Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how do you have enough fiber

I really need more Fiber in my diet. I have no problems with goin to the bathroom before the band but now I am having major problems. If I take sencot ( natural reliever pill) it works fine but I dont want to be dependant on that forever.

I have medamucil (sp?) but the type I have is a smooth form that when mixed with Water expands so I am freaked out to drink it every day because I am afraid it will hurt my pouch size it expands so much( though it does taste good).

I am not sure what else there is that I can try that won't make me dependant on so I was wondring if anyone has any food tips or Vitamins that could help out.

Thanks

For me, one serving of oatmeal every day keeps me totally regular. I am sure it wouldn't work for everyone, but it does wonders for me!

General Mills has a product line called Fiber-One. It is an assortment of mostly Breakfast foods that are loaded with fiber and all are delicious.

Fiber One | Cardboard no. Delicious yes.

I put benefibre single packets in my Water which makes it just like drinking crystal lite. I also have bought the all bran buds in single packets and put that in my yogurt and/or porridge. makes the yogurt nice a crunchy. I also eat raisins. I used to have bowels every day and now it is about every 3 days.

metamucil make pills for ppl on the go. just swallow with Water. they arent big though. they dont get stuck or anything. you might need a couple in a sitting. i still take metamucil. i dont see how it expands. i mix it into the water and quickly down it. i dont mix up a lot of water (like a metric cup. more like 150ml or so) the longer the metamucil stands in the cup the thicker it gets. so, the runnier it is in my pouch the better. I also have a small water chaser to make sure it washes it down. I dont have any pains or bloated feelings or anything weird if i do it that way. HTH Jen

I use the clear dissolving Metamucil or Benefiber in my warm drink (coffee/tea/hot choc), and I can't even tell I've added it. Also, I try to get the most bang for my buck when I chose my foods. I buy the double fiber Nature's Own bread, Thomas' English Muffins w. 8 grams fiber, my salad base is almost always spinach, I sprinkle ground flax seed on salads, chili, etc. Speaking of chili, I make mine with 5 different types of Beans including green Beans. I buy the small cans of spinach, have 1/2 can for a snack occasionally. I also have 1/2 cup of high fiber Cereal (dry) every morning (Khashi has a high fiber/high Protein cereal), and I sprinkle Fiber One, All Brand (buds), blueberries, pecans &/or walnuts in my yogurt or salads. If you like prunes, they make a good snack. It's important to find the right balance of soluble and insoluble fiber in your diet for your system.

http://www.healthcastle.com/fiber-solubleinsoluble.shtml

Edited by kiz

I have a teaspoon of flaxseed oil eveyday, usually with my Breakfast. I also try to include naturally fibre-rich foods with my meals like Beans, green vegetables. Yogurt with active cultures there are many probiotic ones out there is helpful too.

Also getting are you consuming enough Water? Important to have 64 oz.

Many people also use a tasteless, dissolvable fibre supplement, can be added to pretty much anything and will not alter the taste(not bulky at all). One that comes to mind is Benefibre. I'm in Canada so not sure if the brand is carried where you are.

Good luck!

I absolutely love the Vitafusion Fiber gummies. I combo those with my gummi Multi Vitamins and it's actually a nice little snack.< /p>

I add FiberSure (inulin fiber--I usually buy the generic version) to my liter bottles of Water. (1 tablespoon = 15 g fiber; I'd work up from a teaspoon to start).

Be sure you get plenty of Fluid and enough good-quality heart-healthy fat, too (I love flax seeds, crushed RIGHT before using to preserve the Omega benefits of the oil), or the fiber will compound the problem instead of make it better.

Also remember that stool frequency and bulk is going to be far different from what it was preop because you're taking in far, far less.