Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't underestimate...

...the value of Protein.

I always have a double scoop of Protein shake in milk for Breakfast (55gm protein), and a low carb/low cal ready made Protein Shake (18gm protein) mid meals and one in the evening. I'm never hungry.

Well for the past two days I've been so busy I 'forgot' my mid-meal Protein shakes and, for the first time, about half an hour before my lunch and dinner, I had some serious stomach growling hunger and I went to bed hungry as well.

Making a note to make sure I get those extra Protein Shakes in!

This reply is really a sort of a question. There seem to be a fair few lapbanders who make significant use of (and sing the praises of) Protein shakes - but my surgeon warned me off drinking my calories. His rationale was that drinking is hardly likelly to be restricted and therefore, the lapband is no defence against drinking excess calories. He advised me to eat a healthy diet, avoid drinking after eating (for at least an hour) and take at least an hour of strenuous, vigorous and sweat inducing exercise every day.

He also advised me to always steer clear of taking the easy path because if I choose to eat foods that are not restricted at all by the band then I will be more likely to consume excess calories unwittingly. Easy foods for me include biscuits, some cakes, some pastries, chocolate (yuck) and many sweeties, yoghurts, etc - they slip down without any real problem unless I try to eat them when I am already full.

His instructions have worked - I am no longerr obese or even overweight,but it seems at odds to the advise received by many other banders. Has anyone else had the same advise as me?

I think there's a difference between "drinking excess calories" and having planned, accounted-for Protein shakes.

I have two a day. They allow me to reach my Protein goal. I have 3 well-planned, protein-based meals, as well.

I don't approach a calorie level my doctor could even muster an eyebrow-raise about--even though he is a three-meals-a-day-no-snack kind of dude.

I'm meeting my needs. It's not beer, it's not a milkshake, and it's not Coca-Cola. It's protein. 126 calories of pure, unadulterated protein.

I don't know about UK physicians, but I do know that in North America, medical schools address nutrition almost not at all. (This is gradually beginning to change, as the link between nutrition and health becomes ever more obvious.) It is the purview of allied health professionals, and even doctors in specialties for which nutrition is unquestionably linked often are not well-schooled enough to offer advice that is sound. Why? Because their very rigorous educations are full of other things that are critical to their practice. The stuff that is the purview of allied health professionals is icing on the cake, and many of their cakes remain un-iced.

Some physicians do seek extra education on the topic. Others are savvy, and do give good, solid advice. But the fact that a guy has an M.D. after his name does NOT make him an expert on nutrition---our surgeons are expert at performing surgery. They have opinions about the proper diet--but for many, there is little basis for their opinions. Because, really--there are many "right" ways to eat, and as long as nutritional needs are met (and not exceeded), you're a-okay.

I am lucky. I have a doctor who really does know what he's talking about, nutritionally. (I know this, because I am an allied health professional who does happen to have a fair amount of nutrition background.) I respect what he tells me and, for the most part, follow it explicitly. But I also know that MY BODY requires the 126 extra, pure protein calories twice a day in order to function (and lose) optimally. So I choose, independently, to have those 2 shakes a day.

Your mileage may vary--it seems that there's a lot of variance and yet, so many success stories from all different kinds of journeys :thumbup:

I really have to drink Protein Shakes to get enough Protein in. I choose low cal/low carb.

Ohm, I was given the same advice as you. To take it further, my doctor and her dieticians do not want us drinking anything other than Water. And, there was/is no 'full liquid' or 'pureed' stage after surgery or fills. Basically, there is no time that my doctor recommends Protein shakes.

That said, we are expected to get our Protein in, but through solid protein (eaten first at mealtime - 3x per day - no snacking). I think the recommendation is 60-80 grams. I actually get closer to 100.

