Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op on solid food feeling no restriction..is this normal

SO I have moved on to solid foods and I am having no trouble eating anything..but that is the problem..I feel like I am eating way too much..I have only lost 15 pounds since op..Havent gotten a fill yet..im just starting to worry I did all this for nothing

Totally normal. It was 3 months post-op and 3 fills before I felt restriction. Until then, I had NO trouble eating meat, pizza, pasta...anything and everything. Most people will gain some weight back during this time, but try to keep following the diet plan your DR put in place. The restriction will come, but now's the time to practice changing your eating habits. And during the Holidays I'm sure it will be more difficult. But hang in there! It does work.

The time between surgery and reaching restriction is called "bandster hell". During this time you will still have a normal appetite and need to rely on your own will-power to keep from overeating. Once you reach adequate restriction your appetite will decrease and you band will start working for you.

Focus on eating Protein and veggies. This has worked well for me and Protein helps to stave off hunger. Try and stick to a 1200 calorie diet or whatever your nutritionist recommends. Make sure you drink at least 64oz of Water everyday too.

Exercise at least 30 minutes everyday. I strive for 60 minutes but 30 is adequate.

Best of luck to you,

Donna

SO I have moved on to solid foods and I am having no trouble eating anything..but that is the problem..I feel like I am eating way too much..I have only lost 15 pounds since op..Havent gotten a fill yet..im just starting to worry I did all this for nothing

I've only lost 5.5 pounds since surgery (4 weeks ago). I know I'm eating more than I will after I have my fills, but I'm not worried about it. I drink my Protein shakes through the day and eat a regular meal at night. I try to keep it to 1 cup of food total, with the majority being vegies and Protein. When I'm 'hungry' (and I mean just a need to eat and not true hunger), I just drink a big glass of Water or crystal lite. That usually gives me the full sensation I'm after.

I have had to be careful to chew well and take small bites since I do seem to have some restriction just from the band. bread doesn't go down easily. I get my first fill tomorrow and I think I'll be bidding farewell to it for some time. Can't wait.

I too, was the same way. The three weeks between going on solids and my first fill was extremely hard. It has only been one week since my first fill, and although I am sure I need another, I do see a huge change in my hunger and the amount I eat. My weight loss has started again, and I am feeling better about it.

I just started a new thread but I have to add it here -

I was banded on Sept 21st and haven't had a fill. Went today and I lost 4 lbs since 3 weeks ago when I was there and they think that's good weight loss so they refused a fill. NUT said to wait until I "really need" one later because you can only fill your band so much.

The thing is - I HAVE NO RESTRICTION! I've just been hitting the gym and "dieting" like I could've before and it's driving me crazy. I got the band for a reason and now I'm just basically doing it on my own.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that I didn't know they can refuse you for losing "enough" on your own so be warned!

I was banded on Sept 21st and haven't had a fill. Went today and I lost 4 lbs since 3 weeks ago when I was there and they think that's good weight loss so they refused a fill. NUT said to wait until I "really need" one later because you can only fill your band so much.

The thing is - I HAVE NO RESTRICTION! I've just been hitting the gym and "dieting" like I could've before and it's driving me crazy. I got the band for a reason and now I'm just basically doing it on my own.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that I didn't know they can refuse you for losing "enough" on your own so be warned!

I would go back to them and tell them you *need* a fill. If they refuse, I'd find another doctor who actually understands what the band is and how to utilize it and who will listen to you.

My doctor said my fills were completely up to me. If I'm hungry and struggling to control how much I'm eating because I do not have restriction, then it's time for a fill and only I know when that time is.

Hi!

I was banded on 9/22/09 and at this point have done everything on my own. I have no restriction and my willpower is caving...I'm so frustrated. I have lost a total of 35 lbs. through diet and exercise (alot of exercise) but after Thanksgiving I have gained 2 lbs. I go for my second fill on Thursday and am hoping to get even a little bit of restriction. How do I get my head back into this? I got the band because I have difficulty sticking to a diet! Fingers crossed for all of us with no restriction that we hit the sweet spot before we get into the holiday sweets!!!

Hi!

I was banded on 9/22/09 and at this point have done everything on my own. I have no restriction and my willpower is caving...I'm so frustrated. I have lost a total of 35 lbs. through diet and exercise (alot of exercise) but after Thanksgiving I have gained 2 lbs. I go for my second fill on Thursday and am hoping to get even a little bit of restriction. How do I get my head back into this? I got the band because I have difficulty sticking to a diet! Fingers crossed for all of us with no restriction that we hit the sweet spot before we get into the holiday sweets!!!

i soooo feel for you! I gained 2 lbs after thanksgiving too..my willpower is caving as well....ive had a few fills banded 7/7. I could have written so much of this! (I got the band...etc...) I have an appt again tomorrow (long story).....and i am hoping to get restricted once again....This is a big step for us - getting this band...we HAVE to succeed with this!!!

wow - this soooo sounds like me and i am only 2 1/2 weeks out . i was banded on November 17th and have been following the diet i was given to a "T". i lost 18lbs and then gained 2 when i went on to pureed - mushy food. Now in all honesty i cannot eat what i used to - i do get full but i have to say i am almost afraid to go to normal food - especially if i have already gained 2 lbs on mushy foods ..... so i think i am beginning to understand bandster hell and i am just a newbie in this cycle :wink2:

15 pounds is great! From all the nutritional counseling and pre-op education I've gotten through my surgeon's office, I've been told not to expect any real weightloss in the first month (before the first fill). They emphasized giving your body time to heal during this time and practicing new habits. My surgeon does not even say you need to restrict the quantity of food that you eat during this time. Rather than measure and restrict food, they just want us to practice what they call the 30-20-30 rule... stop drinking Water 30 minutes before eating, eat for no longer than 20 minutes (no drinking while eating), and then don't drink again for 30 minutes after.

I've told all of my friends and family that I am having this surgery, but also set their expectations that I will not be losing a lot of weight immediately following surgery... that it might take a few months even before the band starts to work. That way if I don't lose weight right away, I don't have to feel bad about it. And, if I do lose weight right away, then its just a bonus! :wink2: