Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Global Warming: Real or hoax?

Is global warming real or a hoax?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Is global warming real or a hoax?

• Yes, it's absolutely real.
    • No, I don't believe it for a minute.
    • I'm not sure

A friend told me yesterday that she'd heard all this talk about global warming wasn't true. I'm not sure where she heard this, but it was apparently on some news broadcast.

I'm not sure what I believe, but I'd like to know what others think.

The thing that really sold me on the idea of global warming was the the pictures of the arctic from the 1950's. The pictures of the fields covered in snow and ice and not that same snow and ice has vanished today. Why is it gone now? If nothing is happening, shouldn't the arctic still look the same? If it's not global warming, something bad is happening : /

Poll closed already? L

I didn't want it to be. Guess I don't know how to set up a pole. Any suggestions as to how to make it longer?

I am a global warming sceptic.

I dont swallow everything the experts tell us, hook line and sinker. I think they're panic merchants and over more than just global warming. I could name about ten issues in Australia that were going to have dire consequences over the past decade that have fizzled to nothing. Look at swine flu. Nothing like the worldwide epidemic they predicted.

I particularly hate the way people say our current 12 years and counting drought in Australia is global warming. Drought is a natural, normal part of our climate here, and the way to cope with it is to plan for it within our infrastructure and economic planning, not try to live a lifestyle that relies on European levels of rainfall!

Do people seriously think that there'll never be another ice age for example, or any other climactic conditions that could wipe out humanity? Its a part of the cycle. We have probably hastened warming, but not caused it, and it will occur no matter what we do, just as the world will freeze again at some time in the future.

So in short, I do believe we're warming, yes, but I dont believe we've caused it or can necessarily control it with any significant success. We're current occupants on the planet and not necessarily going to be here forever. I try to make environmentally responsible decisions but I hate this personal responsibilty foisted onto each and every one of us, its bullshit.

Ok Serenity, I re-opened it for ya. Happy polling!

I voted yes BTW. Why? I just do believe it's true.

Thank you, LilMiss

And thank you, Jacqui, Jack and Fae

Debbie.!

Edited by serenity55

I am a global warming sceptic.

I dont swallow everything the experts tell us, hook line and sinker. I think they're panic merchants and over more than just global warming. I could name about ten issues in Australia that were going to have dire consequences over the past decade that have fizzled to nothing. Look at swine flu. Nothing like the worldwide epidemic they predicted.

I particularly hate the way people say our current 12 years and counting drought in Australia is global warming. Drought is a natural, normal part of our climate here, and the way to cope with it is to plan for it within our infrastructure and economic planning, not try to live a lifestyle that relies on European levels of rainfall!

Do people seriously think that there'll never be another ice age for example, or any other climactic conditions that could wipe out humanity? Its a part of the cycle. We have probably hastened warming, but not caused it, and it will occur no matter what we do, just as the world will freeze again at some time in the future.

So in short, I do believe we're warming, yes, but I dont believe we've caused it or can necessarily control it with any significant success. We're current occupants on the planet and not necessarily going to be here forever. I try to make environmentally responsible decisions but I hate this personal responsibilty foisted onto each and every one of us, its bullshit.

This is exactly how I feel.

Yep, I agree with several of the above...DH is a Geologist and we've had this discussion a lot. I didn't answer the poll because my answer isn't there. Do I believe we're in a period of global warming...yep...we went to Alaska a year apart and could actually mark the receding of the glaciers we visited twice. Do I believe we have much influence/cause or control on this now/in the future...nope. It's an 'irregular' cycle that the Earth headed into and there's not much we can do about it with what we know now.

Just go to weather.com and look at the records for any area. The high and low temperature records date back a hundred years a lot of the time.

Global warming is just the latest fad. When I was a kid we had crying indians.

It's hard to say, sometimes I'm a huge sceptic but sometimes I'm not, here in aus we just have come into summer and even in winter here it gets cold but not cold cold but it wasn't cold like it usually is? So I dunno, if the world is supposed to end in 2012 I guess we won't have to worry about it then hey lol

Thank you everyone.

Jack,

You voted for AND against. What's up with that? :)

I don't think that global warming exists. Fort Worth, Texas is part of the globe and it is 32 degrees right now. Hardly what I'd call warming for the deep south.

Look at the weather records for any city on Earth. The highs and lows are all over the place for the last hundred plus years. There is no warming trend across the globe.

Polar warming may exist but if it does, I don't think man has anything to do with it at.

Jack, I have been paying attention, and based on what I'm reading, I'm leaning more and more toward the fact that global warming does not exist.

So thank you for the articles.

Debbie