I understand it will probably be harder to get in that much protein as solid protein as I get more restriction, though. A lot of people in support group who are at their 'sweet spot' say they cannot eat solid protein for b-fast so they have a protein shake for that meal (even though that's not what the doctor recommends). These are people who are at goal or making good progress towards goal so I don't see any harm it in. I imagine that when I get to that point, I may have a Protein Shake for b-fast too. Honestly, I don't care much about b-fast. I've never been much of a b-fast person, but I understand that it is necessary to have b-fast or your hunger ends up going out of control for the rest of the day. So, if it comes to it that I cannot eat solid protein for b-fast because I'm too tight in the morning (at what is otherwise my 'sweet spot' for the rest of the day), then I will be happy to drink a protein shake for that meal.

Ultimately, this is a journey of trying to fashion a new 'lifestyle' using our new tool (the band) the best we can. All the doctors and experts have different advice. I do take my doctor's advice very very seriously. I wouldn't have picked her if I didn't respect and trust her.

But, ultimately, we all take responsibility for figuring out what works for us as individuals. We are the ones working the band, losing the weight, and living w/the lifestyle changes we make for the long-term. So, although I always try what my doctor and dieticians recommend first, I appreciate the other advice and perspectives on here. It gives me an arsenal of backup strategies I can try if my doctor's advice stops working for me.

but my surgeon warned me off drinking my calories. His rationale was that drinking is hardly likelly to be restricted and therefore, the LAP-BAND® is no defence against drinking excess calories.

As Betsy said, most physicians are not trained in nutrition...and nutritionists, as a general rule, tend to spout whatever is popular knowledge. For years the food pyramid was taught as gospel by nutritionists. Now it's upside down...and being taught as gospel...until something shakes up their little world and they teach something else.

We are unique individuals and there is no set way of eating that works for all of us. It's up to us to find what works for us and our body's needs.

As for Protein shakes, my doctor didn't care how I got my calories as long as I stayed between 1200-1400 a day without feeling hungry or deprived. I drink a Protein shake in the morning mainly because I can't eat solid food. I'm too tight. However, that boost of protein and then the mid-morning shake get me to lunch. I'm not hungry at lunch, but I eat anyway. Generally 2-3 oz of protein and 1/4-1/2 cup vegies. Very occasionally, I'll have half a cup of Soup and 1/4 -1/2 of a sandwich on toasted thin bread (the only kind I can actually eat without getting stuck). The mid-afternoon shake helps get me to dinner where it's much the same as lunch except I add 1/4 cup of carbs (rice, Beans, potatoes)...if i can even eat them.

In my case, those mid-meal shakes are not Meal Replacements. They are *in addition* to stabilize my blood sugar (diabetics should not go more than 3 hours without eating) and get my protein *and* calories in...because without those shakes, my calories would be around 1000...and that's too low.

Edited by ElfiePoo

This reply is really a sort of a question. There seem to be a fair few lapbanders who make significant use of (and sing the praises of) Protein shakes - but my surgeon warned me off drinking my calories. His rationale was that drinking is hardly likelly to be restricted and therefore, the LAP-BAND® is no defence against drinking excess calories. He advised me to eat a healthy diet, avoid drinking after eating (for at least an hour) and take at least an hour of strenuous, vigorous and sweat inducing exercise every day.

He also advised me to always steer clear of taking the easy path because if I choose to eat foods that are not restricted at all by the band then I will be more likely to consume excess calories unwittingly. Easy foods for me include biscuits, some cakes, some pastries, chocolate (yuck) and many sweeties, yoghurts, etc - they slip down without any real problem unless I try to eat them when I am already full.

His instructions have worked - I am no longerr obese or even overweight,but it seems at odds to the advise received by many other banders. Has anyone else had the same advise as me?

