Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't understand!!!

Everyone says that this is band is not magic and that you will need to do the work, but if we could of done the work then we would not have needed to get the band. I see so many people don't lose any weight. If we stuffed our face before why would we not stuff our face now. I really don't understand. If you don't have restriction then you can eat all you want and not lose weight or even gain weight, and if you have restriction then you feel sick all the time. If you get to much restriction then you can't even drink Water, I would really appreciate if someone who has lost some weight would let me know how things have gone for them. Sorry I sould a little fustrated, I just hope I didn't spend a bunch of money for nothing.

I'm 2 months post-op and down 34 pounds...the first couple weeks were HELL...I thought I'd made a huge mistake and would be starving forever. After my first fill things were better but not great. I could still eat much more than I should and if I tried to eat a really small portion like I was supposed to I was still starving, if I ate a small portion I was hungry again in 2 or 3 hours....so I ate more than I should but not as much as I would have in the past and tried to fill myself with healthy stuff and just hang in there until my next fill. I lost 4 pounds in 4 weeks. Not great but still 4 pounds. I had my second fill 2 days ago and I'm in heaven, I know it's likely temporary and my band will loosen and I'll need another fill. However right now I can eat essentially whatever I want just in a very small portion compared to my old life. I ate lunch at 1:00 and wasn't hungry until I was making dinner at 5:00, had some Water during the afternoon but no snacking and no desire to.... In 2 months I have not thrown up once. Ive only been stuck once and it was because I was in a rush and took a huge bite. I can't eat anything without problem I just have to take small bites and chew...If I eat too much I get chest pressure and I don't like it so when I start to feel full at all I quit, it's enough to satisfy me without stuffing me.

There are rules to follow and foods to watch, the weight will come off quicker with you exercise, eat healthy food, and drink Water. I could sit and drink milkshakes all day if I wanted,but I won't...that doesn't mean I don't steal a sip or two of my son's but I won't get my own and I won't drink much. That's where will power comes in! However! The fact that I'm not freaking starving all the time like pre-band makes it so much easier.

Good luck, work through it and use the support you find here. A healthier you is so worth it!

Bell,

I am getting banded in 2 weeks. I have been researching the band for over a year. You are asking some great questions.

Different people get banded for different reasons.

I have absolutely no problem losing weight. I never have. Unfortunately, I am even better at gaining it.

I am getting banded for Portion Control. I look at the band as a tool for stopping or slowing weight gain.

I think I will be successful with it because I usually eat the right things, meat and potatoes. Just too much of them.

I will do my part by losing the weight when I can and the band will play its part but keeping me from gaining it back when my willpower dwindles.

I am three months out and I have lost 37lb - thats about 2lb a week which is a great healthy rate to lose at -

My band had 5cc in it - i have a 10 cc band - i have very good restriction right now - tho im sure i will need a fill as i lose more weight - I eat very small amounts and am not in pain or sick unless i cause it by not eating slow and chewing well.

I am loving it!!

Do i sometimes wish i could eat what i want,, sure today i wanted a cheese burger grease and all with lettuce tomatoe and mayo - tho i knew 2 bits would have me in pain... i opted for some crunchy coated fish fillet and some sweet potatoe french fries ( about 7 lol)

I dont see this as a waste at all and would do it again in a heart beat .

I am in the same boat as PP. I have had 2 fills. The Preop diet sucks! Let's just say it and get it out of the way. Post surgery you have some restriction but that soon wears off and we're off to our first fill. All the while not having restriction. I must say after my second fill I have had some restriction. I got stuck once and just waited it out. It hurt but it passed. I plan on getting another fill on Monday but I know with the proper food choices and cutting my food up and chewing and chewing and chewing I'll be okay. And the weight will come off. To me this is a small sacrifice in trade for a lifetime of thin!!!

Here's the thing...with the band you get Portion Control, so obviously you can't eat as much, but you have to eat healthier or you can suffer from malnutrition. Exercise speeds up the weightloss, and the more you see the results, the more you want to exercise.

I could always lose weight, but put it on again as soon as I got discouraged by a plateau. Now, when I hit a plateau, I know I won't gain the weight back so I continue exercising and making mostly good food choices. I see the band as not only a tool, but motivation as well.

Everyone says that this is band is not magic and that you will need to do the work, but if we could of done the work then we would not have needed to get the band. I see so many people don't lose any weight. If we stuffed our face before why would we not stuff our face now. I really don't understand. If you don't have restriction then you can eat all you want and not lose weight or even gain weight, and if you have restriction then you feel sick all the time. If you get to much restriction then you can't even drink Water, I would really appreciate if someone who has lost some weight would let me know how things have gone for them. Sorry I sould a little fustrated, I just hope I didn't spend a bunch of money for nothing.

When you have PROPER restriction, you don't feel sick all the time, you just feel satisfied on less food. I think many times the problem comes from doctors giving big fills and people wanting restriction so desperately that they are willing to stay with a band that is too tight. The only times I get sick (about once or twice a month) is if I eat bites that are too big, too fast OR if I eat dry, stringy meat. Other than that, I eat pretty much what I want, I just eat less of it.

Bell,

When you have proper restriction with the band, it is impossible to 'stuff your face' without immediate, painful feedback. When I've taken one bite too many, I'm 'uncomfortable' but not in pain for probably 10 minutes until a bit moves from my pouch to my stomach. I've learned to stop before that point but then aversion therapy works well for me.

