Jump to content
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!


LAP-BAND Patients
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by Mindy!

  1. I got my staples removed about a week ago. The past two days, my incision areas have been extremely itchy to the point where I can't stop myself from scratching all over. I woke up in the middle of the night last night because they were so itchy and I had to put lotion over my whole stomach! It's not like it's a constant worry of mine, because the itchiness comes and goes. About ten minutes ago I began scratching again and I looked down and noticed all five of my incision areas are swollen! Not red or anything, but warm and irritated. I know it's because I've been scratching and messing with them, but I'm worried now that I have infected something. My port has a huge hump over it now and I'm so deathly afraid that I've messed something up. Only two of my bandages have fallen off and I've been putting Vitamin E over them like the doctor said. A few minutes ago I added Neosporin over all of my swollen areas and it feels better now but I'm still really really worried.

    Am I in deep trouble?

  2. Thank you. I definitely agree with you. Sometimes I let others sway my opinion or shake my confidence so when I see such negativity I get really discouraged, but you're right; it is very mental. All of it.

    And I just got banded on the 15th. Best decision I've made in my life so far. Ten pounds down and 47 down since I started my journey and I've never been happier. Or healthier. :) I hope you have a good holiday and congratulations on the surgery! The staple removal was easy-peasy. Not painful and it was really fun because I got to see my stomach without the Patches on it for the first time, haha.

  3. So, I searched Lap Band on public posts on Facebook, and it came up with quite a few results with people saying pretty annoying things. One lady made fun of it, as in, "I just ate so much chicken... I need the lap band, y'all!". Another asked for opinions on it via her status and the replies were like, "No, I know 4 people that have died from it!" and "No don't do it, it doesn't work, I have 100 friends who had it and they gained the weight back really quick!". And another man that said, "Eat right and exercise, don't take the easy way out #lapband".

    I am appalled. I could rant here, but I won't. Ugh.

  4. I know it's been a week since anyone's replied to this, but I need to bump this because an explanation is needed.

    Order of operations suggests that you should deal with multiplication first. Meaning, get the 1 x 0 out of the way first and foremost. That leaves you with 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1+1. Which equals 14. :biggrin3:

  5. I think that's fairly normal, really. Just like what was already mentioned in this thread- You need to make sure you're eating. I'm not experienced myself, but my doctor explained to me what I might experience in the first couple of months with the band. I, myself, haven't experienced nausea, but at least you know it's not anything to worry about.

  6. My surgery couldn't have gone any better. I live two hours away from the hospital at which I was getting the surgery, so I had to wake up at 4 to arrive at 6:30ish. They could tell how nervous I was, and they were also a bit weary because of my age (I had to wait so long for the surgery because my insurance wasn't very quick to approve me since I'm only 18), so they let my mom come with me into the pre-op room. They told me to take off everything but my socks (a stylish, mismatched pair of bright orange and bright yellow) and made me wear that infamous gown. I was already tired from being so incredibly anxious the night prior, so I was a little bit cranky and already a nervous wreck. The nurse had to check and see if I was pregnant ("Fingers crossed, mama!" I said as I walked into the bathroom. It's funny because I am in no way sexually active.) and then when it came back negative she had me lie on the bed and warned me that she was about to put the IV in. I immediately began freaking out, because she didn't refer to it as an IV, she referred to it as a catheter. And, at that moment, I was thinking CATHETER CATHETER. Not needle through a vein catheter. But, like, urination catheter. And so I was flipping out because I didn't want to be awake for that at all! And why would you put a NEEDLE there?! But... it was all cleared up and I stopped worrying. The IV was the most painful part of that whole day, I think. The needle went on and on and my blood was so red. It was really scary. But soon it was done and she gave me some medicine to make me stop crying so often.

    Like I said, I was already incredibly sleepy, so it didn't take long for me to zonk out. This was way before the anesthesiologist came in to talk to me about the procedure. She basically just had a conversation with my mom and dad because I was far gone in dreamland. Then, Yolanda, the supervisor of my whole lap band journey thus far, came in to talk to me about what was going to happen and stuff. I drifted in and out during that conversation, but she's been a really great supportive asset in my journey so far, so it meant a lot to me that she came to ease my nerves. They told me I could watch TV until they were ready for me, but I went back to sleep and didn't wake up until they gave me anesthesia and rolled me into the OR. I remember the day before being extremely nervous about waking up during my surgery (I had never had a surgery before) but it was really just like you read about. I literally blinked my eyes and the next thing I knew, I was in the recovery room. I remember bits and pieces from earlier than that, like rolling over onto the table, and answering their question of, "On a scale of 1-10, how much pain are you in?" (I said 7 with feigned confidence. I am sure I meant to say 12. I am such a wuss.). The nurse came in and told me that it went perfectly and it was time for me to walk, now. I definitely wanted to sleep longer, but I digressed. We took a little walk around the floor of the hospital and she brought me to the bathroom and had me do my business. If I could do it without help, they'd send me home. Of course it was not a problem, but it did really hurt sitting down and standing up. I went back to the room and she sat with me a minute until this other nurse came in (his name was Josh). He told me I was going to drink the "most delicious liquid I'd ever have the fortune to drink" in front of an X-Ray. I said, "...Really?!" and he said, "No, you need to down in like a shot though because it tastes so, so, so bad". I laughed and he told me to hop on a wheelchair so he could bring me down to the x-ray place room thing.