Hi,

First off, congrats on all of your success and hardwork :thumbup:

Regarding your post, yes my doctor definitely told me to stay away from soft or liquid calorie foods. However, in speaking w/ my nutritionist, she stressed staying away from HIGH calories sliders. I make my shakes at home for Breakfast and they are usually around 300 calories, after I've added 1 cup of skim milk and a piece of fruit for bulk. I don't look at their nutritional value as being as hazardous as say ice cream or any other high cal. slider food. Also, since I do bulk my shakes up w/ fruit, it definitely keeps my pouch full. I find that the bottom line to this band is portion & calorie restriction. So as long as I'm not going over my calories set for the day while making healthier choices, I've continued to be successful at losing weight and maintaining a solid Protein average. Also, on those days when the band is tighter than normal, a healthy shake is the only way I can even imagine getting in my nutrients and not damaging my band by forcing solid food down.

It's all a journey, but definitely at times a personalized one.

Best,

Lauren

Yes, sure, I hear you. I only mentioned it as a thought: it is just that it would be easier to consume excess calories in shake form (even in the absence of cocacola:tongue2:).

I'm not implying that anyone is being irresponsible or trying to cheat - I'm just mindful of the risk. I know I would still be able to eat after a liquid meal/shake. If I were to consume a "shake" I might, in a forgetful or ill-advised and unwatchful moment eat something else and end up consuming extra calories- that was really where I was coming from.

My own surgeon is a super guy who works with the dietician very closely and has had a weight problem himself and clearly knows his nutrition. We, his patients have watched him gain and lose - he may even be a member of this forum! It is still interesting that the advice varies though.

I really did not mean to imply that doctors in the US were worse or better or anything else - I was just discussing the advice I was given. Please don't take offence. I'm sorry if I have upset anyone. I'll phrase my responses more carefully next time.:thumbup::cry_smile:

I just want you all to know that all this talk of Protein Shakes has got me craving one even though I have not had one since being banded. LOL

I make my shakes at home for breakfast and they are usually around 300 calories, after I've added 1 cup of skim milk and a piece of fruit for bulk.

My morning shake is around 330 because I mix it with 2 scoops of powder to bulk up the Protein and with 2% milk. I used to add half a banana, but now (with restriction) I find that's too thick for the mornings. I don't worry about the high calories in this shake though since it is a Meal Replacement and that's a respectable number of calories for a meal.

My 3 mid-meal shakes though are readymade EAS shakes that are only 110 calories with 3gm carb.

Hey Ohm, don't feel bad. I don't think anyone is upset by your post. Its a really good question and one that I pondered too for a long time because my doctor says the same thing. I think that's why a lot of people are responding, not cause they are upset by it.

There is another danger with the shakes that I fell into, I can use them as total Meal Replacements. I was drinking the EAS 110 cal "shakes" for nutrition when I was too tight, after my slight unfill I continued on them using them as a meal. So I was using them for breakfast and lunch and keeping my calories down around 500-700. Now I only use them for a snack to hold back the hunger until I can make a "real" meal.

Without the shakes or protien powder added to other things I can't seem to get in enough grams of protien. I am not sur if it will alwasy be this way, but for the time being I need the extra protien and like the OP if I forget or skip something the hunger is out of control!

I had my surgery at a hospital associated with a teaching university medical program and they advise against drinking your meals. The thought is that it is a slippery slope with over eaters who might then start drinking milk shakes. They take a slow and cautious approach and feel if you can't chew and swallow you are too tight which can lead to complications. So yes- there isn't one overall approach over here to bariatric after care. And don't feel bad about sharing your experience.

Ohm, I didn't read your response in a negative way--I was simply explaining why I am willing to (minorly) deviate from my surgeon's recommendations.

Basically, it's 'cause he's just a guy with an opinion---albeit a guy who's very skilled at performing bariatric surgery.

Now, it must be said that doing it MY way did not work well at all for a good number of years---if it had, I wouldn't currently have a band around my stomach! This is why I really do follow 99.9 percent of his recommendations. But I do make a 126 calorie, 30-g Protein, low-carb deviation each day. This form of "doing it my way" really does work for me--and for many of us.