Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Complications

**I did a search and found an old thread (few years old) that talked about complications where some one had to have the band removed. Wasn't sure if the thread was legit, or troll... so I decided to start a new thread. I hope I didn't miss one in my search, sorry if I am being redundant**

I would just like to know if anyone here has had complications with their band... I am interested in both minor and major complications. My main questions are:

What kind of complications did you encounter with the band?

What kind of side effects do you deal with on a regular basis?

What side effects did you have that went away with time?

Would you do the operation again even with the problems encountered?

I see a lot of posts about the good, but I also know not everyone sails through without any bumps. I am aware of the risks and statistics (conflicting as reports can be), but I just want to get a better feel for what kind of bumps I can expect from talking with people who have "been there done that". :) Figured it was easiest to compile the info in one post, rather than hop thru a bunch trying to find the experiences that were not so "wonderful". :)

Thanks!

The band has been up and down for me and I am only 6 months into my journey, but let me say straight up that no matter what I still would have got the band. The only thing I really would whinge about is getting the larger band and having trouble finding restriction with it. I know alot of the ppl with the small bands find restriction alot faster. Some days I miss being able to have a nice huge hamburger and things like that, but I repeat I would NEVER go back. I love my band for the good and the bad, kinda like my hubby, its here to stay. :)

i didn't have any complications!

no side effects

i didn't have any side effects :)

in a heartbeat!

No surgical complications.

PBing, but that only happens if I eat too fast, lol.

None.

yes, absolutely.

Do a search on thread by donali, who had her band removed, and by DeLarla, who had her port removed. There's others, but those are the ones that stick out most in my mind. A girl named Erin recently had her port removed, but for the life of me I can't remember her screenname here.

To do band RESEARCH, you also have to hit the medical journals and the Inamed site.

A number of people here have had complications, but may not notice the post or maybe they have gone on to other methods.

But, in partial answer, "Am I sorry I got the band?" No. "Knowing what I now know, would I recommend that my fictional identical twin sister get the band today?" No.

Thanks for the replies.

GeezerSue: I have done research on the Inamed site. I wanted to poll the members here. Thanks. :)

I know of a complications with the liver being sliced. One girl in our lapband support group was so desperate to have surgery that she put weights around her ankles and in her pockets when she met with the dietician for weigh in (she didn't have enough BMI). When the doctor figures out how much weigh you have to lose, he obviously uses your weight to figure this out. So when the doc went in to do the band, the liver was much larger than expected. She was in the hospital for an extra 4 days, but is doing well. Now for the first weigh in, at his office, you have to wear a johnny.

I only just saw this post today.

Complications:

Port revision 10-11 months out. I had torn the sutures holding my port flat, and it flipped sideways and would not remain flat after physician manipulation. So I had to have it surgically returned to flat and resutured.

40% Erosion diagnosed 17 months out, resulting in band removal. I still have residual restriction 17 months out (band removal 7/2004) which mostly manifests itself as a slight "stuck" feeling if I eat too fast, or drink before food has passed all the way through the old banded site.

I don't regret being banded, and if I knew 100% for sure that I wouldn't erode again I would get rebanded. But I don't want to risk another erosion at this point, as I consider myself lucky that I didn't suffer worse stomach damage than I obviously already have.

What kind of complications did you encounter with the band? Port infection within a week of surgery. Port removal the same month. Wound never healed.

8 months later the tube popped out of the open, infected wound leading to port replacement and major removal of inflammatory tissued.

Immediate infection of 2nd new port, leading to a 2nd port removal and even more severe removal of infected tissue, leaving golf-ball sized open wound that needed to be packed every single day till it closed naturally.

Currently no port.

What kind of side effects do you deal with on a regular basis? Feels tight, anxiety that something's wrong.

What side effects did you have that went away with time? Got used to it.

Would you do the operation again even with the problems encountered? Not in Mexico and not as a self-pay. If my insurance covered it, and if I could have it done locally, yes.