Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded 12/15/09. Before the surgery I was very excited. VERY.

I normally suffer from depression and anxiety... it's just part of who I am and I have taken medication for 18 years for it. I take 20mg Lexapro and Ativan when needed. I haven't been "depressed" for a long, long time. The meds always seemed to work.

However, since surgery, I don't want to get out of bed, don't want to leave the house, don't want to leave my room!! I am losing weight... have lost 42 lbs. I haven't even worked more than 5 hours since surgery. I'm going to lose my insurance if I'm not careful. Maybe even my job. And this job, which I normally like, I just can't fathom the idea of going back.

I can't even describe to you what I feel most of the time. Numb. Don't care. Sad. Tired.

Anyone else experience this after surgery? It seems like I suffered some depression after my gall bladder surgery as well. It was an open surgery and took me awhile to recover. Do you think it's anesthesia? Or is it just me? :cursing:

I don't know if it was the surgery or not. My advice is to work with your doctor. I'm assuming you have a psychiatrist who prescribes your meds. Call for an appointment asap.

No. No psychiatrist, just my regular doctor. I plan to have a visit with him on Friday. Might need to up my meds, but was just wondering if anyone else may have experienced the same depressive feelings after surgery?

I too have depression and was diagnosed with PMDD in the last year. Depression is a chemical inbalance. the surgery and all that goes with it may have altered the balancing act your meds did. When I was going through PMDD I was taking my meds and thought I was going crazy. I kept thinking I am taking my meds what is wrong. My doctor referred me to a psychiratrist that specializes in medications for my stuff. It has made a world of difference.

Make an appointment with your doctor straight away. Talk to him/her about what's going on and how you did with your past surgery. Don't wait.

I suffer from depression and anxiety. I see a psychatrist for my meds. Since he added Abilify to my meds I have seen a drastic change to my mood...for the better! My anxiety is not any better though. I take Xanax when needed for this. Having Lap Band surgery is anticlimatic. You were working towards a goal and that goal is now accomplished. Often people suffering from depression get depressed when their goals are accomplished. Maybe this explains it for you. I would talk to your doctor and maybe see a psychatrist. Best wishes and hugs to you....

No. No psychiatrist, just my regular doctor. I plan to have a visit with him on Friday. Might need to up my meds, but was just wondering if anyone else may have experienced the same depressive feelings after surgery?

Hey there.. I work with a Dr. who had pretty major surgery last year and 2 weeks later he came back to work and spoke of how he became very depressed post surgery, which is not like him at all. He talked about it openly because he was concerned for himself. He said it was a reaction to the anesthia. It took him more than a month to feel back to his normal self. This is someone who has no history with depression.

I'm glad you're seeing the Dr. that perscribed your meds. Depression and anxiety are no joke. I hope you get this all sorted out.

I strongly reccomend you begin seeing a psychiatrist. I believe them to be much more experienced at prescibing psyc. meds. Tell your regular dr. since I am feeling so deppressed, can you reccomend a psychiatrist. Hope the appt. Friday goes well.

I have suffered from depression for about 13 years now. There are times when it seems more severe then others. You may need to have your medication re-evaluated.

The surgery may darn well have triggered a depressive state for you. You have lost your coping mechanism FOOD! Especially if you are not yet able to eat solid foods.

Please make an appointment to have your meds evaluated. A simple medication increase or change may do the trick.

Take care,

Donna

I strongly reccomend you begin seeing a psychiatrist. I believe them to be much more experienced at prescibing psyc. meds. Tell your regular dr. since I am feeling so deppressed, can you reccomend a psychiatrist. Hope the appt. Friday goes well.

My doctor prescribed Lexapro (an antidepressant) and Ativan for just when I need it. Lexapro has been a LIFESAVER. Since this recent depression has only hit me since surgery, I tend to think it's probably temporary. I am very sensitive to many medications.

If I can't get it under control, I will certainly see a psychiatrist. :cursing:

I talk about my own struggle with post op depression in my blog if you wanna read it :thumbup:

Some People Were Born to Rock and Roll...: Sex or Celexa? :thumbup:

In the classes required to prepare for surgery we were told that fully 50% of WLS patients have a depression after surgery. It's very common. They also told us to call them if it lasted more than two weeks. Call your doctor and feel better soon.

I talk about my own struggle with post op depression in my blog if you wanna read it :)

Some People Were Born to Rock and Roll...: Sex or Celexa? :biggrin:

Thanks for sharing that! I actually have problems sexually, too. I think it's the antidepressants... which I HATE... but then again, I hate being depressed? Maybe I should just do a whole cleansing thing? I don't want more drugs. :thumbup:

I was banded 12/15/09. Before the surgery I was very excited. VERY.

I normally suffer from depression and anxiety... it's just part of who I am and I have taken medication for 18 years for it. I take 20mg Lexapro and Ativan when needed. I haven't been "depressed" for a long, long time. The meds always seemed to work.

However, since surgery, I don't want to get out of bed, don't want to leave the house, don't want to leave my room!! I am losing weight... have lost 42 lbs. I haven't even worked more than 5 hours since surgery. I'm going to lose my insurance if I'm not careful. Maybe even my job. And this job, which I normally like, I just can't fathom the idea of going back.

I can't even describe to you what I feel most of the time. Numb. Don't care. Sad. Tired.

Anyone else experience this after surgery? It seems like I suffered some depression after my gall bladder surgery as well. It was an open surgery and took me awhile to recover. Do you think it's anesthesia? Or is it just me? :thumbup:

Sorry to hear about your depression. I too have suffered from depression and anxiety since my son went to Iraq 5 years ago. I take 40mgs of lexapro daily. I would call your family doctor ASAP. With your weight change you may need an adjustment in your meds. Also make sure your not skipping any doses or throwing up the medicine. Take care of yourself, Leslie

One thing I don't see mentioned is the hormone shift that can occur postop. Fat tissue is mildly estrogenic, and when it's lost, it really can create hormonal turmoil. This can profoundly affect mood, particularly in those of us who are already vulnerable to depression.

If you talk with your doctor, your weight loss is definitely worth mentioning as a possible factor in your depression; it may affect the way it is tackled medically.