    Well, that was the most exciting part for me because I got to kick my feet all the way down the hall as if I were running really quickly (I'm secretly seven years old, you guys) and also they made me wear this blue cap and I made the comment about how we were triplets since we all matched. They liked me, they totally liked me. I am a hoot. A riot. Anyway, when we got to the room, we chatted for a little bit and then I had to taste the Stuff. The Stuff wasn't too awful, really. Mostly because my mouth was so unbelievably dry that I welcomed any kind of moisture in my throat. So, yeah, the Stuff isn't as bad as you might think it will be. They gave me ice chips afterward and that was awesome. My surgeon came in and showed me the x-rays and said that there wasn't anything in the band right now, but I would come back in a few weeks and get a fill. Works for me. They released me and I got in the back of my dad's truck and attempted to sleep.

    Now, I know this is long-winded, but if you're reading this to get some insight into what your surgery day will be like: KNOW THIS. The ride home was the most unbearable part of my day. 2 hours and 15 minutes in the back of a car. Every. Single. Bump. Was felt. Lane switches. Pushes on the accelerator. Stops. Turns. And we pulled into a Walgreens so I could get some Water (my mouth was dry to the point of dry heaving and not being able to swallow), my dad pulled into the one parking spot that had a gaping hole where the tires park at the front. I was double over crying because it hurt so unbelievably bad. I wish I had brought more pillows, and I wish I had been sitting up or something in order to avoid such vulnerability to my stomach. Heed that advice, it will save you a lot of pain.

    Anyway, I got home and I was pretty sore but the Lortab put me out really quickly. The second day, yesterday, was the worst day so far. My shoulders hurt incredibly bad and my stomach was hurting, too. I haven't really felt any hunger so I've had to pretty much force down a Protein shake or broth because my stomach hurts worse when it's empty, I've learned. Gas X is my best friend, it helps my shoulders so much. So does my heating pad. Also, I tried sleeping in a recliner last night because I have a bad habit of rolling onto my tummy when I sleep, but it ended up hurting my back and shoulders far too much. It's day 3 (well, 4, I guess because it's 3 in the morning) and I've been getting a lot of rest. My hours are all messed up now but I'm sure that will fix itself in time. I've been passing the time by watching Doctor Who, but I will warn all of you, don't try watching any sitcoms too quick after the surgery. That was a huge mistake, the laughter hurt my tummy so much!

    Anyway, that's my story. I am very lucky to have worked with such a group of awesome folk. They sent me a card with everyone's name on it! Everyone's! It made my whole day. I am surely going to frame it.

  7. Diana, congratulations! Our dates are very close together, I had mine on the 15th. I have been dealing with a lot of shoulder pain, but I am using a heating pad and gas-x strips religiously. Today I was finally allowed to shower and wash off all of that orange stuff they painted on my stomach! Haha. Anyway. Hopefully if I have any trouble with my diet or exercise or emotions or whatever, I can come here for help. :)

  8. Besides my parents, I have told my four close friends and my two sisters. Earlier tonight I told one of my oldest and best friends that I only know on the internet. That was the hardest thing to do, I think, because she always knew I was overweight but we've never met so she's just had my pictures to go off of, which doesn't really translate size too well all the time. She was extremely supportive and had nothing but positive things to say! She asked a lot of questions, including but not limited to "So, if you eat very very little with the band, does that mean you only poop once a week? Or like hamster pellets?!". Now that's a good question! I love her. I really lucked out on my support system, didn't I?

  9. I was tentatively scheduled for August 31st!!! I have my history and physical on August 16th and they will tell me if I have to go through a three month diet before hand (even though my insurance was approved already... What?). That would really suck because then they would schedule my surgery riiiiight around Christmas. But for right now... Ignorance is bliss and I'm going to Celebrate being a hopeful August Bandster!! biggrin.gif

  10. I've struggled with my weight my whole life and diets have never worked for me in the past. I was recommended to the lapband surgery by my wonderful aunt who got the surgery over five years ago. When I finally turned 18 in March I decided to follow up with the recommendation and I researched it until my fingers fell off and here I am! My parents' insurance was approved and I have already met with the nutritionist (That was FUN. I got to impress her will everything I've learned from research and The Biggest Loser... Haha) and tomorrow evening I meet with the psychiatrist (I have no idea what to expect with that. Any ideas?). Then, of course, the all-important seminar is this Saturday for me.


    Oddly enough, I have been very brave and excited throughout this whole process up until now. I've read this forum for so long and I'm so scared about whether or not I will fit in here! I'm sure I will survive. Probably.

    Anyway, my name is Mindy and it's nice to meet you all. (And I'm sorry this post was long winded and awkward).

PatchAid Vitamin Patches