Megan: Bariatric Dietitian - How to eat before and after Bariatric Surgery
Janine interviews dietitian and therapist Megan Moore. Megan holds a Bachelor’s of Science in Food Science and Human Nutrition from Washington State University and has been working with bariatric patients since 2013. We discuss:
- What a pre-surgery bariatric diet looks like, and why it is so restrictive.
- The flexibility of a diet post-surgery, including the best foods to eat and whether a strict low-carb or high-protein diet is necessary after weight-loss surgery.
- The stages of weight loss after surgery, and the healing process the stomach must go through to return patients to their best selves.
- Examples of recommended meals for bariatric patients, both before and after surgery.
- Ways bariatric patients can cook food that will minimize complications post-surgery and make tasty meals.
- The “three week stall”, and what bariatric patients can expect from weight loss in the early months.
- The commonality of struggles bariatric patients face, and the resources those patients can turn to.
Megan can be found at her website, My Bariatric Dietitian. Her website is a comprehensive resource for bariatric patients at any stage of their weight-loss journey, and provides understanding and encouragement. She is also active on Pinterest and Instagram, where she posts recipes that she suggests for bariatric patients. Her book of recipes, “The Complete Bariatric Cookbook and Meal Plan: Recipes and Guidance for Life Before and After Surgery”, is available now on Amazon.
This podcast wouldn't be possible without our sponsor, BariatricPal.com. If you're looking for a supportive online network of bariatric patients, be sure to browse their forums and connect with other WLS patients from around the world. Also, you'll find amazing bariatric-friendly foods in their store. If you use the promo code PODCAST with your first order, you'll get 10% off!