Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone!!

I've been cruising these forums for a while and am very impressed with the progress made by many of you on here.

I didn't find any answers to one of my burning questions, so I thought I'd register and post a question myself.

I am considering getting the weight loss surgery, and have been doing some research for a few months now. A lot of people I talk to talk about how before the surgery, they ate A LOT of food (i.e a full big mac meal with room for desert, or something of the like). I don't THINK I eat a lot...so I am starting to question whether or not this surgery is right for me. I've struggled with my weight for most of my life. I am currently 245, 5'4 female.

Can any of you give me some advice? What were your eating habits like before surgery, and after surgery?

GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Hi there. I am new here too and am waiting for approval. But this was one of my big questions. I talked to my surgeon and nutritionist about it. Maybe for you (like myself) its not an issue of over eating, but eating the right kinds of foods, keeping the amount of those right kind of foods limited, and also burning enough calories to produce weight loss. The band is just a tool its not a magic wand so to say. You have to put in a lot of work to make it work for you. Do you eat a lot of carbs? Thats my biggest problem. That and also eating more than just 1 meal a day. Its important to follow the diet that the dr will give you as closely as you can. I believe if you are able to make a commitment to reducing the amount you eat at each meal, eating the right fooods, and exercising, you will be just fine! Goodluck to you!

Hey There Jonelle143!

I am fairly new to the boards, but not the lap band, I had been contemplating the lap band for about 2 years, and 2010 is the year for me too do it! But I too have wondered about that. I personally do not think I eat alot, as I eat 3 meals a day. My food of choice is Sunkist soda! :thumbup: Its my vice. I do love carbs b/c I do love my Pasta & rice, but Sunkist is what I crave! :) And I know that I need to move towards getting off the Sunkist if want to be successful! :cursing:

But basically I just think every body is different, some people might eat ALOT of food, whereas other's not so much, and just eat alot of one particular item!

Hope that helped a bit! Good luck! :cursing:

Lap band was a big decision for me. It took me over one year to decide whether or not it was right for me. I think you need to be sure before you make the commitment to have the surgery. In my case I was self pay, so it was also a big financial commitment. Looking bak, it was the best decision I ever made! Take your time and decide what is right for you.

I was banded October 26, 2009. Prior to surgery, I could go to McDonald's and eat a quarter pounder with cheese, large Fries, and a sundae with no problems. Now if I go to McDonalds, I usually get one of their chicken snack wraps and that is a meal for me. If I am craving a quarter pounder, I get one and take the top bun off and eat the patty and the bottom bun and even then, I usually cant finish it. The main reason I got the lap band was to help control the amount of food I can eat. Also, I find that I eat less carbs now because I tried to get my Protein and veggies in before I eat any potatoes or breads. My problem was a mixture of what I ate and sometimes how much. I never really thought I ate a lot and neither did my husband but when you starting eating with the band, you realize that what you thought wasn't a lot really is a lot. I love my band and I wouldn't change anything.

I am in the very beginning of the process like you are. I have always been told and was convinced that I am am undereater, and my weight is due to inactivity. But I now realize, that yes, being inactive is a big reason why I am overweight, but most importantly it's how I eat and what I eat is my problem. I usually go all day eating very little, but I get hungry in the evening. I eat dinner, and if it's something I like, I will have seconds or even thirds! Sometimes I eat during the day too, usually leftovers from the night before, or if I find something in the fridge that appeals to me. I guess I just have weird eating habits.

Okay here is the trick to weight loss, and I am saying this in love and in the same position you are in.

You, I, and everyone on here has a problem with overeating and not exercising enough.

Weight loss is a numbers game. If you don't eat enough calories to keep the same weight on your frame, you will loose weight. In order to maintain the weight (245) that you have on your body you have to be taking in about 2500-3000 calories per day, every day or more if you are any bit active. That is the god's honest truth. It is just as true for me. I am petite as well, and we for our body frame actually need about 1400 cals per day if we are moderately active to weigh a healthy weight. If you don't believe me write down everything that goes into your mouth in a week and do the math, you will be amazed how many calories are in the things we eat.

I had to come to a realization that I was overeating and needed help to stop that habit. So I chose having a lap band placed to stop me from overeating. I am 6 days post op and can only eat about 1/4 cup of food at a sitting, and that is full liquids (think creamed soup). It is amazing not to actually want to eat any more. That is the beauty of the band.

Again I say this in love for you to see early on what took me a long time to fess up to, we over eat and we don't exercise enough. That is why we are where we are, and why I need help. Good luck to you and God bless.

Weight gain isn't always about overeating. Your weight depends on a lot of factors like what you eat, when, how much, your activity level, your metabolism and even genetics.

I don't eat a lot, in fact I sometimes forget to eat if I don't feel hungry! LOL

I didn't eat during the day, I was too busy, but then I'd have a good size dinner and dessert. My activity level has also been pretty low. I work on the computer for a huge part of the day, and do laundry, dishes and such. Regular housewife stuff.

It took me a year of soul searching to make the decision. I am also 5'4" and weigh 255. I want to lose the weight for a variety of reasons, not JUST to look better, but because I don't want to end up with diabetes and a bunch of other bad stuff. I want to be able to go to the mall and walk from one end to the other without having to sit down half way thru and catch my breath! I want my hip and knee joints to stop aching. I want to stop having to take meds for high blood pressure. I want to be happier and healthier. I want to live to see my 6 grandchildren grow up!

The doctor I'm going to recommended RNY gastric bypass because of my age and activity level. After a lot of discussion and research we decided the band would be better for me.

I would suggest you have a long talk with your doctor and see what he says. Do it to gain health not just to lose weight!

:)

Portion Control is much more powerful than you realise.

I say now that I ate healthy, i just ate a lot of it, but really, that's not true. I ate rubbish - huge amounts of sweet carbs in my diet, huge. I still have a problem with those foods.

But portion control is still all I needed to lose all my weight. I have greatly cut down on bad foods, but I still eat them, I just could never give them up entirely. I was away this week with five other adults at a school camp and I could literally not eat meals after three days - I had been fed SO much food what with Breakfast, lunch, dinner, morning tea, afternoon tea and supper that I just couldnt keep going. My lunch on the last day went in the bin and I didnt eat dinner that night when I got home! I was literally gobsmacked at what the five other normal weight adults put away. I've forgotten how much I ate and at the time (before banding) I considered it normal because it was compared to what others eat. I'd often say "I dont understand why I"m fat, I dont eat that much". Truth is, at a BMI of 36, I wasnt as fat as some people get.

Dont be mistaken, control your portion size as consistently as a band does, make good food choices and you WILL lose weight. YOu dont need to have been on a diet of two big macs, large fries and sundaes (have never done that in my life!) for it to work.

I have my pre-op requirements met and am waiting for insurance approval and a date for surgery.

What convinced me about the band is what it does to reduce both physical hunger and the amount a person is able to eat. Have to eat less in order to lose weight, plus change the type of calories eaten (don't get me near ice-cream).

From extensive reading on this board, the band is a great tool that delivers as promised.

I used to say that too before I got my LAP-BAND®..."I don't think I eat a lot." But when I started logging everything I ate and the calories, I ate a lot!

You'd be surprised I how many calories are in small amounts of food. Just a handful (not even a handful, 1oz) of peanut is over 160 calories. How many times have we sat somewhere and ate handfull after handfull of peanuts!

A fast food meal (sandwich, fries, drink) is usually over 800 calories. One of the market fresh sandwich at Arby's that you would think (at least I thought before I checked the nutrition) would be good for you with wheat bread, turkey, tomatoes & lettuce...800 calories!

So, many people don't think they eat a lot because what we thinks is a single serving, really isn't. And I was told a long time ago that all a person needs to eat at each meal could fit in the palm of your hand. In one ear and out the other for me at the time because it seemed so absurd when you look at the portions that are served and advertised. And there is no way I could have eaten that small amount consistantly without the band. Now I can.

The band isn't for everyone, and it's works differently for different people. For me, it still takes hard work and dedication and exercise, for others it's nothing as if they just melt away.

Good luck.

Yes, I do agree with all of you that eating too much of the wrong foods is the most common problem for many of us.

HOWEVER, in addition to that, I have a sluggish metabolism and even when I have dieted, I find that in order to actually lose weight, I must eat even less than the diet prescribes... even with exercise.

I think that many of us here also are victims of metabolic imbalance -- just like a person with bipolar disease is a victim of chemical imbalance in the brain.

For me, to achieve lifelong slimness would be to really starve myself for the rest of my life. That's where the Band will help me.

I think it does matter what type of eater you are.

I know a lady that plays cards with my group of friends, she had lap band surgery a couple of years ago. She has gained a lot of weight since then. (I don't know how much) The reason is she grazes. When we play cards we are there for usually about 10 hours or so, and the place we play serves food, like a food buffet. She will eat no less than 8 to 10 times during that 10 hours, just 1/2 a sandwich, then a bag of chips, a candy bar, a piece of pie, another 1/2 sandwich, etc. It all adds up. She tried to discourage me from having surgery but I knew my problem was Portion Control. I was always hungry, I could eat a full plate of food and still be hungry. I only ate 3 times a day, and I ate good quality food but just way too much.

So I think there are 3 basic types of eaters:

1) Portion Control eaters. Eat good food but too much at 1 time.

2) Junk food eaters. Eat processed and sugary foods.

3) Grazers. Eat continuously all day just a little at a time.

I think that..

Group #1 has the easiest time, because the band stops the overeating once you have restriction and you just keep eating the same foods.

Group #2 is usually harder you either have to change to quality foods or some people chose not to change to whole foods and just accept that they will lose slower.

Group #3 is the hardest because they have to change or the band wont work at all.

I am not saying that if you are in group 2 or 3 you shouldn't get the band, I am just saying you need to be more prepared to have to work harder at it, and if you are not willing to change you might want to reconsider having it done.

This is all just my opinion from reading these boards but I hope this helps you make an informed decision.

I agree , but if I make combo options it gets too confusing, so you have to pick the one that is most like you.