't drink but a little at a time because of stomach swelling, but the worst part of it all was the gas pain. I did not need any pain meds except for Aleve. They do put a patch behind your ear that you are supposed to wear until the next afternoon when you shower. It will make you sleepy, kind of like Phenergan. Other than that, I would say, have a driver, and plan to walk around a bit, you should be able to do it.

I was fine the day after my band. I was banded on a Friday and went back to work on Monday. I was a little tired, but it was do-able. You will of course be soar the day after and certainly wont be yourself. But I think you could attend your daughters function, with a driver of course.

I think that everyone is different. I had a hernia repaired along with the band and I was up and about later that day. I may have been moving a little slower but I think that you should be able to make the recital. I was at my son's basketball tournament 2 days later. They most pain is from the gas they blow you up with. It caused pain in my shoulder. I was just tired after surgery from anastesia.

I felt pretty good the day after surgery - did I want to dance? No, but I could have handled sitting at a dance recital (as long as my pants were loose).

However - I wasn't able to drive for 2 days after surgery...so that might be a bigger concern for you.

I think you'll be OK. I wrote about how I felt after surgery way at the beginning of my blog & put up photos, etc. Feel free to take a look. It might give you a decent idea of what to expect.

Congratulations on your surgery date! :thumbup:

Catherine

I am 2 days post op now- almost! I was banded weds the 14th my surgeon found an unforeseen large hernia with some obstruction & thus a lot of reflux & had some blood pressure issues during surgery so my procedure was unusually long- a little over 3 hrs. So my recovery time was a bit longer than a lot of what I read on here from people. But I have felt much better since the day of surgery & have not suffered much of the gas pain people describe. I am definitely less energized but pain pills & lack of calories can do that! I don't have much pain outside of the pressure from the swelling. Getting up & down is a little painful especially without arm rests on the chairs. So I think judging from the responses here the post op can be really different depending on the person. But I'm sure like most moms you can be up for anything when its for your kid. =) Just make sure you have someone to drive you I don't think many people can get thru day 1 post op moving around that much without a pain pill. Best wishes!

Thanks so much for all the great responses both good and bad. I know everyone is different but I like to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. That way if it is bad I won't get down about because I anticipated it could happen. If it doesn't then happy days!!