There is no pain with restriction as long as you remember to take small bites, chew well, don't drink with meals, put your fork down between bites and eat slowly...and pay attention to those foods that do give you a problem.

The band is about Portion Control but it's still up to us to make good food choices and follow the guidelines. Even those who've only lost 25 pounds in a year will admit that it's because they didn't follow the rules...or didn't go get their fills.

It isn't magic. We still have control over what we put in our mouths. The band, with restriction, just controls the portions.

May not be directly related to post, but there's def seasoned banders answering who I am hoping can help me! I'm now a week post op was doing pretty well until last night. Was in the middle of a CIB shake and got this horrible pain under the large (assuming port incision) and hurt to take a deep breath, to bend, to get up off couch all of which did not hurt before. I'm so paranoid I'm going to "do something" like stretch it, slip it, move port? I took pain med following bout an hour later it just still killed, does any veteran think it was just drinking too fast, or too much and not realizing (having probs realizing it soon enough sometimes), or something else? Still hurts this am when I take a deep breath, I did email doc last night and he said drank too fast just want piece of mind someone else has had same issue or?

It is not a "magic" band.....It is a tool to help you obtain your goal of weight loss and to remain at your goal weight.....

I don't believe the nonsense about "safe" weight loss of only 2lbs a week. This is a PC bit of nonsense along with the multiple other "scares" we are subject to. Why is 2lbs safe than 5lbs? 5lbs could be much safer if you are in danger of a heart attack. See Fast Weightloss - the dangers of losing weight too quickly for a list of the "dangers" of rapid weight loss. They are:

• The pounds that you shed are mainly Water weight and not from fat, which can cause you to easily dehydrate and then rapidly regain the weight.
  • Fasting or using detox diets can cause diarrhea; the resulting dehydration can cause Constipation.
  • Rapid weight loss leads straight to fatigue, draining your energy levels and stamina.
  • Restricting your calories means risking malnutrition, or not receiving the right amount of Vitamins and minerals.
  • Your sodium and potassium levels will drop, contributing to a greater chance of cramping and a feeling of illness.
  • Losing weight quickly takes it toll on your appearance, causing your skin to dry out, your hair to lack luster and your complexion to appear gaunt.

You might wonder where the "danger" is then. Er... you might put it back on? you will look gaunt? you might need Vitamins? er... er... where is the "danger"?

2lbs a week would not be fast enough for me to justify weight loss surgery. Period. It is not "safer" than a faster weight loss. I want 3-4lbs a week at least. Just because I am overweight doesn't mean I swallow every detail of the "obesity panic" being promoted in the media.

Bell: It's only been 4 months since my surgery & I don't regret it one bit. I have only lost 29 pounds since surgery but I feel amazing! We obviously ALL have a problem with "stuffing our face"! The trick for me is that I don't keep it in the house! By the way, ice cream, cake and Cookies go down just fine.....not a good thing! If you can't keep from eating slider foods in excess than you will not lose. It sounds like you are just in the very beginning of the journey. Hang in there! I think we all had doubts at one point after surgery! :confused:

Awkward Customer: I'm not trying to be rude but it sounds like the band may not be the right choice for you. I'm sure everyone would like to wake up healthy....it's just not going to happen that fast! As btrieger said, it's not always about having help losing the weight but instead help keeping it off! Good luck to you!:confused:

I love my band and I have lost a total of 184 lbs so far. I have good restriction again and things are going well. I have been banded for just about 14 months. It's all good hang in there. Follow the Doc's orders and you will have great results. No it is not magic, But I for one did not get all (FAT) overnight so I for one can not expect to be thin overnight. I take accountability for my condition and I am moving forward. I refuse to remain stuck in the Oreo Zone. Although I do love them. They are my go to comfort food. When I fall off the wagon I fall into the Oreo's BAD Scotty I am human. I do however know how to pick myself back up and get my tail moving again. Fuel in fuel out. I have 22lbs to lose and they just don't want to leave.

2lbs a week would not be fast enough for me to justify weight loss surgery. Period. It is not "safer" than a faster weight loss. I want 3-4lbs a week at least.

I don't know if you are pre or postop but I would say with this kind of attitude you may be in for a major dissappointment.

I had my band on 11-4-09 i have lost 53 so far on my first adjustment didnt lose munch on my second i have it has been some difficult you need to eat like a baby again very small bite and very slow and do not drink a half hour before or after this help from getting sick i have trouble with alot of cooked meats i find if i put them in a gravy or sauce help try not to eat thik food that tends to give pain which cause you feel sick i eat alot of yogart and Protein Shakes i still eat some meat too when my second adjustment was first done i was sick for a week but as you adjust your food it does get easier don't get discourge it took time to put this weight on it not going off overnight i bought some small containers that hold about 3 oz of food what fits in them is what i eat for my meal Breakfast 4oz carnation breakfast mid moring 3 cracker 2 oz cheese luch potaoe Soup 3 oz mid afternoon 4oz yougurt dinner small diced chicken in gravy 2 oz with a tablespoon of mashed potaoes late night very small diced raw vegetable about quarter of cup with lite dressing i still need to work on the fruit in my diet your Protein in the most important hope this help good luck